• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 748498View attachment 748499

Old Chevy bed trailer we found on our property.
Thats cool. I have a few old cars on my ranch. There is the faint rusted outline of a Model A, a late 50’s early 60’s Lincoln with suicide doors, and three old trucks. Your post gives me ideas.

My wife will be so mad!!!! I need to be finishing projects, not starting new ones!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s been a while, but I built a new tongue for my 1101. I don’t have a picture of the Pintle in the lowest position, but, you can use your imagination.

Welded a 2.5” receiver hitch to the two 3/8” plates that bolted on the existing tongue. I can remove it and reinstall the original hitch if I want to, but I have two electric brakes sitting in my garage waiting to be installed on it.

6D750A21-C45B-4DE4-B23D-37B5906CA48B.jpg
The tongue is a piece of 2.5” x .250” walled sq tubing. It comes out and you can flip it over to accommodate a lower truck hitch, or flip it the other way for a 5 ton or higher hitch vehicle. Makes towing it close to level with any vehicle a possibility.

It also slides out another 12” (additional hole drilled in tubing to accommodate longer length) if you wanted a longer tongue, to make backing a little easier, or if you just like it longer.

I now have hitch upside down from the pic and the lunette bolted in the lowest position to pull with my truck. It’s almost level.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One side down and nailed shut with correct hardware. Not pretty because I painted the bottom and edges before install and just a little tacky but here don't need pretty just strong. The other side has been worked and Ospho sprayed so now it sits 24 hours or more till try.

Attachments

Dock Rocker

I took my new to me cover to get the zippers sewn back in and put up the stakes and bows.

Going to try to make a low budget camper out of it to see how it works. Just some 12v LED’s and a home made bed for now. Going to drag it on a local camping trip in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my new to me cover to get the zippers sewn back in and put up the stakes and bows.

Going to try to make a low budget camper out of it to see how it works. Just some 12v LED’s and a home made bed for now. Going to drag it on a local camping trip in February.

It should make a good start for a camper, especially with a cover that is worthy of repair.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 752163
Jack is worth every penny
Yeah, the stock “drop-foot” was meant for a bunch of 18-20 year olds to pick it up while another 18-20 year old fiddled with the release lever and dropped the leg while the 18-20 year olds holding it are yelling at him to hurry up!

All 101’s need a jack! That was the only drawback of the 101. That and the 45” between the wheelwells. Who made this trailer??? Whoever it was almost made the perfect utility trailer!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Love the 1101/2 trailer! Lots of room for a bunk on one side and gear on the other! Perfect utility trailer to make into a camper!

Anyone ever put hog panel or plywood up wood up on the front bow to keep the tarp from blowing back into the trailer? It’s like a giant sail!

Dock Rocker

Love the 1101/2 trailer! Lots of room for a bunk on one side and gear on the other! Perfect utility trailer to make into a camper!

Anyone ever put hog panel or plywood up wood up on the front bow to keep the tarp from blowing back into the trailer? It’s like a giant sail!
Right now my plan is to run a 12 inch ring of plywood around the top edge of the trailer body. The sides will be inset into the gaps of the stakes for a flush mount. Then I will bolt the plywood to the stakes.

For the front My current plan is to put a piece of angle across the width of the trailer and nut-sert it to the top rail. Then screw the plywood to the angle. I want to also anchor it to the stakes as well. That should give it some support.

Do you think this will work? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the stock “drop-foot” was meant for a bunch of 18-20 year olds to pick it up while another 18-20 year old fiddled with the release lever and dropped the leg while the 18-20 year olds holding it are yelling at him to hurry up
This is so true.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the stock “drop-foot” was meant for a bunch of 18-20 year olds to pick it up while another 18-20 year old fiddled with the release lever and dropped the leg while the 18-20 year olds holding it are yelling at him to hurry up!

All 101’s need a jack! That was the only drawback of the 101. That and the 45” between the wheelwells. Who made this trailer??? Whoever it was almost made the perfect utility trailer!
I just noticed your hitch tube telescopes out....nice feature and very adaptable to different heights. I'm thinking of a larger version on my M1061 with 5x5x 1/2 and 4x4x 3/8". We make stake pockets on logging trailers with that combination (usually 1/4 wall on the 4x4).

Did you have an issue welding the plates to the outside of the 3" tube receiver? Mine was 3 1/16" and I had to get a 1/16" spacer. Re-using the surge brake made a strip necessary there also. I almost welded the plate to the tube without it and would not have got it on...after drilling, that would have been a mistake.

If anyone needs the jack from my 1101 (no wheel)..... it's surplus. I might be able to get the frame mount off for welding to a 101 like Tinstar has. It still works fine but I wanted a pinned, extendable foot and solid mount. I have one of the leveling legs bottom end from the 1101 that is surplus too. Trade, sell or will give, but you pay UPS.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toby, are you saying your receiver tube was 3 1/16 or the trailer tongue was?

I don’t recall a 1/16 difference anywhere. Mine seemed to fit perfectly, both sandwiches between the 3/8” plates. The two 3/8” side plates are secured with the 3 stock bolts on top, and welded to the receiver hitch. If I want to go back to stock, I just unbolt it and drop the receiver tube off and reinstall the old hitch.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can work that out computer 54.

Buffalobwanna, My trailer tongue and the surge brake are 3 1/16". I almost used the 3" tube I had without a spacer and it would not have went over the steel tongue with the two side plates. If I had not noticed the space on the surge brake, I would have welded and not gotten it on...I came close and hate to have to re-do things. I'm surprised you welded the plates to a 3" and got it on. I used the same 3 holes but added one (tongue not drilled or bolt in yet)...I can't see ever changing back... but could.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks