• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

move to north carolina

gobsmacked

I am making a move to North Carolina, Waynesville area, going to drive my m925a2 from Michigan to NC. an tips about route or anything else that could help? I am new with MV, so any advice will help
thanks gobsmacked:D

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you PM the truck thoroughly prior to leaving. Check everything. Take tools with you and extra fluids. Stop frequently and check tire pressures, etc. In case of difficulties along the way, ask for help on SS. I have enjoyed similar long recovery trips. Waynesville, NC is a beautiful area - you are sure to enjoy it. Good luck.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tips about route or anything else that could help?
Are you familiar with the route possibilities already? I've lived in OH, KY, TN and SC and been over these roads quite a bit, including retrieving 4 HMMWVS from NC to KY last year. The most logical route is to get to I-75 in Ohio, then I-75 through KY and TN, then I-40 east.

If you want to avoid hills (and cities), you could consider going around Cincinnati on the west side. There is a big hill entering KY on I-75, and the east side bypass is hillier than the west side. It adds a lot of distance, though, being a really big loop. http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/I-275.html

There is a big (up) hill at Jellico as you enter TN on I-75. There is a truck lane and there are usually some slow-going trucks. When pulling a trailer, I try to fall in behind a tanker as they are usually heavy and slow. You could also consider taking 25E from Corbin down to Morristown...it's a pretty drive and there is a tunnel. (We used to live in White Pine TN where 25E intersects I-81.)

Once you get to around Newport TN I-40 is curvy but fairly flat as it follows the Pigeon River. You will still want to watch your speed.

When are you planning to make the trip?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The area is fabulous, you will love it. I took this pic the other day in Hayesville NC. The wife and I were just out for a Wednesday drive.
IMG_20170315_112541209.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery4X4. Do you know how far Hayesville is from Kinston NC? White Owl is in Kinston, and I was thinking about paying them a visit this summer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery4X4. Do you know how far Hayesville is from Kinston NC? White Owl is in Kinston, and I was thinking about paying them a visit this summer.
That's a pretty substantial hike. I'd guess between 400 and 450 miles. Worth the ride though, no finer folks than those at White Owl.

99nouns

I know semis enjoy military trucks, they are like "ooh finally there is something we are faster than" glad you had safe travels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks