• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-military 20' Trailer Strengthening Advice

DanM7890

Here's where we get back to the regularly scheduled trailer programming, Ahab.

I know what you're saying about loading and unloading a non-deckover, Dan. This morning I ordered 84-inch fork extensions because of one.
In theory that should allow loading a cabover camper onto an 18' gooseneck since the fenders are removable. IF fork placement versus tires, and center of gravity on the camper, all happen to coincide. That remains to be seen.
Of course, it's also an unknown if one forklift will handle it, or if I need to use two. Or maybe it's better to build spreaders and use the crane(s)? One definite advantage is that I can operate both cranes simultaneously, not so with the forklifts.
A logical person would put the camper on the tow vehicle, the normal and simple way, but I do like trailers. And apparently also problems.
I guess I can elaborate about the intended use a little more. So I love having a trailer and I share with my family who uses it sometimes as well to pickup 20' lumber or metal. First an foremost I need a trailer for hauling, and my non-deckover just didn't fit the bill. Once done this will suit my needs for hauling perfectly. Secondly, I would like a way to haul one of my s-280 shelters. Now I started this trailer project before I picked up my M720 shelter dolly, and I must say that dolly is pretty nice and keeps the shelter CG pretty low, so I may end up just using the S280/M720 setup as a camper. Instead of putting the camper in my truck, I can park and leave it behind all setup and not worry about off-roading the main vehicle.

Lastly, who doesn't love having options :p

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lastly, who doesn't love having options :p
Exactly! That's how I ended up with 16 trailers, and would still like to have a few more.
Then again, I really should sell the 25-foot aluminum gooseneck, the home built light tandem axle made especially for my flatfender Jeep, and maybe even the extra low overall height enclosed V-nose...well, the ones I rarely use anymore.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring your wallet and come get it.IMG_2144.jpg
One thing that really impressed me with this one is that there's no weld at the kink on the gooseneck. It's built the right way, not the easy way.IMG_2143.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, you had to ask, didn't you, Ahab? I don't remember how much it weighs (but I do know where the title is, so I can look it up).
Anyway, it sits on 7,000-lb. axles so probably good for about 9-10,000 lbs. The trailer itself is plenty stout, but it is axle/spring/tire limited at this point.
I did consider getting heftier axles for it, and/or adding a third one, but once I got into the Unimog FLUs it wouldn't be enough anyway. That's why I bought the 30-foot gooseneck...which still technically isn't enough for the 16,000-lb. SEE.

Another Ahab

That's one fine, clean-looking trailer. [thumbzup]

What's the loading limit?
Oh, you had to ask, didn't you, Ahab? I don't remember how much it weighs (but I do know where the title is, so I can look it up).
Anyway, it sits on 7,000-lb. axles so probably good for about 9-10,000 lbs. The trailer itself is plenty stout, but it is axle/spring/tire limited at this point..
You could have just said "pretty much", or " a lot".

I would have been okay with that. :beer::mrgreen:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have just said "pretty much", or " a lot".

I would have been okay with that. :beer::mrgreen:
Too late. I'm curious now, so I'll try to remember looking it up tomorrow. Too many load "a lot" on their trailers without giving any thought to GVWR or tongue weight.
Yes, when/if I put a SEE on the 30-footer I'll be over both on the trailer and max tow capacity of the 1-ton (it has 3.73 gears, with 4.10s I would've been really close), but I also wouldn't go farther than maybe five miles, and do it slowly.
In the meantime, if a SEE needs to be trailered it'll be with the Peterbilt and its flatbed. But since I'm selling those...

DanM7890

Small update: Didn't work on the trailer much this weekend but I did sell the old axles, springs, u-bolts, and the front a-frame for $170 which almost pays for all the new metal I am about to buy. Trying to keep the project cost down [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Small update: Didn't work on the trailer much this weekend but I did sell the old axles, springs, u-bolts, and the front a-frame for $170 which almost pays for all the new metal I am about to buy. Trying to cheap the project cost down [thumbzup]

No gains, but just as important no real loss:
- "Breaking Even" is a pretty good deal. :beer:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's one fine, clean-looking trailer. [thumbzup]

What's the loading limit?
Sorry, I forgot, but finally looked up the weight of this trailer on the title. I think my guess of 9-10,000 lbs. load capacity is closer to the truth than the 11,070 lbs. that the listed weight would allow.
There's no way this trailer weighs only 2,930 lbs. Yes, aluminum is light, but not that light.

DanM7890

Another weekend and not much done. I used my M998 to help flip the trailer frame over to grind some spots and to begin on the welding process with the new frame. The photos taken below were while flipping it, I didn't actually work on it like that.

IMG_3500.JPGIMG_3501.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks