• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A has power at the convenient outlets but no power at the terminals.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, not only slow down, but also realize what unit he has.

A 6115-01-414-9697 power plant an/mjq-35a (2 x MEP-802A with switch box)

It really depends on the year and type of switch box. Some will not let it engage until other safeties are met. Some of the switch boxes are smart, and some older are not. I would suggest you read the TM for the power plant and understand the switch box.

The Power Plant of 5kw size is only meant to safely keep 5kw power. Not to be used in tandem. 1 unit is running for a while, and its time to change the oil, the 2nd unit is started and matched to the sine wave of power, and it uses the switch box to get in sync, you transfer over to the 2nd unit, you then shut down the first unit and change oil etc...

The Power Plant with 15kw and higher allow for tandem use, Parallel power generation.

As a test, I would suggest you have everything off. Fire up the unit you want to measure, test it. power it off. Power up you 2nd unit, test it, power it off. At least until you understand the switch box.

dbeasty

I have a similar problem with a standalone trailer mounted MEP802A , no power at lugs, but have power at the convenience outlet.

I have it setup on L3-LO on panel and on inner panel on 120V/1PH

I did close the AC interrupter switch..

Checked CB1 and FU1 ( for resistance) and under power.

( I also tested 120/240 setup but no difference )

I was wondering if it is a grounding problem, I did a temporary grounding to ground by connecting G and L0 and just few inches to ground, but I think that might not be enough…

Should I maybe just connect the G lug to the other side of the generator G receptacle?

I am in process of getting proper grounding rod, but how critical is the grounding, will I be able to read voltage between the L3 and LO if not grounded properly..??

Interesting is that when I open the AC interrupter switch ofter it being closed I get decreasing reading like 40V 20V 3V etc. for a bit..and settles back at 0. I almost seems like AC interrupter switch is not triggering what is supposed to..

Can you please point me to manual I should be using and which section to troubleshoot this.. and or suggestions, comments?

Guyfang

Staff member
Grounding has to do with saving your life, not anything to do with output.

If you turn S8 to three phase, and the S6 to match it, then all load terminals should be hot, when the output contactor is closed. Makes for easyer testing. Then fire it up, turn on the S5, and check if your load terminals are hot. Then check from L1, L2 and L3 to LO. Should be 120 volts. If not, then K1 is not closing. The 120 volt outlet is not hooked up to the K1 circuit. First and foremost, download the TM's and get smart, before doing anything else.

dbeasty

Thanks for pointing to place in manuals and potential cultprint. I will test the three phase mode first and than will try to follow to relay/K1 circuit troubleshooting steps and report.

dbeasty

I got generator working ( after I opened the glued lid) and started to test the K1 switch.., the issue was that I did not know how to operate my new volt meter, there is a subswitch to turn for alternate current....

Well at least I learned bit more about the generator...,, sorry about that.

Anyhow after that hooked up the connector L1, L3, L2, and L0 ( per my electricion advise) , measureed it; hooked to house generator switch and all seems to be good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks