• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let's talk about HMMWV paint

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So regular Behr Marquee exterior house paint? Flat or Satin? Still trying to wrap my head around that concept.
Sorry I used flat paint to look very close to the original carc... do not just grind and sand down your carc... it is not safe... very dangerous stuff. Repair what you may need to and wear protection. You will be very happy with behr and you won't need that much paint. Took 2 gallons for my deuce and your truck has half the real estate lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Sintorion

Sorry I used flat paint to look very close to the original carc... do not just grind and sand down your carc... it is not safe... very dangerous stuff. Repair what you may need to and wear protection. You will be very happy with behr and you won't need that much paint. Took 2 gallons for my deuce and your truck has half the real estate lol

Prep is my concern. It was repainted a few times and there are places it is flaking and different layers of flaking. Behr Marquee is a lot less expensive than the Sherwin Williams CARC Chemical Coating.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prep is my concern. It was repainted a few times and there are places it is flaking and different layers of flaking. Behr Marquee is a lot less expensive than the Sherwin Williams CARC Chemical Coating.
I suggest you get yourself a really good respirator and send down the specific areas where you have the peeling bubbling or rust make sure that you fix and Patch whatever it is that you need to patch then put a good primer on there or you can layer your Behr paint I usually do a couple coats it's not bad it's not hard get yourself a sprayer gun from Home Depot and have at it doesn't matter your skill level just take everything off take your time you will have fun and you really enjoy it and save a lot of money

tomcata3

Hi
This is what I used to paint mine
Hmmwv Paint info

Krylon- Italian olive / satin sku 24504 09167 (the guys at the army maintenance garage use this for touching up)
Rustoleum flat brow 214085 sku 20066 13183
Flat black- walmart ($.99) m5735 259863 sku 20066 20686
If im painting steel i use Rustoleum flat black
DSC02646.jpgDSC02648.jpgDSC02600.jpg

Last edited:

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about perception on the part of buyers when you go to sell a MV? Has anybody found that painting with "house paint" gets a bad reaction? Seems that painting with "real military CARC" would be a selling point.

I have used tan Behr and like the look and ease of application, also the SW MIL-DTL-64159 Type II CARC is great to work with. Just for reference, here is a M998 I did with the Type II in 2017, still looks just the same as when it was done:

KIMG0063.jpg

One thing I have noticed about the Type II CARC 34094 Green is that there is a lot of brown pigment in it. I have had some color separation in cold weather with brown tinges in places, for example around the ridges in the bed. I think over-thinning contributes to this also; it took me a while to figure out how to spray it, which includes getting the pressure up. And the Type II green (at least the batch I got) is noticeably less green that some other coatings I am seeing on HMMWVs coming out of service. For example, here is a picture showing a small area of Type II CARC that I applied just behind the front fender. The CARC is more of a sage green while the fender has a brighter green look. This is a 1993 M998, out of the KY NG, possibly the original paint?:

CARC Type II Green shade.PNG

Here is another picture showing a seat base painted with Type II CARC, placed against the hood of a 2003 M1045A2 just picked up from Albany. The hood is noticeably brighter green:

KIMG0601.jpg

I do see the exact same shade as the Type II CARC shown above on other HMMWVs coming out of service. The seat base shown above is an exact match to another M1045A2 we have here, also recently retrieved from Albany. We are starting to work on paint prep for the two M1045A2s and I think I might like the brighter green, but also like the idea of staying with a CARC.

Would Type IX be brighter? Anybody have a comparison of the two (II and IX) or other CARC types?

And I'm not ruling out the Behr, might pick up a quart and play around with it...thanks!

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was painted with Behr paint three years ago and it is holding up very well. My M101A2 Behr painted trailer is five years old and it is in great shape, I was leary of using house paint but sure swear by it now. My buddy painted his Pinzgauer in this color first and I liked it so much I went with it.

Mark

20171027_175043 (1).jpg

HMMWV----2.jpg

pinz-trailer-rear.jpg

Last edited:

Helo Driver

Mine was painted with Behr paint three years ago and it is holding up very well. My M101A2 Behr painted trailer is five years old and it is in great shape, I was leary of using house paint but sure swear by it now. My buddy painted his Pinzgauer in this color first and I liked it so much I went with it.

Mark

View attachment 762761

View attachment 762762

View attachment 762763
Do you have any more picture of your truck. I’m trying to decide on what color I want to paint mine and I’m going through the forums getting ideas from everyone.

92'M998

Getting ready for paint and struggling to meet some criteria. I am looking for quality paint that matches the correct color (Olive Drab) and finish that is available by the gallon and also in rattle can. I don't have no interest in CARC.

I found this site http://www.tm9ordnance.com/products.htm They offer enamel, Catalyzed Urethane, and rattle can. Catalyzed Urethane seems like the way to go, but not sure if the extra prep is worth it or if they have the correct Olive Drab. I contacted them and the guy wasn't the most helpful.

I have also found this one http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html They offer enamel and rattle can and offer what appears to be the correct color http://www.rapcoparts.com/34luoldrcuis.html. The description is "
"

Any other suggestions for paint?

My other question is quantity. I am planning on an over spray of inside and out along with the fender wells. It seems that 4 gallons should do it, but can't seem to find and accurate coverage estimate. I will have access to a garage and compressor so I want to paint as much as I can at once then come back with rattle can for things like the dash and touch ups. Planning on a spray job similar to this - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?155500-HMMWV-painting&highlight=paint
Hi - I used Rapco 911 Flat Black, 34094 "383" Green,. Call them to get the right brown or sand. They are great help. Fast shipping. CARC substitute too.

J.

Helo Driver

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

The truck and trailer are the same paint. Below is the mix from home depot.

Take care,

Mark

20171014_071227 (1).jpg

flashbucks

Mark

View attachment 762761

View attachment 762762

View attachment 762763
Mark, what color code or Behr name did you use for the CARC Green? Gregg

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is holding up great after four years now. Slight fading but only noticeable when you touch up. She stays out in my lot so no shade. I have a Mason jar I keep in the truck and just had to add two teaspoons of pure white to the paint to have it more accurately match the color on the truck now. Would definitely go this route again.

Mark

20190701_155552.jpg

20200428_192852.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks