• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo classification...?

tm america

wow this has me scratching my head my motor is a ldt1d according to the tag but it has a lds turbo on it according to the pics from dan martin ,it is not like the ones labeled d or c since the compresser side is way thicker than those .it doesnt hardly whistle but i am getting about 27psi of boost with my fuel just turned up to where i am getting black smoke .i have been beating on it for alomst five years and not blown it up .is there a chance i have a miss labeled lds motor or a ldt that was rebuilt to lds specs.my truck was depot rebuilt in 92.i will take some pics tomorrow :roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless it has a wastegate, it's probably and LDS427 turbo. The exhaust side of the gated turbo from the LDS-465 is much larger than the other turbos and would require serious exhaust mods to adapt it. There is a data plate on the compressor side that kinda sits at a 45 degree angle sorta.

tm america

it doesnt have a waste gate it is like the one in the pics dan posted with the think compressor side. i will get the numbers off the tag on the turbo

Crackerjax

I have the 427 lds turbo.... shes a good turbo I like it alot...when we first met she looked like someone left her in the bottom of the pond for 20 years...but Mr.Ken fixed her right up in no time....now she runs like new and blows more air.... I with there was more info on the lds turbos and how they compair to the c nd d turbos when you up the fuel..also in the stock form....anyone have bench flow charts for all 3?

tm america

that looks like it but it doesnt whistle .and my motor says ldt 1d on the tag.was the m109 rebuilt in the 90s i wonder if they built them to different specs around that time .and maybe these turbos were a upgrade .or if they did them to lds specs .whats funny about these turbos is the exhaust side is similar to the c turbo but the compresser side is similar to the five ton turbo.all in all it looks like a five ton turbo.mine says swhwizer right below the tag .can you check to see if yours has the same tag numbers as mine

tm america

recovery4x4 were you able to fine anything off of the tag number from my turbo:?:this is really interesting since it would mean they actually ran three different turbos on the deuce not just two:roll:and this turbo i have seems fas superior to the other based on the boost readings everyone is getting with the fuel turned up.there are a couple guys that said they had readings similar to mine but most have 11-13 as a max .i wonder if the ones with readings higher than 20psi have this same turbo as i do:-Di would like to get some more info on it and if they did internal mods when using this turbo

tm america

i dont have a lds maunual to see if they are in fact from a lds427 if anyone can look up the number to see if it is or not that would be greatly appreciated:roll:

Divemaster920

Banned
Tm for the 427 turbo is 9-2990-201-35....I looked in the TM's and it is not there.
According to the pics in TM 9-2815-204-35 (427), this is one of the turbo's that it used.
No, mine does not whistle like the "C" on my Deuce, but it does have a faint whistle to it.

Crackerjax

yes the fat compressor skinny turbine turbos are lds 427 turbos from what i hear they are rare....oddball turbo...mine runs 9psi of boost on cold day at 50mph gas to the floor..but my truck is stock. I can hear a faint whistle at idle and more when boost builds.I hve taken the upper part of the stack off for painting and it seems to spool up quicker with less exhaust pipe on the stack....ken knows alot about these turbos it seems like...he did a great job on mine

JCKnife

This is a pretty old thread to still be pinned. I've rebuild a C (whistler) turbo but is there a rebuild kit available for the D turbo?

Gypsyman

If I read this old thread correctly the answer is no but that may have changed. Still a great thread to read through. I'm surprised that it isn't pinned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks