• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help locating alternator pulley for fmtv m1088

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought an M1088 fmtv tractor truck, and the alternator was missing. I found an alternator, but it did not come with a pulley! it is the 200 amp dual voltage niehoff upgraded alternator. I need the 2 grove pulley with the .875 bore. not sure what the outside diameter is supposed to be. I looked on the TM manual and couldn't get the number to cross at napa.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the NSN from the parts TM?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought an M1088 fmtv tractor truck, and the alternator was missing. I found an alternator, but it did not come with a pulley! it is the 200 amp dual voltage niehoff upgraded alternator. I need the 2 grove pulley with the .875 bore. not sure what the outside diameter is supposed to be. I looked on the TM manual and couldn't get the number to cross at napa.
I have some
PM me

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you find one yet?

Please update

Should I move this to the classifieds?

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I did find one. It was a really hard, but I ended up with one that had the same shaft diameter and close to the same outside diameter, but I had to machine it a little to get the alignment right. It was a .875 shaft and I believe a 3.75 outside diameter. Couldn't find an exact match anywhere.

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I had to make a new bracket for the bolt on the top. And I had to use a chainsaw file to enlarge the holes on the two large terminal connectors to make them fit the larger lugs.

74M35A2

0.875" is standard heavy duty 7/8" alternator shaft diameter. Numerous different ones easily available with various belt types, offset, diameter, etc....

There is a balancing act on higher output alternators, because you want them to spin fast to charge at idle, yet with a smaller alternator pulley, there is much less belt wrap, and a much higher chance of belt slippage and squealing if you can really load the alternator to its max. Most high output alternators will have a larger diameter pulley on them for this specific reason, and then people may have a non-charging situation at a low idle speed.

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From all the research I did with the nsn online, I am pretty sure I have the correct dimensions. The only way to guarantee it is to find a similar truck with this setup and double check it. The only thing that was different was the offset. I had a machine shop mill that down until I got a perfect alignment on the belts. So hopefully I am all set with that.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Most of the other military alternators are a bit longer than the Lmtv ones since they fit in front of the turbo. Other military trucks with the cat engines have the alternator up a bit higher but the cab comes down so there's no room to move it up on the Lmtv.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I did find one. It was a really hard, but I ended up with one that had the same shaft diameter and close to the same outside diameter, but I had to machine it a little to get the alignment right. It was a .875 shaft and I believe a 3.75 outside diameter. Couldn't find an exact match anywhere.
I have six of them but you never contacted me.

Glad you got it worked out.

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I fell down a rabbit hole researching part numbers, and never checked back in on my thread to see that you had one. Guess I did it the hard way! Lol! Now I am looking for door latches. Dam near impossible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks