• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-280 Shelter. It's final ride

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loaded S-280 shelter up on my M989A1 for it's final ride to its permanent location.

There the electrical will be hooked up and it will be painted OD. Wanted to wait for the paint until placement was complete. I did paint the roof before it left the shop.
It really needs the new paint as you can see.
Getting the door hinges to stop squeaking was a challenge. You can see where I lubed the heck out of it.
Finished up all the interior work.
Was completely gutted and all new 100A electrical service and lights installed.
Plenty of outlets also.
Wood floor installed.
Installed new Air conditioner.
Every single hole, inside and out, has been sealed.

Comes off trailer this weekend and placed in its final spot.

IMG_5996.jpgIMG_5997.jpg

DanM7890

Nice looking S-280. Curious about the wood floor. Is it just wood laid over the metal floor or is it built with a wooden floor?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4 plywood topped with oak tongue and groove.
It was a easy install and the warm feeling that it gives it inside is amazing.

It is well worth the cost of losing a little headroom.
Im just under 6' and have no head banging issues.

The overhead lighting layout is more to the sides than the standard S-280 design.

m715mike

We are left in suspense...

Why is the shelter going to a final resting spot? Given the work you did, I bet it has years of service remaining. How are you going to use it?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I mean is it will not move again.
Once its down on the concrete pad, it will be tied down with cables (after paint) and never move.

It will serve as a mini cabin in a remote part of the ranch.
Has a small frig, gun safe, small desk, military all steel bunk bed and other goodies.
No tv
Using military field phones for comms to main house.
Already ran wire.

Biggest expense was the 10/3 underground wire.
Man that stuff is pricey.

Anyway
still cheaper than building from scratch.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Local GSA auction

Been looking for one for two years and found it 30 miles away.

Best thing it was filled with stuff including 2000 weather balloons.
Sold all the balloons and it more than paid for the shelter.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Final preparations underway.
Gets placed in final spot Sunday.
IMG_6108.jpgIMG_6111.jpg
Finished up some painting today

IMG_6089.jpgIMG_6088.jpg
Its finally painted.
Took 1 1/2 gallons using a electric hand sprayer.
Powercord is for temp power (lights & fan).

IMG_6072.jpg
Always have a light.

Wasn't going to paint until move finished, but I couldn't resist.
Its not perfect, but will work.

Final set Sunday and then she gets anchored down.

csheath

I see yours just has a little window air unit on it. Most of the ones I see have two boxes mounted on the rear. Would those typically have a generator and AC or what?

cucvrus

Is that the door from the S280 you bought from me? I am building a new door for the S280 I have. If skidder wants to buy a stripped out S280 I have one in Pennsylvania. I am at the end of I 78 where it intersects with I 81.DSCF2651.jpgDSCF2648.jpg I am making the replacement door panel from Walbash Duraplate. I am adding a pair of open close louvers on the panel and attaching it to the door. I will paint it to match the rest of the shelter. Duraplate is some awesome material to work with. it is virtually indestructible. And it is also rust and rot resistant. They make truck bodies and van trailers out of Duraplate. I get scrap wall from work and make all sorts of things with it. i will be putting an aluminum trim around the entire perimeter of the hatch. I am waiting for the weather to break so I can get back at work on my fun projects. I have cabin fever a bit. Blowing,plowing and shoveling snow are taking a toll on my spirits.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see yours just has a little window air unit on it. Most of the ones I see have two boxes mounted on the rear. Would those typically have a generator and AC or what?
Mine originally had two boxes mounted on it.
They were only for venting.
Original A/C unit had already been removed.

The small A/C will work fine since the shelter will be in the shade most of the time.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the door from the S280 you bought from me? I am building a new door for the S280 I have. If skidder wants to buy a stripped out S280 I have one in Pennsylvania. I am at the end of I 78 where it intersects with I 81.View attachment 671632View attachment 671631 I am making the replacement door panel from Walbash Duraplate. I am adding a pair of open close louvers on the panel and attaching it to the door. I will paint it to match the rest of the shelter. Duraplate is some awesome material to work with. it is virtually indestructible. And it is also rust and rot resistant. They make truck bodies and van trailers out of Duraplate. I get scrap wall from work and make all sorts of things with it. i will be putting an aluminum trim around the entire perimeter of the hatch. I am waiting for the weather to break so I can get back at work on my fun projects. I have cabin fever a bit. Blowing,plowing and shoveling snow are taking a toll on my spirits.
Yes it is!
Working great!

Attachments

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loaded S-280 shelter up on my M989A1 for it's final ride to its permanent location.

There the electrical will be hooked up and it will be painted OD. Wanted to wait for the paint until placement was complete. I did paint the roof before it left the shop.
It really needs the new paint as you can see.
Getting the door hinges to stop squeaking was a challenge. You can see where I lubed the heck out of it.
Finished up all the interior work.
Was completely gutted and all new 100A electrical service and lights installed.
Plenty of outlets also.
Wood floor installed.
Installed new Air conditioner.
Every single hole, inside and out, has been sealed.

Comes off trailer this weekend and placed in its final spot.

View attachment 666535View attachment 666536

Not to bust open an old thread, but how did you stop the hinge from squeaking/binding? Started on mine but the bottom hinge is so "bound" up it is bending the hinge at the box. Sounds like a door in a haunted house. I have tried all lubes including engine oil. It appears that the previous owner had the same problem cause they drilled tiny holes in the hinge to lube i'm guessing. I can not figure out how the pin in the hinge comes out.? I thought about swapping the bottom hinge with another but the build out has started and would have to remove the inside tongue and groove walls where the nuts are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks