• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ongoing Log Of My 1987 HMMWV

MattNC

Looks really nice! As soon as I can get a break from the day job I need to start calling a few shops I was referred to and get my transmission swap underway. I’m leaning toward the 700r4 due to the reasons you mentioned plus the gear ratios seem well matched to the needs of better 1st gear from a dead stop and a slightly lower ratio than the 4L80 on the highway. The 4L80 does seem better for towing but I’d never tow more the 4500lbs.

On a side note before work and sunrise yesterday I moved a live beehive in the back of mine. Between the tapped out three speed on the highway and the plush suspension the bees were not happy to say the least. Also I forgot my ear pro and that helped me remember its screaming at 55 mph.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of you may know I now also own a civilian Hummer H1.

The H1 is new-to-me, and I always do "new-to-me maintenance on any vehicle I plan to drive.

As part of "new-to-me" maintenance I had the spindles on the civilian H1 checked for tightness. LUCKY I DID.

Front left spindle was loose!

Get your spindles checked, and place spindle check nuts on your vehicles guys and gals!!!

A link on what I'm talking about is below, as stolen from a fellow SteelSoldier's post.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you caught it TOBASH. Good advice for anyone. I checked my spindles when I got mine from the National Guard. No loose nuts but one bearing was rusted and would have failed in time.
BDGR

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lotsa stuff recently.

Lost my winch fender extensions so bought a new set from RWH. (Thanks Steve). They were raw steel so I primed with self etch and then black primer. I will bake them tomorrow

Pulled off old brackets and such a few days ago, front and rear. Rain prevented paint for last few days. Wire brushed and primed with POR today.

So basically I spent lots of time wearing a painter’s respirator to grind rust and then paint.

Tomorrow I will loosely place rear Airlift brackets and I will loosen front bolts to install the winch fender extensions. Maybe will also have time to place rear airlift and rear ratcheting tire carrier. Probably will not have time for installation of front brackets but who knows.

I’m also interested in stripping rust and priming several areas as well as adding rust inhibitor. Hoping not much rain this weekend but forecast says different.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People keep asking about my 700R4. They ask where they should order parts like flex plates and TV lockdown and tranny to transfer case adapters. They don’t realize that Bowtie Overdrives had everything, soup to nuts. I am therefor posting my receipt for what I did and what accessory parts were provided to make the install relatively pain free-ish.

Bowtie Overdrives (I have no affiliation)
‭(760) 947-5240‬
Hesperia, CA

Attachments

Last edited:

Daves86

What TV bracket did you wind up using? Don't see it mentioned on your receipt and I wasn't able to find one that looks like the one on your ride. My googlefu is weak. Thanks

MattNC

I ordered my transmission from Bowtie last week. It’ll be shipping in 10 weeks per their current backlog. As TOBASH said they ask you a bunch of questions about the truck and how you intend to use it and put together the entire package, transmission, torque converter, flex plate, dip tube, adapter for the transfer case, gauges, diesel governor, TV bracket, etc. I did a level 3 build with level 2 shift feel since I intend to do some moderate towing and the BMI turbo. They said level 3 was overkill but a very small increase in price. I’m looking forward to it and thanks for sharing the vendor and build info TOBASH.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been pre-occupied with work so I've been away for a while.

I recently also built six twelve foot planters using 12'x12"x2" beams and galvanized bolts. They will be filled with 8 yards of soil tomorrow.

I went to get plants. It was great to be in the old girl. Started out fun... Then the brake peddle began to stick and I needed to pull it up with the top of my foot. Then I began to lose brakes. Then I began to lose power steering. Dummy gauges were all good so belts were ok. I began to worry about the fan clutch but temps were perfect.

Fought my baby home without power steering. I braked with transmission downshift assistance. Got home with my monkey puzzle tree and tons of herbs and plants for the garden.

Popped the hood and it looks like the return hose for the power steering assist fluid burst. Brake fluid is OK.

Looks like a bad hose. I will swap out tomorrow. Then I need to figure out where the brake peddle is sticking.

Hopefully this will be a simple fix.

Always somethin' ;)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been pre-occupied with work so I've been away for a while.

I recently also built six twelve foot planters using 12'x12"x2" beams and galvanized bolts. They will be filled with 8 yards of soil tomorrow.

I went to get plants. It was great to be in the old girl. Started out fun... Then the brake peddle began to stick and I needed to pull it up with the top of my foot. Then I began to lose brakes. Then I began to lose power steering. Dummy gauges were all good so belts were ok. I began to worry about the fan clutch but temps were perfect.

Fought my baby home without power steering. I braked with transmission downshift assistance. Got home with my monkey puzzle tree and tons of herbs and plants for the garden.

Popped the hood and it looks like the return hose for the power steering assist fluid burst. Brake fluid is OK.

Looks like a bad hose. I will swap out tomorrow. Then I need to figure out where the brake peddle is sticking.

Hopefully this will be a simple fix.

Always somethin' ;)
Now you very well need a PS pump as well…you can’t run those pumps dry.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was some fluid left draining from my vehicle in the driveway at the end. I had some function. At least a pint drained in the driveway after I got back.

Still, I share your concern. I fear you are on target.

I'll let you know by Wednesday Steve, and as always, thanks for your input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks