Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Turbo classification...?

Thanks

Default C & D

The 5 ton's turbo will have a wastegate on it with a much larger compressor housing and intake elbow. You won't see more PSI of boost from these because the wastegate will open. But it will move alot more air at low engine RPM"s witch will help EGT's to stay lower. If your 5 ton doesen't have one of these then the engine was probally a rebuild that was swapped in. If your truck is a dog then the fuel rate is too low.

I took a picture of what is in my wrecker. I did not have this in it when I got it. ( it was leaking oil big time ) It has a bigger housing then this one.
    Do I dare to remove the cap and up the gate spring for more pressure?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt
    M543a2 WRECKER
    M105a2 TRAILER
    M1061a2 TRAILER
    MEP 362A GEN SET
    (and more GREEN stuff then the wife thinks I should have)

Thanks

I recently swapped turboes and took pictures while they were both out. Installed a pyrometer probe at the same time.

The C turbo gave 7 psi max boost, the D gave 8 psi max, and gives some boost at much lower engine RPM. I since turned up the fuel and get 12 psi. Turned the truck from a real dog into a decent runner.

Mike

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeON For This Useful Post:

CHIEFSONN (01-20-2019), K5Cruz (10-16-2012), lelandEOD (10-29-2015), leroygreen (06-24-2010), Merc1973 (02-10-2017), Michael (10-08-2018)

4 Star General Steel Soldiers Vendor m-35tom's Avatar
    Thanks

a turbo has everything to do with more power, although the mil did not use them for that.
    tom bauer m-621
    air conditioned - 28 air
    6 wheel drive - 3 air lockers
    power steering - hydraulic - over 250 kits sold
    fast - now 1 of 43 with .69 od !!!
    m-35 transmission expert
    avatar - 64mph @ 2400 rpm with 14.5R20XL

Thanks

Default Re: C & D

Quote Originally Posted by 5tonpuller
    If your 5 ton doesen't have one of these then the engine was probally a rebuild that was swapped in.
    Here's a pic of the turbo in my LDS equipped deuce. Note that there is no wastegate, but this *is* the turbo that came with the "crate" engine they swapped in. Note that they had to slightly "engineer" some of the exhaust to make the 5-ton motor fit right. This appears to be an LDS-465-1A (the engine dataplate is missng unfortunately).

Not sure if this helps, but I had the pics so here ya go.
    Dan Martin
    1988 M35A2C (USAF)
    1945 M29C Weasel
    Hillsboro, OR.
    MVPA# 31124
    MVCCO# 828

We shall not cease from exploration
    and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started
    and know the place for the first time
    - T.S. Eliot

4 Star General /Moderator doghead's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,866 Times in 5,999 Posts

Excellent comparison pictures, Mike! These should be a real help for those trying to identify which turbo they have. Thanks
    M817, M818, M819, M35A2 w/w, M35A2, M109, M105, M116A2, M101A2, Pioneer tool trailer, MEP-002, MEP-017A, 5ton winch shear pins, Oral-B toothbrush

Ah Beefco Industries Northeast marketing associate

Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=T6BTcEwtmZo

Thanks

so if you have your choice as to turbos what would you go for?

Thanks

If I could only have one, I would go for the D. The C sounds very cool, but the way I use my truck the noise is just too much. The difference in torque is noticeable too.

I'm thinking of swapping the C back on for a few events this summer, like the "Jeep Nite" sponsored by a local tavern.

Mike

Thanks

basic bolt on from c to d or what is needed. i have a few local trucks in mind but thay have c turbos on them . and whats a good price for a good used d turbo.

Thanks

I got my D turbo off ebay for $76.25 plus $23.00 shipping. It seems more people want the C because of the sound effects. I work around my truck with the engine idling, loading logs with a 24 volt winch, and the noise was too much.

It was pretty much a basic bolt-on job. I used the original gaskets. Counting drilling and tapping the manifold and installing a pyro probe, I probably had less than 2 hours in it.

TM9-2320-361-24-1 has a section on turbocharger replacement.

Mike

4 Star General
    Thanks

I'm scratching my head a little over this thread. It's moved somewhat off topic and I'm not sure if it should be re-named.

I've been out of the GI wrenching world a few years and it's 12-13 years since I was involved in a 5 ton to deuce engine swap but here's a few thoughts.

There's some good info and pics flying around this whole website. After more than 30 years around military vehicles I'm often humbled by the vast scope of my ignorance.

As said above the turbo was added (officially) for emissions reasons. It will give better acceleration and lugging ability at the cost of harder cold weather starting due to the pre-start restriction of the impeller in the intake airflow. Fuel mileage is probably not worth considering except that the ability to drive in a higher gear without lugging the engine may make a small overall difference.

Regarding a 5 ton to deuce engine swap: If memory serves, the bell housing needs changed, some exhaust fabrication (including bracing and hangers) is needed and the rest of the swap should be pretty straight forward.

If swapping a deuce turbo for a 5 ton turbo: I know that the fuel pump timing is changed when adding a turbo to a normally aspirated engine but cannot remember if the timing is different between a 5 ton and deuce a engine. Probably not.

Since the fuel rate is adjustable, I'm unclear why there'd need to be different fuel pumps. I guess the best way is to check the &P manuals and compare the NSNs.

I don't know if the injector nozzles are the same. Back to the &P manuals we go.

If adding a 5 ton turbo to a deuce, be careful with long periods at high RPM. I believe the piston cooling oil spray nozzles are higher flow rate on the 5 ton plant. The higher possible EGT might be an issue. Also, depending on when the deuce engine was built/rebuilt the head gasket may not have the steel reinforcements around the combustion chamber that, I believe, the 5 ton head head gasket has.

Radiator size may become an issue, especially in hot highway driving too, but that corner of my brain cell is fuzzy.

If looking for a few more HP, give thought to having an experienced shop shave the head. I've no experience with it but it seems that raising the compression ration would give a few "free" HP. Perhaps at the cost of harder cold weather starting.

In any case, put a lot of thought into a pyro and boost gauge, especially if you're running on the highway.

Most of us looking for a few more MPH or better fuel mileage might be better served making sure the tire pressures are correct, the drive line is lubed correctly and the tire heights of the rear axle and intermediate axle are matched to reduce tire scrubbing. Lock out front hubs are worth a hard look as a way to reduce wear, increase mileage and smooth out the ride.

All this could be just pole vaulting over mouse turds but it helps make the winter nights go by.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast