• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

History on this Pinzgauer

Gear

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for an above average Pinzgauer and came across this one in Portland. Does anyone know the history of this vehicle. Is this Pinzgauer over priced. Sure looks Great. I am hoping that with the care that has gone into this vehicle it might be less prone to major problems. Is this reasonable to believe. Thanks

http://www.luxeauto.com/inventory_detail.cfm?Invid=307

Justin
07 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
06 Adventure Trailer Chaser #15

Goatwerks

I believe it is Eric Purduhm's truck, it is very nice and in above average shape.
I believe this truck has a high speed TD trans, so it should be able to reach full freeway speeds.

Gear

Thanks guys,
I am very interested in this Pinzgauer. I might just take you up on that offer Dan. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more information. I know I can find this information on the web but does anyone no the length of this 6x6 off the top of there head. Also any ideas on its overall height. I am wondering if it will drive under a 7' garage door. Well back to the top. Anyone will more information. Any other comparable Pinzgauers out there for sale by private owners.

Thanks

Justin

DSD277

Yes,that is one of Erik Purdom's Pinzs. I haven't talked to Erik for a couple of years now, but he never spared any expense in restoring/upgrading any of his vehicles.
Though many of the "newcomers" to the Pinz world have never heard of him, he was behind many of the earlier aftermarket developments/upgrades ( '99 to '02 +/- ). Also the behind the Redbull RTPT's 712s ( Ready to Party Truck :D ).
The only thing that may, or may not be desireable is the OD transmission. I've had 710M, and a 712M ( that I had changed the trans to the OD trans), and with the higher T case of the Gas Pinzes ( the TD Pinzes have a much lower and wider spaced T case gearing, from which the OD trans was taken ). This leaves a final drive thats permits the higher road speeds without "screaming" the engine , but offroad, the low range is also much higher than a 710 with a standard trans. This would affect the more difficult offroading.
But I believe that the standard trans of the 712 , with it's max speed of 68mph ( w/ 285 tires) is a better match.

As for money spent, I'm sure Erik has a lot more into this truck than he can ever recoup. Just a matter if you want to spend that much money or buy a stock truck and go through it .

Dave Dunn
Pinzgauer TD 716

Gear

Wow, Thanks Dave. Those pictures are great. The OD sounds like it might be OK for me. I would like this Pinzguaer to be more of an overland vehicle. My take on the price is that you pay 10K more than a similar truck at Ramona but this one has been painted, insulated and looks pretty mint. Does anyone know if Erik Purdom still owns this Pinzgauer. It looks like it is just at a showroom. Maybe on consinment? How about with the upgrades listed does anyone have a ruff estimate on how much it would cost to duplicate with a different Pinz. I am talking about paint, bed/ cab rhyno lined. My guess is this does not come cheaply.

Thanks

DSD277

Gear
I would assume that it is on consignment.... I didn't see it on the inventory list, but they also used to have Erik's 710K for sale. as far as work performed, I know Erik was one to buy the cleanest truck he could, and have it gone though completely.
As with buying any 30+ year old vehicle, anything can break, and it is up to you if the mods are ones you want. I'm not up on current prices, but a diff ran over $3k with a complete failure.... buying a OD tranny was $4k outright ( but there is a guy on ebay selling them for $2.5k exchanged, plus shipping)... and you have installation ( actually quite simple on a Pinz). You can contact Jim ( Goatwerks) for current pricing on parts and labor.

Dave

Gear

Thanks Dave,
When will the next wave of Pinzgauers be released for import to the USA. Wasn't the next big year for them 1982?

Justin

DSD277

rofl ..sorry
Gear,
You missed the boat. The newest Pinzgauer that can be registered in Cal is a '74 ( sometimes a '75 will sneak in), nothing newer. Also, for all practical purposes, all Pinzgauers have been sold out of the Swiss Military, and you really need to be careful buying an Austrian model ( which some more are still leaving service).

As far as my716 goes, it is an abnormally and grandfathered by the DMV and CARB( CARB is the key for CAL, they have the final say, not DMV ). Cal does NOT have the 25 year rolling DOT and EPA exemption that there is federally.....and each state can chose how they care to how they want to register a vehicle ( if at all).

Also, do not get hung up on the "year" of a Pinz, but rather let the truck speak for itself. The '72 710M and '73 712M I had 6 years ago were in much better condition than a lot of newer ones I've seen... whereas my 716 is 13 years newer and was in need of more attention.
Dave

Mike_Pop

Justin,

I tried to look for Erik's email address but was unable to locate it. He used to have a website with his name but that is not up and running. I can vouch for Dave Dunn, Erik had some of the cleanest Pinz's around. He definitely took care of them but he also used them for what they were meant to be used for. If you ever get to talk to him, he is a great guy. He let me park my Unimog and trailer at his place for a few months while I was traveling back East.

Good luck in your search. In the mean time, here is a shot from Brian Hahl near Easton, PA. He sent me this photo and said, "Merry Pinzmas".

Attachments

DSD277

the PinzgauerUS site has been gone for a few years now... if Justin wants to PM me a email addy, I can forward it to Erik...

ramfan

bubbas4x4 said:
Sure has great interior.Did you replace it or was that the way it was?
I had it done. right after I got it it early 2004.

still for sale if anyone is interested.

Ed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks