• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2017 LA rally

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Show static displays. C:\Users\Doug\Desktop\Public\Pictures\Dougs photos\Military Vehicles\Rallys\2017 LA Rally Air Show\smalls

USAF Beechcraft T-6 Texan II
sm Beechcraft T-6 Texan II.jpg sm Beechcraft T-6 Texan II providing shade.jpg

Marine Bell AH-1W Super Cobra, being replaced by the newer 4-bladed and portside stabilizer AH-1Z Viper
sm Bell AH-1Z Viper -01.jpg sm Bell AH-1Z Viper -02.jpg

Marine Bell UH-1Y Venom (also called the Super Huey) - an upgrade from the Bell UH-1N Twin Huey. Note 4 main rotors and portside tail rotor on opposite side Twin Huey
sm Bell UH-1Y Venom 01.jpg sm Bell UH-1Y Venom 02.jpg

USAF Bell UH-1H II
sm Bell UH-1H II 04.jpg

B-52 Stratofortress
sm Boeing B-52 Stratofortress.jpg

Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker
sm Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker.jpg

Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin
sm Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin 01.jpg sm Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin 02.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think maybe that dome is Profo's rear camera?

Continued photos, and I hope I have the identifications correct:

Cobras and Venom inserting Marines while providing cover
sm Cobras and UH-1Y -03.jpg

Rare (one of only 6 flying) de Havilland DH-115 Vampire
sm de Havilland DH-115 Vampire 01.jpg sm de Havilland DH-115 Vampire 02.jpg

SS lineup amonst the planes and helocopters
sm IMG_3633.jpg

P-47 Thunderbolt and F-16 Viper
sm P-38 and F-16 Viper 01.jpg sm F-16 Viper 02.jpg sm P-38.jpg

P-51 Mustang
sm P-51 02 IMG_3746.jpg sm P-51 03 IMG_3749.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued :

Army UH-60 Blackhawk used as jumping platform for Black Daggers from Ft. Bragg
sm IMG_3671.jpg

Black Daggers
sm IMG_3696.jpg sm IMG_3700.jpg sm IMG_3702.jpg

F/A-18+ Hornet latest version based at the JNAS New Orleans. They also flew in demonstration at the air show.
sm IMG_3669.jpg sm IMG_3732.jpg

Blue Angels flying F/A-18 Hornets
sm IMG_3646.jpg sm IMG_3659.jpg sm IMG_3660.jpg sm IMG_3812.jpg sm IMG_3816.jpgsm IMG_3813.jpg sm IMG_3814.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And that would be a P-47 Thunderbolt in the pics here attached. The P-38 is the twin boom airframe (the one that took down Yamamoto).
thanks for the correction. I knew I'd get something wrong, just too many planes and I'm fairly ignorant of them.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last ones. There were other jet trucks and exhibition planes, but not military so don't fit here:

Lockheed C-130
sm Lockheed C-130 01.jpgsm Lockheed C-130 04.jpg

Lockheed WC-130J Hurricane Hunter (read the tail)
sm Lockheed WC-130J Hurricane Hunter 02.jpg sm Lockheed WC-130J Hurricane Hunter 01.jpg sm Lockheed WC-130J Hurricane Hunter 03.jpg

Army Bi-plane, that's all I know about it
sm IMG_3661.jpg

This was an exhibition pilot and bi-plane. Don't know who he is, but his nickname ought to be 'Dizzy'
sm IMG_3792.jpg

Marine MV-22B Osprey
sm Marine MV-22B 02.jpg sm Marine MV-22B 03.jpg

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle and extra engine
sm McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle.jpg sm McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle engine.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

thanks for the correction. I knew I'd get something wrong, just too many planes and I'm fairly ignorant of them.
It's hard to keep track of them all, and there's always something new to learn. Learned about some new bomber variant just the other day (precursor to the B-52); who knew?!

HanksDeuce

I had a wonderful time with everyone today. Although some of the kids were brutal my bobber made it through without anything broken. 2 hour trip there, 2 hour trip home.

I'll post pictures after I get some sleep. Got up at 0300 this morning to be at the credit union for 0630. Left at 1500 behind Juan. Hardly any traffic.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a wonderful time with everyone today. Although some of the kids were brutal my bobber made it through without anything broken. 2 hour trip there, 2 hour trip home.

I'll post pictures after I get some sleep. Got up at 0300 this morning to be at the credit union for 0630. Left at 1500 behind Juan. Hardly any traffic.
Sorry our schedules didn't jive and we missed each other. Hope the rain missed you today.

Kids (both big and small) loved being able to touch and sit in the big trucks and Hmmwvs, unlike the Corvette Club whose members would probably have had heart attacks if a fruit drink or Philly cheese steak came within 10 feet of their highly polished car. There were even a couple of guys who had ridden in a van like mine while in the service and were telling their families about it.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just getting home and mostly unloaded.. many thanks to juan that did all the grunt work this year. i had a dream 6 months ago of getting some steel soldiers trucks lined up for this event and it happened. everyone had a blast today as much as saturday. our trucks became center of attention for over a 1000 kids and adults too as the lines to tour the trucks were 30ft deep most of the time. In and out of the trucks. i will post up my pics tomorrow as its late and supper is one. thanks to those that came and made this event happen. only heard praise from everyone we came in contact with. The air show from start to finish was awesome to say the least.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a wrap!

I would like to thank all our La & Ms Steel Soldiers that participated.

Awesome air show, smooth security procedures, no waiting and no parking for us ! :) And talking about being placed almost in the center of the action, front of Runway, and right there with the Blue Angels! Heck, There would have been no better way to see an air show! You" all who did not make it; missed a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience an air show like we did.

Our Liaison Chief was great and even the Lt. Cmdr in charge of the air show came to thank us as many of his static exhibitors had pulled out at the last minute. I told him are you kidding, THANK YOU AND THE NAVY for the vip treatment! I have emailed everyone today our heartfelt thanks!

Marty and his family deserve a shout out for feeding me and keeping me hydrated! Thanks to Tim for his vision for this year's rally!

Pics of the trucks Sat.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks