• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida off road only

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many "off road" vehicles do you have Frank? It's too bad that the HMMWV controversy is spreading to the deuce and 5 tons. I think we all face the same problem now....a manufactures association writing the laws to their benefit, not ours or perhaps even considering our views. Now back to the Florida off road only

Chief B

Any ideas on what I could/should do to get a dang registration/tag? With the removed axle, I seriously doubt the DHSMV will give it the FMV registration. For all practical real everyday purposes though, I made sure the truck would be street legal. To me it seems the truck would now fall under the customized category.
When it comes to FL, I honestly think it depends on your regional offices. some offices have no issues doing it and others refuse. From reading the posts on here, there have been some nightmares that have happened, but others have had no issues at all. I personally would give it a shot as at this point you have nothing to lose since they already took your registration from you, but not sure if you are wanting to take that chance or not. You could come out with a normal title and plate or an off road or parade only one.

Brin

When it comes to FL, I honestly think it depends on your regional offices. some offices have no issues doing it and others refuse. From reading the posts on here, there have been some nightmares that have happened, but others have had no issues at all. I personally would give it a shot as at this point you have nothing to lose since they already took your registration from you, but not sure if you are wanting to take that chance or not. You could come out with a normal title and plate or an off road or parade only one.
Thanks for the reply, Cheif. I do appreciate it. I'm going to mull this one over for a bit before I go downtown. I wonder if anyone has had luck getting a title reclassified from a FMV... Annnddd... Crap. Sorry about these post. I just checked the rules and saw it a 'no-no'. I'll delete with my apologies.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in Florida. When I first attempted to title and tag my M925A2, the local tag office would not do it and referred me to the state DMV. I called them and the uninformed state worker I spoke with told me I could not tag the vehicle. I went around and around with the local office for about a week, then found a link to Mr. Vislocky's letter and sent it to the Tax Collector here. After reviewing the letter and contacting someone at the state level, he called me and said "come get your tag." There is a lot of confusion around the directive that was sent out back in 2017. The local office here in Perry is MV friendly now that I worked through the issue with them.

Another Ahab

I live in Florida. When I first attempted to title and tag my M925A2, the local tag office would not do it and referred me to the state DMV. I called them and the uninformed state worker I spoke with told me I could not tag the vehicle. I went around and around with the local office for about a week, then found a link to Mr. Vislocky's letter and sent it to the Tax Collector here. After reviewing the letter and contacting someone at the state level, he called me and said "come get your tag." There is a lot of confusion around the directive that was sent out back in 2017. The local office here in Perry is MV friendly now that I worked through the issue with them.
I think the legal term for that is "precedent", and now that you got it, ANYBODY can use it:

- You set the precedent

You are a crusader!! Cheers!

Chief B

I live in Florida. The local office here in Perry is MV friendly now that I worked through the issue with them.
I too live in FL and believe it really depends on your local office. I was deployed when my wife took mine in to register it and they did not even go outside to look at it. Only problem they had was they couldn’t find HMMWV in their system so it is registered as an AM General Pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brin

I see, Ahab. I posted that above in a panick and think it would have been okay to post. However, I may be in the wrong sub forum -but I went for the 'Florida' threads that popped in the search results. This pertains to a M45 (same as an m35a2 -but just cab and frame) that was bobbed by Boyce Equipment.

I took my Utah title to the DHSMV alsog with the VIN verification form (done by a LEO) and bill of sale. I was told to get it weighed and given a temporary tag to do so. Upon completing that I went back to the DHSMV and got it titled and registered as a TK (truck). Just before Christmas, I got the paper title in the mail. I was living large and loving driving it. I thought that was it...

On the 27th of December I received a certified letter a letter from the DHSMV that stated my title and registration was revoked. Basically it read that according to "my file the vin" was a "former military vehicle and as such cannot be driven on Florida's highways and roads". I don't have the letter at home, but will gladly print it here if asked to. The two options it laid out for me is to have it towed to an official DMV branch office and have it inspected/photographed. If hasn't been altered and retains its military paint/markings it would receive a title and registration as a Former Military Vehicle to be used in parades only. Otherwise it would just receive a title (no tag/registration). Since it's been bobbed, I suspect it falls in the 'title' only category. Again, my apologies for posting this perhaps in the wrong forum. I'm definitely not going to do anything outside of the law. I'm just looking for any tips/assistance. It probably doesn't help but I'm in Tallahassee.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's my understanding the offroad only designation applies to the Humvee only. I could be mistaken. If you aren't already, I'd join the Florida Chapter of the FMVPA and see if Kevin might be able to help you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks