• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did you oil you differential lock cylinders on your SEE?

peakbagger

I have mentioned this before but found an official Mercedes reference from a 1300 owners manual. "Once a year spray 1 CC of anti corrosion oil into the pipe connection on axle drive housing of front and rear axles". Along with the quote there is photo showing the drain plug on the axle used to drain condensate from the diff lock cylinder. On my SEE the drain plug was painted over with factory paint that obviously had never been broken so I expect this lack of lubrication is common. I have not found any reference to this in the SEE manuals but its common knowledge on the 406 series that the SEE shares axles with.

From prior research, condensate will build up in the diff lock bore and eventually cause the piston to seize. The parts are cheap to replace the seals but it requires 12 to 16 hours to disassemble and reassemble most of the axle if you have the tools. As most of the SEEs sat for many years, odds are the diff locks need this lubrication. Others have reported that if the diff lock is stuck, the this may get it moving again. Most folks mentioned Marvel Mystery oil and that's what I used. I could not get my air fitting off so I removed the drain plug and squirted it up into the bore. I think one of my locks was stuck and this seems to have gotten it to work.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, no, I did not.
What I did do was to pull the drain plugs, and one (out of six) did let out a few drops of water. One or two had a few drops of oil inside.
When (if) I do get around to adding oil, I'll do my best to put it in from the top...if the paint allows it.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today the formerly parts SEE got some attention, and while I was at it I decided to lube the lock cylinders. Better late than never. Right, peakbagger?
The rear was relatively easy as the hose got replaced in the refurb, but not painted. On the other hand, the ferrule was stuck in the fitting and wouldn't come out until pulled on with the air helping.
The front was painted, but that wasn't the problem. It had me fooled as the nut wanted to turn the tubing...or so I thought. As it turned out, the adapter was turning on the axle when I tried loosening the nut while keeping the hose from spinning. That did twist the hose, but it seems to have survived. If not, it's an easy fix.
Now the adapter is tighter than the nut and there's Marvel Mystery oil in the cavities. Life is good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks