• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative fuels in modern engines

SimplexCoda

I've heard the direct injection system is much better than the old propane mixer going over the top of the carb or replacing it. Essentially your truck ends up with 2 sets of injectors for each cylinder. One for gas one for propane.
I figured it would have to be better, if people were willing to try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kc5mzd

Propane only has 80% of the BTU or energy of gasoline. Gasoline has less energy than diesel. There is no real way to make propane as efficient as even gasoline because it just doesn't have as much energy per gallon. If the price of propane per gallon were to drop to less than 80% of the price per gallon of gasoline then it might start to make sense.

SimplexCoda

Propane only has 80% of the BTU or energy of gasoline. Gasoline has less energy than diesel. There is no real way to make propane as efficient as even gasoline because it just doesn't have as much energy per gallon. If the price of propane per gallon were to drop to less than 80% of the price per gallon of gasoline then it might start to make sense.
That makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

WMO needs to be run through a centrifuge, because the carbon particles in it are too small to come out in any filter.[/QUOTE]

This is false. WMO oil is black DUE to carbon. A centrifuge's job is to remove dirt and impurities and possibly larger rare carbon particles, but not to remove carbon. When I use my centrifuge, the Carbon is what you are burning. Remove the carbon black and you remove a large portion of the BTU's.

reset2

Has anyone researched if the modern engines know if the fuel is ULSulphur or old sulphur fuel will pass the sniffers? Looking for info not guesses since all modern vehicles have ultra low fuel stickers everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
begin your search at cetane rating......................
Forget about the the wonderful carbon not taken out by centrifugal filter or buy a new HH for a Deuce.
On road 2019 diesel fuel is not like other fuels, even jet engine fuel and especially not anything like US Navy CT or aircraft fuel. Think class 8 at Cetane rating of 40-55.
On a new class 8 truck think 36,000 PSIG fuel rail pressure
Think Tier 4 compliant C-15 CAT but they don't build trucks anymore.
Regular diesel--48
Premium diesel--55
Bio diesel (B100)--55
Bio diesel blend (B20)--50
Synthetic diesel--55

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just looking at what has been done with newer diesel trucks to allow them to run and what can happen.
I see mandatory additions to the diesel fuel as alternative fuel, but it is all over now.
This is Australia now .....
Half of all trucks on Australian roads run on diesel. ‘Not only will we not be able to grow cattle and we will not be able to grow food and we will not be able to grow grain or anything like that, but even if we could, we can’t move it, because we can’t turn a wheel in a truck because we have no Adblue,’ [AdBlue is needed for diesel vehicles —

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks