• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually conversion done simple on the cheap.

Jericho

A company that's widely known does make dually conversion spacers, rims, fenders. (crafty fellers) I installed a set on my F250 superduty a few years sgo, works just fine DOES NOT INCREASE LOAD CAPACITY , cost me around 1200 , 250 350 same basic axle and springs, BUT a real dually axle can be had for around 400, Looks nice installed " supercab dually" , but could have done it cheaper if I had looked around longer with a dually axle. spacers were good quality, never had an issue , but REAL axle would have been the better deal in the long run/

Jericho

It will work, I run 37s on my ford with no lift , I do get some rub on tight turns when its lock to lock ,

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 6.5 turbo, makes a estimated 200 wheel HP and 450 torque, kinda built up.
4L80E transmission, built to tow.
Looking for a trailer hauler: goose neck, 5th wheel, bumper w weight dist hitch.
I'm looking for a do it all truck.
The companion hitch that does both is what I'm considering down the road. My main concern is my truck sits high on the 36 inch tires, no lift. Will the 5th, goose neck Hitch's work? I've only ever towed w a weight dist hitch.
You crack me up, corelokt. Not knowing the tongue weights of the trailers you intend to pull, I still don't have a clue how much beef you will need at the rear axle.
I have a B&W fifth wheel still in the box, by the way, should you happen to drive by here. Realized that I rather convert the trailer to a gooseneck.
Whether the trailers will work with your height depends on the trailer. Older ones seems to be made for lower tow vehicles. A late model Ram or Ford probably sits taller than your M1008 on 36s...which you'll have to get rid of anyway if you decided to go with duals.
Your drive train sounds nice, but let's put things in perspective. I'm trading down from the Pete's 425 hp and 1,800 ft.-lbs. to 385 hp and 900 ft.-lbs. Yes, there's less weight for the Ram 3500 to pull around, but it's nothing like the Pete. And you're at about half of those power numbers, although with better gearing.
If I were you I'd borrow a bumper pull trailer weighing some 15,000 lbs. (with load) and take it for a careful test drive before deciding how to go about this.

Aw shucks,
I've been running all tow hitch trailers, but I have no way to whey tongue weight.
I'm running lower power than many, but did what I could to make more power.
I've got a military repower Navistar block, hx40 turbo, WMI, all sorts of cooling for coolant, oil, and trans. I'm twin sticking the 205 for a low range if I need it.
I don't really know what more I can do other than try to put the weight over the axle.
Are you saying theres no reason to bother?
I'd like be able to run dual axle trailers as heavy as a non CDL will let me. (Booze and meth testing and all that, you know)
I don't own an RV, but if I could make a buck moving them around...
Cattle trailer, equipment trailer, enclosed cargo, etc...
That's what I'm hoping, after I get moved.
Oh, btw, I don't get why, but a lot people seem to find me funny, unusual, odd, bizarre, incoherant, unfocused, A.D.D., dyslexic, schizophrenic, bipolar, obsessive, depressive, compulsive, autistic, anti-social, suffering PTSD, insufferable, annoying, bothersome, and hiding in their attic.
I've been told by some people, that some of the people who tell me these things, only I can hear, but I believe them all, because that's just the trusting sort of guy I am.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, corelokt, for a minute I thought you were describing me there.
I think the main difference here is that I've been there, done that. Yes, even have a CDL still, even though I never have driven commercially. Got the doubles/triples endorsement so I could make driving (especially backing up) a bit more challenging. I like challenges.
So not saying don't bother, just that you might end up spending time and money on something that won't be what you want/need. Like I did. And I may well be doing it again, thinking that a 3500 will be able to take the Pete's place. But after 18 years it's time to try something different, again.
Making a buck moving RVs around? Well, now you've entered the commercial world and will have to get a CDL, DOT number, and have a host of other not so fun things to deal with.
Stay below 26,000 lbs. GVWR and don't drive/tow for compensation and you'll have more fun and a simpler life.
If you insist on complexity, buy a FLU419.

EDIT: To check tongue weight, there are simple scales available...which I can't remember the name of now. Have two of them, though.

I don't foresee a CDL, sleep apnea. Figured I might make pin money doing some dual axle hauling.
Not likely?
Trying to become more self employed after 30 years of being a nurse. Need to have guy work for a change, and gunsmithing isn't going to pay the bills, even tho I enjoy it.
With a bigger injection pump and an intercooler I could get up to 300 HP and 500 torque. More than that is making engine trouble.
I may eventually box the frame or add boxed cross members.
This is my truck:
86 CUCV, 6.5 Navistar, ARP Studs top and bottom, HX40WII Turbo, 3 into 4 into 5 inch exhaust, Exhaust manifolds and ports ground to match, 14 ply 9-16-36 bias ply tires, H.O. Water pump, Hi CFM fan, 4 cored industrial radiator, Remote oil cooler, Dual alts, 4L80E transmission, Twin sticked NP205, 2 transmission coolers, 4010 u- joints, Water methanol injection, Rebuilt injection pump and hi pop injectors, Steering cooler in radiator, Detroit locker, Dual tanks, fuel pumps and filters, Oil, Trans, Water temp gauges, Pyro, Tach, Boost gauges, Oil press, Fuel press, Volt gauges, Trans press gauge.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you think that running hot shot will pay the bills you're even more of an optimist than I am.
Go grab a CDL handbook at your local DMV. If reading that doesn't discourage you (not that you seem to want a CDL) you could always take your chances and run illegally.
Probably wouldn't earn you free room and board if you get caught, but likely a fine that would really cripple your vehicle building plans.
If nothing else, as has been pointed out by others earlier, even if you put tandem axles with duals on your 1008, they'll probably still go by your original GVWR which would limit what you can legally pull/load.

rustystud

I don't foresee a CDL, sleep apnea. Figured I might make pin money doing some dual axle hauling.
Not likely?
Trying to become more self employed after 30 years of being a nurse. Need to have guy work for a change, and gunsmithing isn't going to pay the bills, even tho I enjoy it.

There is nothing wrong with being a Nurse ! They make great money and can get work in any city. As far as making money hauling that is a "hard row to plow !" Have a few friends that did that and only one still is and he barely makes "ends meet" . The money you will spend on repairs on your truck and the extra insurance and you will need the CDL all adds up. About the CDL, don't try and get by without it. Here in WA state the fine for driving commercial without the proper CDL and paper work is a killer ! At the minimum they will take your truck and impound it and the fine and fees from that alone will be in the thousands.

Oops, my bad. I meant only towing two axle trailers, not putting two axles on my truck. Trying to stay legal. I don't know the laws, I assumed two axles was non DOT regulated under a certain weight. Like I could trailer a car, cattle trailer, etc.

rustystud

Oops, my bad. I meant only towing two axle trailers, not putting two axles on my truck. Trying to stay legal. I don't know the laws, I assumed two axles was non DOT regulated under a certain weight. Like I could trailer a car, cattle trailer, etc.
It isn't so much the weight but the "commercial" aspect of it. Look at all the hub-bub from the "Uber" and other taxi services. It is all about the city and state getting their share of the money !

Hated to do it, but read a little on the subject.
Under 26k, over 10k is non CDL, but needs a DOT# and medical certificate card.
Sleep apnea, if treated and CPAP used 70% or more is legal. Even for CDL.
What is the cost of a CDL?

Stoopid taxes. Moving out of NY to get away from them. Besides my FFL, I needed a business licence and a special license to work on handguns, even tho I have a carry permit. All about the money. It's bad enough what they tax your income alone.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A misunderstanding, corelokt, I knew that you meant tandem axle trailers.
But whether the trailer is a single, tandem, or tridem is largely irrelevant. It's what those axles and tires are rated to carry that counts, just like with your M1008.
I'm guessing that the more you learn about hauling, especially for a living, the less likely you'll be to give it a try.
But if you do, forget about using your M1008 and start pricing out a 4500 or 5500 and some sort of sleeper. Come to think of it, for less money you could buy my Pete and living quarters trailer. There's room in the rear for cargo, it'll outlast a medium duty truck, and I have a con gear and flatbed for it, all on air ride except the steer axle.
That way, when you go broke hauling, you'll at least have a nice place to live. The little trailer with firewood in it is already sold, so you're on your own there.stuff 048.jpg

86m1028

A misunderstanding, corelokt, I knew that you meant tandem axle trailers.
But whether the trailer is a single, tandem, or tridem is largely irrelevant. It's what those axles and tires are rated to carry that counts, just like with your M1008.
I'm guessing that the more you learn about hauling, especially for a living, the less likely you'll be to give it a try.
But if you do, forget about using your M1008 and start pricing out a 4500 or 5500 and some sort of sleeper. Come to think of it, for less money you could buy my Pete and living quarters trailer. There's room in the rear for cargo, it'll outlast a medium duty truck, and I have a con gear and flatbed for it, all on air ride except the steer axle.
That way, when you go broke hauling, you'll at least have a nice place to live. The little trailer with firewood in it is already sold, so you're on your own there.View attachment 666009

Nice grocery getter FLU !

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. It's great fun to drive, especially bob tailing, as it keeps up with many cars. Even at about 36,000 lbs. as pictured above, it can reel in some cars on long steep grades. Having an 18-speed helps a lot there.
Usually my Jeep goes in the rear of the living quarters trailer, but when I got into Unimog SEEs it comes in handy for pulling what's normally the second trailer. DSCN0141.jpg
Can't recall if it ever went to the grocery store, but I often take it to breakfast, the post office, etc.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been running all tow hitch trailers, but I have no way to whey tongue weight.
Okay, found it. The ones I have are called Load Master. Started out with a 0-1,000 unit, later got one that goes to 2,000 lbs.
They're easy to use, and useful for weighing all kinds of stuff. Since I've largely switched over to gooseneck trailers, these days they're not used as often as the tongue weight is less critical.
Of course, for a tongue weight value to be meaningful, you need to first know the total weight of the trailer and load.

rustystud

Stoopid taxes. Moving out of NY to get away from them. Besides my FFL, I needed a business licence and a special license to work on handguns, even tho I have a carry permit. All about the money. It's bad enough what they tax your income alone.
You cannot even give away a car to your own brother without paying taxes on it ! I gave my brother our old 1999 Honda Civic since his old car has over 470,000 miles on it ! That's right almost half a million miles ! The old thing is barely holding together though, so they desperately needed a new car but could not afford one. At the license transfer place they wanted the value of the car for tax purposes ! If you think about it the average car gets sold three times. That's three times it's taxed ! I've always been glad that we are on a well so we don't pay the water bill and tax. Now some A$$ Wipe in the legislature is trying to pass a "Well Water Tax" !!!! Our fore-fathers would roll-over in their graves if they only knew what we are putting up with in all these taxes we pay. They started a revolution for having to pay only 4% of their income !
I'm sorry for getting on this rant, but taxes are a real sore spot for me. Especially land tax. If you think about it we never really own our land but just "rent" it from the government ! Don't think so ? Then just don't pay your rent (taxes) and see what happens !
:rant:

86m1028

Looks like a Dana 70 to me.
If you look on the housing near the tubes it should be cast in the center section.

Measure wms to wms, it's a wide dually axle (should be 72in).

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, 10 bolt cover, 4" axle tubes, distance between spring perches and dually brake drums, Dana 70 HD. Can't tell what ratio from here or spring perch center to center. It would be good to have u-bolt caps and sway bar to match with new u-bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks