• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ongoing Log Of My 1987 HMMWV

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matched belts can be found with Gates or Napa. They typically will have a red tape around the set. Usually you have to go to a very large store or for NAPA at a distribution warehouse store main counter.

The way to tell a matched set is they are cut from the same cord or production. To verify this, check the digits/code after the part number like nbb12 or something like that. Then there is usually a number to tell you which piece it was off the cord like 12 or 13 etc.. Matching numbers are nice but as long as the cord production is the same, they will stretch and work as a "matched set"

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually matched set means same lot number, same run, same turning, and spaced next to each other on the spool.

For now the screaming angry cat under my hood has been silenced, but for safety and reliablility I just want new belts and hoses and such.

Thanks Juan

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went over my spare parts corner.

Bought a used supposedly take-out wiper motor assembly. Problem is when I plugged it in, it worked perfectly. Straight to the spare working parts box!
Bought some u-fix blinker activators/switches. Fixed them and now I have several spare sets.
Bought an aftermarket 24 Volt blinker relay. Tested and works. Supposedly it will work with LED without issue. I have a busted blinker relay box, and I will empty the box, insert the solid state relay, and I will soon be ready for the spare parts box.
Bought a few "take-out" KDS green boxes. Need a source for electric parts cause Radio Shack is gone. Things like Mosfets and resistors and "stuff" need replacement, but I digress. A few of the boxes are labeled "take-outs", but they function well. Those went straight to the spare parts box.
Getting ready for the 700R4 swap. Found the transmission kick-down bracket. It had gone AWOL, but found where my wifey hid it.
I have a few spare LED lights for Heeps. Made a couple of plugs that terminate in Packard connectors. Labeled the wires 17, 18, 91 and now in the spare parts box.

Also, in unrelated news, finally opened up clothes boxes from the move to the new house [a year ago], and set up my closet. Now wifey has her very own closet, and I finally found my Fall and Winter clothes/shoes/suits/draws.

Now off to clear out some of the mudroom, and then paperwork.

All-in-all, not a bad day, except the Giants and the Jets lost. At least the Yankees might get something done this year. [Of course, others might feel differently about my sports choices.]

Best,

T

Last edited:

missionexpert

I couldn't find matched belts from the two local auto parts stores near me (Autozone and O'reilly). Expensive too. I ordered some from Autozone but they had one of two in stock, no matching sets. When the second one came in it was the same part number but had a different sub number. I had to go to another Autozone to pick up one with the same matching sub code. What a pain. Wish I took a picture to explain. In the end, like you TOBASH one is tight and the other seems a bit looser, different production runs. Seem to work fine though.

Anyway, in the mean time of this running around for belts I saw belts for cheap on RockAuto and decided to order some from them. When the order arrived the Gates 7500 has two different looking belts with different v-grooves. For 1.81 I didn't bother to return it. I'll keep it for spare in case I need something in a pinch. The reason I ended up changing the belts was a result of replacing the water pump.
GATES7500 (15500:p)Belt
Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty
$ 1.81$ 0.002$ 3.62
GATES7640 (15640:p)Belt
Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty
$ 1.83$ 0.002$ 3.66

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
765R4 built to take 800WHP. Should be good for occasional camping and off road.

Should fit without new driveshafts and other major stressors.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suspected that. Have been following your comments in threads about 700’s. Looking forward to seeing the results. Have similar plans for next year.
Bulldogger

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually matched set means same lot number, same run, same turning, and spaced next to each other on the spool.

For now the screaming angry cat under my hood has been silenced, but for safety and reliablility I just want new belts and hoses and such.

Thanks Juan
Just run one belt, carry the spare.. when and if it breaks, swap it out... just a thought... but I wouldn't do it.. Stryker makes a nice set of matched belts if you're interested. I can put you in touch with a rep. ;):LOL:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hose to gearbox exploded. Awesome that this happened in Winter and not Summer. :/ At least it happened in my brand new driveway. Nice oil stain. :/

ALL hoses and belts now being replaced! If it is rubber, it is going away.

Taking this time to install new 765R4 tranny and new "X" door reproductions with electric locks and windows and harness.

Should be complete next week this time.

I will replace transfer case seals at this time because it will be easier.

I don't know the configuration of these engines. How hard is a rear main seal to replace? I have no leaks there but you never know.

Ciao,

T

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash, Just peak at the TM for replacing the rear seal.. All I can say is that I would do it if the transmission is coming out. I plan to do mine next week or so after I pull my tranny. I dont think its that bad.. But I am sure there are lots of better opinions on here.. Get er done >>>>

Ocho out

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash, I retort. That rear main seal on the 6.2 looks like a mutha to replace. Id act like you never even thought about it. 🤫

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using my free time to organize, and re-discovered my new in the box military variation of another device called a "Webasto". This is a Diesel consuming device that keeps the engine warm without needing to keep the engine on. It burns fuel at maybe 10 ti,es less than a running engine, and keeps radiator fluid heated.

Anyone ever installed one of these? I will get the military nuber for the device later, because I put shelves in the storage unit and packed it away. It is new, in original box. Box is 18x24x6 inches...-ish.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, buying a used vehicle is always an adventure. Prior owner liked to cluge things together. I have repaired missing washers and electrics connected the wrong way. Recently I posted about dumping my power steering fluid. I finally had time to look at why.

In searching for the answer, I noticed a hose that had a metal patch, but the patch tube was off center so I poked at it and it became obvious that it had disengaged The PO cluged a hose together rather than replacing. He used a 1/4 inch or so OD pipe as a patch on a hose. He never flared the ends :/

Too cold for me to want to replace the hose this weekend BUT I have a flaring tool and I will temporarily repair tomorrow with my boys so they can learn. I will use my Kaskar bought hoses to replace during warmer days.

Pictures below:

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the hoses that were poorly spliced rather than replaced. Now on to more little annoyances...

Time to do the V-belts. The alternator tensioning is easy enough, but what is the best way to tension the lower 2 belts? Where is the best place for me to place a lever arm to pull tension on the pump?

Thanks In Advance,

T

Gamble

I replaced the hoses that were poorly spliced rather than replaced. Now on to more little annoyances...

Time to do the V-belts. The alternator tensioning is easy enough, but what is the best way to tension the lower 2 belts? Where is the best place for me to place a lever arm to pull tension on the pump?

Thanks In Advance,

T
Did you ever get a chance to install those doors?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks In Advance,

T
Bueller? Bueller?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks