• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let's talk about HMMWV paint

Sintorion

Getting ready for paint and struggling to meet some criteria. I am looking for quality paint that matches the correct color (Olive Drab) and finish that is available by the gallon and also in rattle can. I don't have no interest in CARC.

I found this site http://www.tm9ordnance.com/products.htm They offer enamel, Catalyzed Urethane, and rattle can. Catalyzed Urethane seems like the way to go, but not sure if the extra prep is worth it or if they have the correct Olive Drab. I contacted them and the guy wasn't the most helpful.

I have also found this one http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html They offer enamel and rattle can and offer what appears to be the correct color http://www.rapcoparts.com/34luoldrcuis.html. The description is "
"

Any other suggestions for paint?

My other question is quantity. I am planning on an over spray of inside and out along with the fender wells. It seems that 4 gallons should do it, but can't seem to find and accurate coverage estimate. I will have access to a garage and compressor so I want to paint as much as I can at once then come back with rattle can for things like the dash and touch ups. Planning on a spray job similar to this - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?155500-HMMWV-painting&highlight=paint

desmodromic

I'll let others more experienced chime in, but while convenient, the Rapco colors seem a little off and the rattle cans seem not to be pressurized enough as the spray pattern is not always ideal.

Sub'd for more info.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want 383 Green which is FS 34094. Rapco paint is way too glossy and looks completely wrong. You want to buy American Coatings paint from armytankguy on ebay. Listed as CARC green substitute.

Ddk2001

I just repainted my HMMWV (inside and out) with the Rapco product (Gillespie Paints). I took a quick pic - right after I sprayed the flat black - which was only a couple hours after spraying the 383 green. The colors are still flattening out a bit - and I'll probably take more pictures this weekend when I pull it outside the garage. I did put my new camo doors on - and the green and black match really well - looks to be the same shade. I used Xylene (4:1) - and understand what you use has an impact on the final color. I'm very happy with how it came out (I've never painted anything this substantial before).

I have 2 gallons of the 383 green - but ended up using less than one. I sprayed two full coats inside and out. I was surprised it didn't take that much. Before I sprayed the green - I sprayed LizardSkin Sound Control on the floor, tunnel, and rear bed (floor) and then on the insides of the rear fenders. Wow - what a difference. No more snare drum. So - my green also covered two coats on the underside of the rear fenders. For the black - again - two coats and I used around 1/3 gallon.

There's so little brown on the camo scheme that I just bought 2 rattle cans from Rapco. I used one. Again - the color matches the brown on the came doors really well.

In my picture - i hadn't painted the brown yet (and you'll see some of the black is still wet).

I used the cheapo guns from Harbor Freight. With the coupon - they were around $11 each (I think). I purchased several and, once I got done with a color - I just tossed the gun instead of cleaning it out. I have a 30-gallon compressor - 6.8 SCFM @ 40PSI, 5.1 SCFM @ 90 PSI - it kept up but worked pretty good the whole time.

If you're interested in the Rapco (Gillespie) products - I'd be happy to sell you enough green and black to do your whole truck (at a great price). I've got one unopened gallon of green, another 1/3 of a gallon, and 2/3 gallon of black (and I kept Rapco's shipping boxes).

Attachments

Last edited:

Sintorion

I just repainted my HMMWV (inside and out) with the Rapco product (Gillespie Paints). I took a quick pic - right after I sprayed the flat black - which was only a couple hours after spraying the 383 green. The colors are still flattening out a bit - and I'll probably take more pictures this weekend when I pull it outside the garage. I did put my new camo doors on - and the green and black match really well - looks to be the same shade. I used Xylene (4:1) - and understand what you use has an impact on the final color. I'm very happy with how it came out (I've never painted anything this substantial before).

I have 2 gallons of the 383 green - but ended up using less than one. I sprayed two full coats inside and out. I was surprised it didn't take that much. Before I sprayed the green - I sprayed LizardSkin Sound Control on the floor, tunnel, and rear bed (floor) and then on the insides of the rear fenders. Wow - what a difference. No more snare drum. So - my green also covered two coats on the underside of the rear fenders. For the black - again - two coats and I used around 1/3 gallon.

There's so little brown on the camo scheme that I just bought 2 rattle cans from Rapco. I used one. Again - the color matches the brown on the came doors really well.

In my picture - i hadn't painted the brown yet (and you'll see some of the black is still wet).

I used the cheapo guns from Harbor Freight. With the coupon - they were around $11 each (I think). I purchased several and, once I got done with a color - I just tossed the gun instead of cleaning it out. I have a 30-gallon compressor - 6.8 SCFM @ 40PSI, 5.1 SCFM @ 90 PSI - it kept up but worked pretty good the whole time.

If you're interested in the Rapco (Gillespie) products - I'd be happy to sell you enough green and black to do your whole truck (at a great price). I've got one unopened gallon of green, another 1/3 of a gallon, and 2/3 gallon of black (and I kept Rapco's shipping boxes).
Looks great! Did you just use 1 gallon total with 2 coats?

Sintorion

You want 383 Green which is FS 34094. Rapco paint is way too glossy and looks completely wrong. You want to buy American Coatings paint from armytankguy on ebay. Listed as CARC green substitute.
Traded a few messages with the armytank guy. He doesn't seem to know anything about his products. No idea on the coverage and won't confirm the color. Not sure I feel comfortable about buying from someone like that.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Traded a few messages with the armytank guy. He doesn't seem to know anything about his products. No idea on the coverage and won't confirm the color. Not sure I feel comfortable about buying from someone like that.
Most vendors will not be paint and body experts so I don't think it's reasonable to expect they can tell you how many gallons to buy to paint a HMMWV. If you want a Kermit the frog colored glossy HMMWV, paint it with Gillespie. If you want the factory color in a CARC substitute, but American Coatings.

Csm Davis

I have painted with CARC, old and new stuff, and every different vendors paint I could buy except the American paint on ebay talked about above and haven't found anything that matches and feels like CARC but Behr premium. I have a truck that was painted in 2012 and I can touch it up with Behr and you can't find the touch up after it dries. I use it to touch up the steps where the CARC wore off and the Behr holds up about the same. It doesn't hurt that it is much cheaper than most all the rest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the carc 383 sub from armytankguy. Have not used the Behr. The rattlecans from him are extremely close to the original green. Sprayed half a new radio deck as a test and you could barely tell original from substitute.

donquijote

I used behr, rapco, sherwin... i prefer the shewrin williams mil carc and think the color matches best of all. Takes me little over a gallon for 2 coats.

Sintorion

I have painted with CARC, old and new stuff, and every different vendors paint I could buy except the American paint on ebay talked about above and haven't found anything that matches and feels like CARC but Behr premium. I have a truck that was painted in 2012 and I can touch it up with Behr and you can't find the touch up after it dries. I use it to touch up the steps where the CARC wore off and the Behr holds up about the same. It doesn't hurt that it is much cheaper than most all the rest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
So when you say Behr Premium, as in regular house paint?

I use the carc 383 sub from armytankguy. Have not used the Behr. The rattlecans from him are extremely close to the original green. Sprayed half a new radio deck as a test and you could barely tell original from substitute.
That is comforting. I am leaning toward this route, but the guy doesn't seem to be the best communicator. It amazes me that he sells a product that he knows nothing about.

Sintorion

One other question regarding paint, is all military paint CARC or does the military spray in CARC and non CARC finishes?

donquijote

CARC paint is a military specification and all paint used by the military meets that requirement. So they make the specs for manufacturers to adhere to, and each makes it to that spec. Although, I think two of the main suppliers to the actual military are Sherwin and Hentzen coatings... but don't quote me on that.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other question regarding paint, is all military paint CARC or does the military spray in CARC and non CARC finishes?
Howdy,
You need to look up what C.A.R.C. is.

Yes, C.A.R.C. is the Military standard for equipment. C.A.R.C. itself is not ordinary paint. Actually, it probably should not even be called paint. It is a highly specialized coating. C.A.R.C. coating in the civilian world is obviously not needed. That is why the need for color matching using civilian paints. Known as 34094 383 Green - C.A.R.C. Substitute for example. A lot easier way to match paint using simple painting methods.

Wikipedia C.A.R.C.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best way to paint MVs is using Behr paint using the olive drab codes these nice folks have posted for you... you can see a lot of the bigger trucks are painted with it on this site including mine. You will not be disappointed trust me.

donquijote

I agree with maa45069 on the overall best way. it's cheap/effective and I posted a couple pics of the actual paint with codes I happen to have on my shelf. I personally like the sherwin Type 9 carc which runs $96 a gallon. I think the texture feels more rough like old carc coatings, but the behr looks great so it comes down to personal preference!

BEHR MARQUEE
I would have posted it in the thread, but kept getting an image size error trying to add it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks