• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP ground rod kit/slide hammer info

lindsey97

Thought I would share some info I found with the recent purchase of my MEP-802A. It has 99% of the BII, to include the slide hammer, and the copper ground rods. In the tool box I found a paper tag with the info of mfg for the ground rod. I assume they make the slide hammer also, but not confirmed.

Harger 800-842-7437 or 847-543-8700

5/8x2 sec CC ground rod kit.

part# 582GTEKIT

Also the copper rods say ERICO or ERITECH on them. I searched ebay and a few ERICO and ERITECH came up for sale.

I have no clue who makes the slide hammer. Hope this helps someone complete their genset setup.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
That's what the CAGE Code is for. It tells you who manufactured an item. I looked up one cage code for the slide hammer, (97403) and it came up CECOM. Thats no help. Then I looked up another, 45225.

45225SPX CORPORATIONDIV SERVICE SOLUTIONS - KENT-MOORE /OTC / ROBINAIR / TIF 655 EISENHOWER DR OWATONNAMN55060-1100

586-578-7274

There is also a manufacture in Hungary, but that's a bit far away.

The ground rods are a bit better.

05643BARBER-GREENE CO 3000 BARBER-GREENE RD DE KALBIL60115UNITED STATESFORMERLY IN AURORA IL
07464BADGER FIRE PROTECTION INC 4801 SOUTHWICK DR MATTESONIL60443-2254UNITED STATES
0MKW7MINNPAR LLC 900 6TH AVE SE STE 13 MINNEAPOLISMN55414-1378UNITED STATES
14045ERICO PRODUCTS INCDBA ERICO 34600 SOLON RD CLEVELANDOH44139-3532UNITED STATES
15277GENERAL STEEL TANK CO REIDSVILLENC27320UNITED STATES
25567GORMAN-RUPP COMPANY THEDBA MANSFIELD DIVISION 600 S AIRPORT RD MANSFIELDOH44903-1689UNITED STATES
29381GICHNER SYSTEMS GROUP INC.DBA GICHNER SHELTER SYSTEMS 490 E LOCUST ST DALLASTOWNPA17313-1902UNITED STATES
44940ONAN CORPORATIONDBA CUMMINS POWER GENERATION 1400 73RD AVE NE MINNEAPOLISMN55432-3702UNITED STATES
53964KAYDON CUSTOM FILTRATION CORPORATION 1571 LUKKEN INDUSTRIAL DR W LAGRANGEGA30240-5757UNITED STATES
56501THOMAS & BETTS CORPORATION 8155 T & B BLVD MEMPHISTN38125-8888UNITED STATES
58536FEDERAL COMMERCIAL ITEM DESCRIPTIONPROMULGATED BY GENERAL SERVICESADMINISTRATION WASHINGTON DC
61790ASTEC INDUSTRIES INC.DIV ASTEC IND. 1725 SHEPHERD RD CHATTANOOGATN37421-2947UNITED STATES
6L214BADGER FIRE PROTECTION INC 944 GLENWOOD STATION LNSTE 303 CHARLOTTESVILLEVA22901-1480UNITED STATES
71468ITT CORPORATIONDBA I T T CANNON 666 E DYER RD SANTA ANACA92705-5612UNITED STATES
81348FEDERAL SPECIFICATIONSPROMULGATED BY GENERAL SERVICESADMINISTRATION WASHINGTON DC
82370VOLCANIC HEATER INCDBA VOLCANIC HEATER INC. 201 HARTZELL ST ALLIANCEOH44601-1353UNITED STATES
SCY13E.C.A ETABLISSEMENT CENTRAL DESAPPROVISIONNEMENTS DES FORCES ARMEES 16244CASABLANCA MOROCCO

I did not list phone numbers. But if you cant find one with your browser, let me know.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BTW those are copper coated steel rods, I have a friend with a scrap yard who found out the hard way when one of his workers thought they were all copper and customer was paid out as such.

Guyfang

Staff member
They are if you are fit! There are two reasons for the slide hammer. One to drive, one to pull the rods back out. That's the theory, in any case. In the real world, most soldiers push a bit of dirt on top of the last rod, and drive away. Every unit has "a large supply" of such kits. Our tax dollars at work.

NormB

Thanks, 319.

I'd looked into one of these last year when I bought my 802, just didn't get around to it. Great price, took advantage of a 30 day free trail for SG (again, I've done this before).

BTW, if you're EVER thinking of installing a ground rod - or several of them - nothing beats the speed and ease of use of a water drill, easy to assemble from 10 ft of steel conduit and a female garden hose repair fitting.

5-8 garden hose connector female.jpg

It helps if you cut about an inch off the end of the conduit, flatten it and braze a section (I used silver solder I had on hand) in the center/end of the conduit.

I've put in a handful of grounding rods around the house (for ham radio tower and an electric fence) and it takes maybe two minutes TOPS to bore a hole. Water moves rocks, "floating them" away from the rod. Getting them out? I'll leave that to the next owner.

There're videos on youtube, I tried adding a link here several times - no joy.

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great tip! Could you please show a pic of the mod. I douldn't quite follow what you
were talking about. Thanks!

NormB

IMG_3565.jpgIMG_3566.jpgIMG_3567.jpg

Went out to the shed a while ago and took some pictures. The hose fitting just taps into the conduit (grad one of each at your friendly neighborhood big box hardware/outdoor store and see for yourself).

The instructions I got was to braze a piece of metal in the end of the conduit. I figured I wouldn't miss an inch of pipe, so I cut it off and hammered it flat, filing until it could be tapped into the business end of the conduit.

I had some silver solder from some of my gunsmithing projects on hand and you can see the fillet between conduit and "spreader" as this is what the piece does, cause some turbulance, spreading the stream apart some.

Works like a charm.

Bmxenbrett

That would never work in my clay and dinner plate sized rocks. Also isnt the whole point of the ground rod to touch the ground as much as possible?

NormB

That would never work in my clay and dinner plate sized rocks. Also isnt the whole point of the ground rod to touch the ground as much as possible?
You'd be surprised.

Most of Maryland is an alluvial plane dating back to long before the last major ice age. There're rocks here bigger than my head and I've broken up many of them putting in paddock fencing over the years.

The "contact' comes in after the first couple of rains, or you can soak the rods in; alternatively you can add some copper salt of one variety or another and that will leach into the soil for even better conductivity.

Guyfang

Staff member
In the desert, we all "watered the flowers" around the ground rods. Water is costly! Used water not so much.

In fact, if your location is sandy, you often need more than one ground rod, and sometimes way more then one ground rod. You can measure the resistance of your ground rod/system, to find out if is in compliance with the local power company's regulations.

csheath

They are if you are fit! There are two reasons for the slide hammer. One to drive, one to pull the rods back out. That's the theory, in any case. In the real world, most soldiers push a bit of dirt on top of the last rod, and drive away. Every unit has "a large supply" of such kits. Our tax dollars at work.
My unit came with two rod sections, no hammer. My rods had some rust on them so I knew they weren't copper. I already had some 5/8" solid copper rod to use for grounding so the rods that came on mine just got bolted back under the frame.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No need to PM me, I'll see what I can find and let you guys know.

I just got back from a small vacation(Haspin) and have some fires to put out.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you NormB! Now it is perfectly clear.
It is much appreciated that you took the time to go out and take pics and explain!

NormB

Worked a couple of back to back shifts over the weekend, was off today, puttering around on my HMMWV, catching up on some bills and calls. Had to get the dogs out anyway, shed's close enough it was nothing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks