• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2017 LA rally

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been asking around about having this years rally south of new orleans same time and place as the Blue Angles do a weekend show. Last weekend of april. have some buddies checking on getting us in and doing a display if possible. or find a close place to camp and see them flying around. So lets hear from anyone that could help out or just general imput

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the Naval Air Station in Belle Chase?

There is Bayou Segnette State Park about 15 mi NW of there by road (10 miles by pelican). they have RV and primitive camping there for about $10-28 night.
http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-parks/parks/bayou-segnette-state-park/index

The park is also about 12 road miles from the National WWII Museum (formerly D-Day Museum).

I'm good for that weekend this far out.

Jericho

OLd Belle Chase, Used work the odd A 10 A Warthog. , they had an AF reserve unit flying form there and we (23rd TFW ACTIVE , England AFB LA ) did trng and touch and goes, when they became a touch and come too a full stop for maintenance we used to drive down to recover them, hope they fixed it up, used to be pretty rundown when Navy had it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the Naval Air Station in Belle Chase?

There is Bayou Segnette State Park about 15 mi NW of there by road (10 miles by pelican). they have RV and primitive camping there for about $10-28 night.
http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-parks/parks/bayou-segnette-state-park/index

The park is also about 12 road miles from the National WWII Museum (formerly D-Day Museum).

I'm good for that weekend this far out.
Yes, that is where I am thinking is best for everyone. Primitive or Rv camper hook up sites for those that want to arrive and mingle Fri for social/swap meet. Food close by on West Bank Expressway (Hwy 90). I think there is also a pavilion. I am going to revist the site maybe tomorrow and explore what they can do for us.

Leave convoy style Sat am to the Air Show. I have a call into the Lt Commander who is in charge of Static Displays & performers for the New Orleans Air Show. I am requesting space for us to display our vehicles together maybe on the tarmac. Visitors normally use the side gate and park on the old runway and are bused to the hangers/tarmac. I am hoping with permission we can convoy in and go to our spot directly. Eat Lunch on site with vendors. When air show over convoy to dinner at Hooters or some other food joint on westbank. Those that camp can then return to the park.

Air show is also on Sunday and for those that want maybe the same plan and then depart directly back home on Sunday.

Of course everything on Sat would depend on base clearance and we would need a critical mass number of deuces, 5 tons, wreckers, etc to make this happen.

Also need feedback:
Do you like the plan?
Are you available?
Can you bring MV?
Suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/2017NewOrleansAirShow/

http://www.neworleansairshow.com/

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their show is amazing. You will have a great time watching those close calls. Other planes are on display as well

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to be clear, Tim originally said the last weekend of April, 4/29-30, but the Air Show is 4/22-23. If you are marking your calendar or asking for a wife pass, make sure you use April 22-23.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think i will have to make a trip to see about a local that is close came ground. i hope we can get enought guys interested. a swap meet that friday and the weekend for the blue angles show. lets get some ideas on food. i can bring the mkt and cook in the evenings and breakfast or does every one want to just bring there own food

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rally at Bayou Senette & New Orleans Air Show

The 2017 New Orleans Air show is back after a 6 year hiatus. The Blue Angels along with their jet assist c130 short take off performance along with many other military and civilian performers.

I have gotten preliminary green light from the base military organizer for Steel Soldiers to have space on the runway for a static display of Military Vehicles. This is huge and will give us primo real estate close to the action up close. Details are to be worked out but I proposed that we meet and convoy in as a group and have been given tentative approval. We will likely have to have a mirror inspection and possible bomb detection dogs. Time and specific details will be announced. There will be food and concessions available.

The airshow is Sat & Sun. I need a survey of how many of you will participate with a truck and are you available for Sat? Sunday?

On the west bank maybe 20 miles and 40 min drive time from the base is Bayou Segnette State park. I propose we do a swap meet/social on Friday. Those that wish to tent camp or rv/trailer can stay on the grounds. There is commercial food locations on west bank Hwy 90 not too far.

All trucks will meet at the park Sat am and we will convoy to the assigned gate and security procedures. Alternate would be for those who are closer to meet somewhere close to base and then join us. I am not sure if stragglers will be allowed in. Need to get info on that. Normally all participants are parked on an old runway and school bused in with no direct access. We can go to dinner at Hooters or other location after show.

Repeat for Sunday for those interested. I need to let them know if we are participating Sun?

The campgrounds are nice & have a table at each site along with hook up sites. Each site can accommodate rv or trailer. For primitive camping and small trailers, you could buddy up as 6 are allowed and 2 vehicles should fit on the pad. I have attached a map. All reservation are through the state park website. If you reserve a site then post up so others can be close to you as there many available. 2 bathroom/shower complexes. The only down side I see is that there is no shelter or pavilion at the camp site so we would need someone to bring a popup and be the "host".

There are also nice cabins in the park maybe 2 miles away. Kind of pricey but can accommodate 8 people. Cabin #4 has the most parking available with 8 slots so if you are buddying up and need parking space that is best.

Please post back feedback and your thoughts as we want to make this the best we can for everyone?

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sweet.. lets hear from the gallery and make up our minds soon. lets get a count. ill bring 2 pop up tents and with some firewood we will be in business. the faster we get on this the better

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
7 hour trip in a civi vehicle but man the Blue Angels are totally awesome. Would love to hook up with somebody to be in the back if I drive down to get on the airstrip.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Not to be a wet blanket or anything but I think I should state what I know to be true here.....not to say it applies there....but....

Anyone without a military ID card has to be "vetted" before entry to the military installation....which means a background check at the "visitor center". If you have ever passed gas in public...you may be on the "bad boy list".:roll:

Having said that...don't be discouraged because we managed to get 5 Vietnam Guntrucks on Fort Benning, Georgia and 22 POV's in convoy behind us...but it took some heavy horse power from some high state level folks to make it happen. The "vetting" was my butt and those of several other folks if anything went even remotely wrong. I had to personally vouch for everyone...and believe me, several folks had to stay at the hotel because they couldn't "pass muster".

Just something to be aware of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks