• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-280 Shelter. It's final ride

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also did the drilling of very small holes in the pin.
About the size of the spray tube on a can of WD-40.

I used ACF50 on the hinges and door handle.
Door handle was easy to free up and get going again.

Most Hinges were easy also.
Bottom hinge was the problem child
It took at least a week of soaking and working door back and forth to finally fix issue.
Repeat again and again multiple times daily
I also heated up hinge with heat gun and soaked it again and let it cool to draw lube inside.
Did that twice.
Eventually it all worked and now hinge is butter smooth.

It’s a pain but worth it in the long run.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
F7CD92CC-36D6-4A32-B0BB-7103CFB29C0C.jpgD21B0529-6184-46A7-8A25-BCA4AA657255.jpg0A9C4130-51E3-4367-8CA7-4C9C587BF349.jpg
Pics were taken right after final placement last year.

Deck was added and electrical hooked up after these pics.

tobyS

Nice work, looks great. I don't see multiple holes from fork trucks like many I looked at. Are you attached (passage) to the container? There sure do seem to be a lot of different sizes of 280's. I wish I had extra headspace in my 788, I have some left over T&G oak flooring.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few forklift wounds were there.
Both sides.
Took over a week just to dry it out.
No water damage, just insulation soaked.

Once dry, fixed holes with structural adhesive.
Been nice and dry inside ever since.

I do not have it attached to shipping container.
It’s attached to the railroad ties.
Doesn't look like it, but we used 3+ tons of gravel also.

tobyS

It's good to get that much base under it. Your patches don't even show. I use construction adhesive all the time...great stuff.

That makes a nice set-up with the container. Enjoy!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The container blocks the North wind in the winter and shade trees keep direct sun off it during summer.
It’s very quiet and peaceful where it’s located.

I wish I had about 10 more of them.
Both the Containers and S-280

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
True

Containers, while pricey, are easy to find.
S-280’s are not and when you do their expensive.

I lucked out on mine with GSA.
Good price.
30 minute drive to get it
Sold the contents (weather balloons) that came with it and it paid for shelter and then some.
Win-Win

Yea
If I could afford it, would definitely have about 10 of each.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2A394E4A-72E2-415F-8CB9-E289C423685E.jpg
Day of pickup

It never fails, when your not looking for something, great deals fall into your lap.
Now that I want another S-280(s), their scarce and very expensive when they do pop up.

Figures.........

tobyS

I priced a good 20' container not long ago, one that is not all beat up, at $1750. The "one trip" ones are over $4k...but man do they look nice. The 40' ones are not too much more.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up my S280 back when they were plentiful on GL. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137906-S-280-camper-build&highlight=

I love mine and we will go camping in it a few times a year. I wish I had done the wood floor like you, I know what you mean about the feel of the metal floor. I've got some carpet laid down but it's not the same, and I've got too much installed to put a wood floor in now.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a large rug on top of wood flooring, almost the size of the whole floor and it’s been great.
Nice and warm and acts like sound proofing.

My only complaint about the whole thing is once you’re inside, zero cellular signal reception and raidos don’t work either.
Ive looked at the devices to bring the signal inside, but haven’t decided on anything yet.
Read a lot of them are worthless.
Oh well.

Now to find a S-250.........

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anywhere I’ve been, if I have cell service outside, I’ll still have it inside. Maybe a little weaker but still usable.

when I got mine, it had a huge rectangular hole in the side, where the military A/C was installed. I put a window unit in the top part of the hole, and made a plexiglass window out of the bottom 2/3. Maybe that is how my signal is able to get in and out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks