• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Words mean things. Or, Nomenclature for beginners.

NormB

Came across this today in my FB feed and it reminded me of many posts here (and elsewhere) including several of my own.

When speaking with professionals, experts, it helps to be specific and know the right words to ID parts, procedures.

Some might laugh, others not, no offense meant.

words mean things .jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Came across this today in my FB feed and it reminded me of many posts here (and elsewhere) including several of my own.

When speaking with professionals, experts, it helps to be specific and know the right words to ID parts, procedures.

Some might laugh, others not, no offense meant.

View attachment 667719
Well, first of all....whatchamacallits and doohickies are NEVER used in repairing a wuteveritis. They are used ONLY in repairing the marzel vanes on phase detractors!:rules:

If you had read the manual on either piece of equipment (as DH pointed out), you could have saved time and money.:beer:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-then there is always "the thingy" i.e. "red knob thingy, small handle thingy, short wire thingy.......

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Grandfather called everything a "Dingfod".
Yeah, those were some brilliant minds... didn't need many words to understand each other.
Just imagine if today someone came saying "I put the dingfod inside the... (other)dingfod, turned the (third)dingfod but the (whole)Dingfod still doesn't work!..." :cookoo:

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

This is the insidious ongoing and ever increasing lack of the ability to write or speak in a correct and logical manner. HHtth, ghfp, or ttpaqq even? get it? NO, and nobody else does anyone either. More and more we have to 'goggle!' words and expressions to find out what is the intended conveyance.
From news readers supposedly 'educated' people, experts, politicians and others, now day's we hear them come out with.."Greeeeeciziziziz" new policy is...Or, the "policizzziizzz" methods were!. WHAT happened to "it is or was the policy of Greece? OR the Greek government, OR, the latest "policy of the police is to", Whatever!. Degraded standards now are the Norm!. And just go on any forum on the internet and 'goggle' a question..viz. "how do I change my desktop layout" and likely you will see "experts" posting something like.."go to the input line logs in windows checksums select inputs, new value, inputs," and on and on and on! The 'expert or computer wiz kid' knows Exactly what he is doing but Mr ordinary does not. So, Why not State (Inform) Mr or Mrs 'don't know' "go to settings" Click start, look for new page, select page..look for and click on etc and on and on in a Logical and Understandable order and sequence. NO CHANCE! Just TRY setting up a smart wristwatch! Yet some solutions and advices ARE or can be made quite simple to follow. Ho Hum, Rant over..(going for another 'Perla'. )..look that up!.

Guyfang

Staff member
Most people just need a reminder to try and use the right terms. Only once did anyone get mad at me for insisting that they use the right terminology. I tried to explain that if he wrote S1, there was no need to write start switch. I even tried to apologize, if I had somehow insulted him. Afterall, I wanted to help, and was ready to go that far, but I wasn't going to cut my throat or jump off the roof. He ranted and raved and that was the last of him. Sad, because I could have helped him with his MEP-oo6A problem. Oh well. I think it just amounted to him not wanting to get smart on the gen set, and just wanting someone tell him what the problem was.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh well. I think it just amounted to him not wanting to get smart on the gen set, and just wanting someone tell him what the problem was.
The problem was not so much with the equipment as with the user I-d-ten-t. In other words - the problem exists between the keyboard and the chair, unless he was standing and using a tablet!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks