• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling upgrade system.

911joeblow

I assume several of you have seen the cooling upgrade kit that adds flow from the rear of the heads to the heater circuit. Rubberduck makes one as does Flash Offroad. At any rate I have figured out a way to better skin the cat. Those systems have a flaw in that the flow is partially dependent on the heater circuit being open which in the summer when you really need the better cooling is counter to what you likely want. Further they require cutting hoses and using hose clamps, also using sealers to make threads seal is a bit hokey. They also use Stainless braided brake hose which looks pretty also likes to saw into your soft aluminum parts.

So I came up with a system which uses very high temp push lock hose and all AN fittings with no hokey cutting of hoses. Further it is actually run so that the flow is constant and not dependent of the heater being on. Lastly is is completely bolt on and reversible if you want to remove it. My truck has complete balance of heat across the heads now and never exceeds the thermostat cracking temp even climbing big hills or pulling a big load. So I am gauging interest in these systems as a fellow enthusiast to other enthusiasts. I am not a business and not really interested in being one but think this is something I should offer to the community. I figure the price will be less than the other inferior systems at $275 each. What do you guys think?

donquijote

Are you custom machining parts, or all off the shelf? Sounds like a worthy system to look into. Would be great to have some temp reading comparisons. I'm all for better cooling!

911joeblow

I dont have pics at the moment as my truck is getting painted. I will provide pics when I get the truck back and I am planning on making a few more kits but that is one of the reasons I posted to gauge the level of interest.

I took digital temps across the heads prior to the mod and after. The rear cylinders were 40deg hotter than the fronts. Now they are even. This mod is common on other GM based V8s to both alleviate air pockets and to better distribute the coolant across the block, cylinders and heads. When our engines crack, blow head gaskets, burn valves, burn pistons, spin bearings etc it is almost always on the back two cylinders.

I machine up some of the parts and TIG weld some as well. The rest is high end AN aluminum fittings, push lock high temp/pressure hose, and one custom fitting to bolt into the HMMWV cooling pipe assembly. Really nice setup in comparison to the other two and works MUCH better.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am interested but is this for 6.5, 6.5 turbo, 6.2 engines.

T

911joeblow

My kit will fit all three types. It is really an absolute must on the 6.2 to have half a chance. The 6.5 is less susceptible to the long list of ills found on the 6.2 but still greatly benefits. Anything you can do to cool a turbo is needed. Even with all the updates on the GEP engines they still have hot rear cylinders.

ryanruck

As someone running a significantly turned up IP on my 6.2 that doesn't hesitate to get hot, I'm certainly interested. Looking forward to pics!

911joeblow

So guys I am thinking of setting up a pre-buy or deposit for those that are ready to buy and that will fund getting all the parts together. We could use PayPal so your money is safe. Thoughts?

Pictures will take a little time as I am waiting to get my truck back from the paint shop. Although I have a guy that buys parts from me that wants a setup so I might be able to do that faster at take pics of his truck.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be just as happy seeing EGT's and thermostat readings after an hour of driving at 65MPH

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear cooling kits are nothing new, these are already for sale from other aftermarket Hummer dealers as well as Diesel suppliers. It's nothing new to take the 2 rear water Jacket plates and drill and tap them, install small cooling lines tied into the rest of the cooling system. You will need to supply real time data from stock setup versus your kit, as well as your competitors rear head cooling kits.

911joeblow

Rear cooling kits are nothing new, these are already for sale from other aftermarket Hummer dealers as well as Diesel suppliers. It's nothing new to take the 2 rear water Jacket plates and drill and tap them, install small cooling lines tied into the rest of the cooling system. You will need to supply real time data from stock setup versus your kit, as well as your competitors rear head cooling kits.
The difference between what I am doing and the others is they drill and tap the coolant plates, I TIG custom machined fittings onto new plates so there is no chance of leaks and so sealers etc are not needed. Further the other systems tie into the heater circuit which I found is limited to working fully only when the heater is on which in the summer when you really need the added cooling is silly. Further I don't use cheap pre made Chineese S/S brake lines which are not designed for coolant and are too small and rub into soft aluminum like the intake manifold. I use USA made soft outer AN hose which is both high temp and high pressure and is compatible with coolant and won't rub into whatever it touches. Lastly my setup does not require cutting and splicing into your heater hose and use hose clamps to hold it all together. I use a complete bolt on setup with proper AN aluminum fittings.

I will provide temperature readings across the heads before and after. I would not expect EGTs to change as they are a measure of combustion Dynamics and not cooling of the heads and block. High EGTs will add heat to the block and heads but that is one more reason to add my system.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The difference between what I am doing and the others is they drill and tap the coolant plates, I TIG custom machined fittings onto new plates so there is no chance of leaks and so sealers etc are not needed. Further the other systems tie into the heater circuit which I found is limited to working fully only when the heater is on which in the summer when you really need the added cooling is silly. Further I don't use cheap pre made Chineese S/S brake lines which are not designed for coolant and are too small and rub into soft aluminum like the intake manifold. I use USA made soft outer AN hose which is both high temp and high pressure and is compatible with coolant and won't rub into whatever it touches. Lastly my setup does not require cutting and splicing into your heater hose and use hose clamps to hold it all together. I use a complete bolt on setup with proper AN aluminum fittings.

I will provide temperature readings across the heads before and after. I would not expect EGTs to change as they are a measure of combustion Dynamics and not cooling of the heads and block. High EGTs will add heat to the block and heads but that is one more reason to add my system.
Do a google search, there are numerous ways to accomplish this, it's been done for years. Another method is using
another water crossover on the rear of the head, there are several water crossovers for these motors based on years.
EGT's are more prevalent in turbo's....that's a different topic.
Again, the only way to make your claim valid is to use the kits already available on the market today and compare your findings.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a google search, there are numerous ways to accomplish this, it's been done for years. Another method is using
another water crossover on the rear of the head, there are several water crossovers for these motors based on years.
EGT's are more prevalent in turbo's....that's a different topic.
Again, the only way to make your claim valid is to use the kits already available on the market today and compare your findings.
Retired War Horses always seems to have excellent insight. Claims should always be made with proof.

That being said, this unit being designed seems to be a total plug-in without drilling or cutting. That makes it interesting.

I'd be willing to do laser thermostat reading before and after using his kit. I'm however less interested in drilling and cutting. Even if his kit provides 50% of the benefits of the other kits, I would be interested.

What are your thoughts regarding that scenario RWH? (Simple without cutting vs. cutting and such?)

Best,

T

Action

It is just s flat piece of metal that gets drilled correct? The ones bolted over the holes? Does your kit just run from one side to the other? Just like the water crossover on thd front?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks