• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12R22.5 Tubeless Tires for M809-series

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running surplus G177 11.00R20 radials since August of '11. The date codes were 2004, so 12 years old. Great tires with lots of tread, but getting on years. I decided it was time to change them out. However, in doing so I wanted to simplify things and go with a more standard OTR tire and rim combo. I chose five hand-hole 22.5" x 8.25" tubeless steel wheels as they are pretty standard size and much in appearance closer to the OEM split rims. However, finding them five hand-hole stud-piloted is a daunting task. Everything is uni-mount nowadays. I don't have a lot of free time during the week to scour salvage yards. So I turned to the internet and I was able to find new/new old stock on-line. I bought six and had them shipped to the local tire shop where I picked them up. I had two sandblasted which was actually overkill. I ended scuff sanding the others. I painted them all with Rustoleum Professional Flat Black.

IMG_4630.JPGIMG_4631.JPGIMG_0624.jpgIMG_0625.jpgIMG_0627.jpg

My tire of choice, which I wanted originally when I switched to radials, is the Firestone T831. The 12R22.5 matches the 11.00R20 in height and width near exact. 11R22.5 was narrower and not as tall. I found four lightly used '09's which would go on as inner duals. I bought them with with four two hand-hole rims mounted and one loose rim for a spare. I figured I'll cheat on the inners as you can't see them anyway. I also had them delivered to the nearby tire store. Those rims were prepped (scuff sanded) and painted like the others. I got those installed. Then I turned to the other seven I still needed.
IMG_0639.jpgIMG_0640.jpgIMG_0649.jpg

I could not find the tires locally, but I did find them at an on line seller at a relatively reasonable price. Shipping and federal excise tax is still a killer. Nonetheless, I ordered seven. The retailer had a shipping option to a tire shop. The same shop was on the list, so I had them sent there. Yes, I made good on their troubles. The freight receiver got a $50 gift card to a very famous So Cal burger chain.
The new tires were date coded 1216 (March 2016).
IMG_0678.jpgIMG_0679.jpgIMG.jpg

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son and I got the new tires mounted up on the rims. A much easier task than I had expected. I ended up using balancing beads for the two fronts. That size tire according to Counteract's website requires 12 oz. each.

IMG_1498.jpgIMG_0677.jpgIMG_0676.jpg

We spent this past Saturday afternoon finishing the mounting then installed the remaining tires on the truck. We got everything torqued down and spot paint any scratches or missed spots on the rims and lug nuts. I took some comparison shots to the OEM style split rims. I am happy with the look and I believe it doesn't detract from the military look. I am even more delighted about how much easier it is and will be to work on and maintain these tires. I also now have the peace of mind of having brand new steer tires.
IMG_0684.jpgIMG_0690.jpgIMG_0683.jpgIMG_0704.jpg

Last edited:

Special T

12r22.5 tires are the direct replacement for 1100R20 and I know several people who have ran them next to each other. Matter of fact there are direct cross overs from tube type to tubeless for the major sizes. 1000r20=11r22.5 1000r22=11r24.5

Special T

It is also a lot easier to find a replacement tire/wheel locally also. Not to mention you can run some pretty sweet retreads if you can't find a deal on used ones.

Special T

I think if you want to air down for wheeling/offloading the much better choice is the 395s on military wheels with bead locks. 2c

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a fan of super singles. I wrestled some off an M931A1 in Hesperia, CA when I cannibalized it's front brakes. That chore reaffirmed my displeasure in them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks