• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how wide is too wide for a tire?

Maverick1701

When it comes to wheels how wide is "too wide" for a tire?
These wheels came on my Jeep when I purchased it (came with 7.00x15 tires mounted). they are 15in wheels not the "real" 16in models. Today I had the old tires removed and found that the wheels are 8in bead-to-bead (almost double the width of the stock wheel).

I just purchased 5 7.00x15in coker NDTs from Summit (they have already shipped) and I am worried they might be too narrow for these rims. The info on these tires shows the section width is 7.8in. That leads me to believe that these tires will work on the rims I currently have....at least until I get order the "real" wheels. I don't really want to deal with having to return 5 tires, 5 tubes, and then having to order 5 more tires, 5 tubes, and 5 new wheels if I can avoid it.

What are y'alls thoughts? Can I safely run these tires on these wheels w/out my jeep becoming a total death-trap?
WP_20170216_17_31_53_Pro.jpg

quickfarms

Standard rule of thumb is that rim width should equal tread width.

8 inch wide rims are typically used on a 10.5 inch section width modern tire

The rear tires on my tractor use a rim that is wider than specified by the tire manufacturer and they are a pain to get the beads to seat but that is a slow speed application.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

well I decided to just bite the bullet and err on the side of caution.

I am going to return the 15in tires I bought from summit and the tubes I bought from kaiser willys. Once the returns are processed I am going to purchase 16in tires, tubes, and wheels. I figured that since I am going to need to buy wheels I might as well purchase the right size.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks