• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 distributor problem

BBUR

I just purchased a 1953 m37 that has been converted to a 12v system with a conventional distributor. When the engine is running the distributor wobbles +/- 5 degrees as if its driveshaft is bent. Is anyone familiar with this issue? Is it the distributor shaft or its main drive gear/shaft? Where can I get a new or re manufactured distributor?

Bill W

Both the civie and military dists have a tapered slot on the bottom of their shafts that fit into the oil pump, the slot on the mil dist is offset ( see picture ) whereas the civie slot is centered on the shaft, so if the previous owner did not change out the military oil pump with a civie one when he installed the 12v dist than your gonna have a wobble from the civie shaft not being aligned with the offset groove in the mil oil pump.

Attachments

BBUR

Thanks Bill. That makes perfect sense. Looks like I'll need to change the oil pump to the civilian version. I presume I'll need to drop the oil pan to change the pump. Any pointers would be helpful. I appreciate your advice!

Bill W

No you don't need to drop the pan as the oil pump is external and bolts into the side of block ( pic ). My tip would be to go buy or look up TM 9-1840A engine rebuild manual for the M-37 being you will have to align the pump slot ( aprox 1 o'clock position ) via the cam gear with tdc on #1.

Attachments

Last edited:

BBUR

Thanks Bill. I ordered an engine manual and am looking for a new civilian oil pump now. Good design not having to drop the oil pan to replace the pump.

toddbe

Bill, Thanks for the above photo. Helped me figure my problem. I'm converting my engine back to 24 volts for the M43 I'm working on. Todd

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks