• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3053a seals n gaskets

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess Spicer put that pin there for one reason: They sure didn't want that sleeve to be able to rotate on the shaft!

The TM says the inner sleeve diameter should be 1.7495" to 1.7500", and the shaft diameter 1.7500" to 1.7505", both areas marked as "none", for wear limit. That means a zero tolerance fit - to slight interference between parts. Not a loose fit at all, not even "snug" - unless you applied a little heat to install in place.

With no pin, it may cause an issue sooner or later... I just can't tell you what exactly would happen because I never had one transmission where that pin had failed- or was completely missing, and then seen a lot of use.

It looked like a rivet all crushed or part of the manufacturing as in supposed to be punched out.I ll have to see if there's any info online.I thought it was an oil hole that shouldn't be plugged

rustystud

I guess Spicer put that pin there for one reason: They sure didn't want that sleeve to be able to rotate on the shaft!

The TM says the inner sleeve diameter should be 1.7495" to 1.7500", and the shaft diameter 1.7500" to 1.7505", both areas marked as "none", for wear limit. That means a zero tolerance fit - to slight interference between parts. Not a loose fit at all, not even "snug" - unless you applied a little heat to install in place.

With no pin, it may cause an issue sooner or later... I just can't tell you what exactly would happen because I never had one transmission where that pin had failed- or was completely missing, and then seen a lot of use.
I have seen the damage the missing pin will cause. The sleeve wears into the main shaft and then the whole gear starts to flop around on the shaft. You end up replacing the main shaft, the gear and bushing, the synchro, and sometimes the counter shaft gear.

I'll just add this extra note here. Spicer used that small locating pin on a lot of their transmissions over the years. I never could figure out why. I would have used something much more "beefy" myself but it seems to work and has pasted the test of time. In the past when I just rebuilt manual transmissions and differentials all day long, (every hour, every day, every week, every month, every .... It can get extremely boring after awhile ! ) I came across a Spicer that had a loose pin hole in the bushing. My boss/owner had me reuse the bushing (he was always trying to cut costs even in the smallest things) so I just drilled a hole 180 degrees opposite the original hole and installed a new pin. It worked great. So now when I go to rebuild my Spicer I will be "adding" another pin just for the extra safety margin.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pin can only be installed after removing the sleeve.

You may have to fab that pin, out of #1045. I will post the dimensions later today.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SPICER 3053, 5th gear sleeve locating pin, dimensions...

Dimensions and some pics, below...

Attachments

Last edited:
Ok guys I took the truck for a drive up the road with tools.I replaced the collar with a new one with the pin.I noticed 4th and 5th gear were stiff trying to go in 5th felt like it's wasn't all the way in.Is this because it needs broken in?It got alittle looser after driving a bit.I also have a hub heating up or drum on drivers side rear .I adjusted brakes while at my planned pit stop.I adjusted them but that one is still getting hot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks