• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland military vehicle policy/legislation .... need input.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Through some back channel conversations with the Maryland State Police, I have been informed that how they, and the Maryland MVA will handle former military vehicles in the future is a topic that will be vetted very soon. The resulting policies and recommendations will likely be used to alter the Maryland Code. The MSP representative I am dealing with is aware of my involvement in the hobby and has asked if I would provide input and recommendations going forward. At this early stage, I'm not sure if this was a casual request or if a formal committee will be formed. Of course I agreed, but I want to make no missteps that would have state wide or national implications. I have prior experience in State law, policy and lobbying, but this is new territory for me. I have reached out to the MVPA and I am waiting to hear back from them. Also, I do not intend to hold in depth, revealing or potentially damaging open conversations on the boards, so PM me if you have direction. I am in the process of researching other state laws and regulations in preparation of these discussions, but I know there are other considerations that must be taken into account. As you all know, once these laws are on the books, changing them is difficult. This may be our chance to help shape any future proposed legislation. PM me.

desmodromic

Good luck. This is exactly the type of proactive effort we need to ensure the future viability of our hobby. While I MD law may not be controlling where many of us live, there is no doubt that a ripple effect is a real concern. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ping me via PM with your details and we can talk. Lots of information as we did this in GA

saddamsnightmare

February 5th, 2017.

See MADuece on here as regards the bill he had passed here in Illinois creating and excellent "Former Military Vehcle plate" that did not have the restrictions of an "Antique" plate. THe man was right up front in working with the Illinois State Secretary of State's office which handles plates, to get a bill through that was, if anything, even better then the Texas FMV plate regulations.

It would be will worth your time to contact MAdeuce.

Have a Great Morning, and good luck!:smile:

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a great conversation with Kevin Lockwood, on his advice, I am seeking another enthusiast of the hobby here in MD. who is active or retired military or law enforcement to join me in these discussions with MSP. The higher ranking, the better.

Last edited:

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, the latest is that MSP is taking no position on military vehicles and will follow the MD MVA's policy, which seems to be no policy at this point. Apparently someone from the Frederick area has an MV with no title or transfer papers that is raising holy **** over the fact that the State won't issue him an assigned vin, and won't title without proper paperwork. It only takes one I suppose to get bureaucrats to start looking. I suppose at this point there are two options. 1, leave it alone and see what happens, or 2, get proactive with the legislature in crafting protective legislation. More to follow.

NormB

Ok, the latest is that MSP is taking no position on military vehicles and will follow the MD MVA's policy, which seems to be no policy at this point. Apparently someone from the Frederick area has an MV with no title or transfer papers that is raising holy **** over the fact that the State won't issue him an assigned vin, and won't title without proper paperwork. It only takes one I suppose to get bureaucrats to start looking. I suppose at this point there are two options. 1, leave it alone and see what happens, or 2, get proactive with the legislature in crafting protective legislation. More to follow.

Or, in true old-school military fraternal fashion, find the aforementioned individual and get him alone for some wall-to-wall counseling and/or a blanket party.

Or the digital equivalent of same.

Chief_919

More and more problems with our hobby are created by shady and unscrupulous flippers who buy trucks and never title them and then pass them off to unsuspecting buyers either with an SF-97 that is worthless because it is not in their name or a bill of sale only that is worthless in most states.

These flippers know what they are doing is screwing the buyers, but don't care. It allows them to make a few extra hundred bucks and flip the trucks faster so they don't mind screwing the buyers and, as this case shows, potentially a lot of other people as the problems keep popping up. And in many cases it is the sellers trying to evade paying taxes and/or being licensed as a used car dealer in their states.

I have had so many people come into my shop looking for help because they got stuck just like that. See a truck on Craigslist or eBay, buy it with the buyer handing off an SF-97 in the sellers name or some other persons name and a bill of sale and telling them they can get a title with that. Then they go to the DMV and get told no, then they try to bond a title and get told they can't bond a title because they know who the last owner was and they must go back to that last owner and have him title it right and sign that title over.

As a group we need to start calling out all these people who are engaging in the shady practice of flipping trucks without providing proper titles. If we don't police our own ranks with peer pressure and shunning the shady ones then eventually it will draw more and more attention from the states who are going to step in and probably in ways that hurt all of us.

Last edited:

jpfever

I have also reached out to MVA in regards to FMVs. I was provided the information that could be of assistance. I have also copied Delegate Neil C. Parrott (R) in correspondence between myself, the MVA and the Maryland State Police ASED. I believe that Delegate Parrott is going to attempt to pass legislation next year to make it easier to register FMVs in the state. I would ask that you write your state legislators and ask that they join Delegate Parrott in getting the a bill passed or an update made to the CFR to include another class of vehicle (FMV) that meet MIL-STD-800, which states that all military vehicles will be built to meet FVMSS unless the FVMSS interferes with the mission purpose of the MV.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a complex issue, so please look out for the pitfalls and unintended consequences of any such legislation. I've been looking at this for some time, have talked with many local and national advocates and I am willing to offer input and assistance.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks