• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual fuel tanks on M1078?

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to hear from someone who has done this. aua

My tape measure tells me there is not enough room on the right side to run two stock tanks. I'd like to avoid carrying extra diesel in Nato cans if possible.

Pointman

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought there was a thread on this, had to notch the tank to clear the spring hanger.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found the other thread you mentioned, thanks. It appears that cutting and welding one of these would be no problem to make one fit next to the stock tank.

I recall my old Chevy K-10 pickup having an electric valve switch that would let me select between tanks. I'll have to see if that might work with Diesel vs. Gasoline..

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would agree..

Even air brake control valves are going composite, so AC either has done their job in designing this, or they have really high limits on their product liability..

Pointman

Duckworthe

I am about to mount a second tank on my overland camper build also ask duckworth he has a fuel tank set up
Yes I did mount a second stock tank. Look at my posts and there are picks. Yes, you have to notch the tank to fit around the spring hanger. No, my stock tanks are not lined with a coating nor are they bullet proof. I hear the MRAP tanks are polly inside. That's why I used stock. I bought mine for 300 including hangers, wiring. Now that I showed it can be done, the price of the tanks are up over $600 just for the tank. SHEESH! Its like we screw ourselves when we show build options on the site. I guess that is Capitalism at its best! I use a 12v transfer pump from second tank to main tank. I like to haul red fuel in second tank for generators/tractors and other items. If my second tank was hard plumbed into the trucks fuel system I could be fined by the "MAN". Running red fuel on DOT roads is an big fine if caught. Not worth it to me and I do use the red for my heavy equipment anyway.
Eric

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tnmogger did this too. Stock tank notched around spring hanger.

IMG_3224.jpg
Hope Bob doesn't mind me posting and giving credit. I had a snapshot saved for my personal notes.

Terrh

if you are going to run both tanks on the same side of the truck and beside eachother anyways, just connect them together with some line at the top and bottom.

NEIOWA

I just found the other thread you mentioned, thanks. It appears that cutting and welding one of these would be no problem to make one fit next to the stock tank.

I recall my old Chevy K-10 pickup having an electric valve switch that would let me select between tanks. I'll have to see if that might work with Diesel vs. Gasoline..

Pointman
1988 Chevy C2500 crewcab diesel has dash mounted electric switch for selecting tank (and guage).

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now have my second tank, so here is the follow up question. Were new holes needed to be drilled in the frame in order to bolt on the tank hangers? I have a dealer in Reno who can probably do this..

Masspilot

My second tank was built from scratch from someone on this site. And it had to be notched also but a perfect fit.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress.. I have a fabricator lined up to make the tank mod ala-Tenmoger. Still considering just t-ing the vent,supply and return lines, or making them 'switchable'. The Espatcher water/cabin heater will run on Diesel, so I may choose to isolate them using simple valves or a switch in the cab. Frame drilling coming up next...

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished up the second tank addition last weekend. I have linked the bottoms together with a manual on/off valve for simplicity, and will let gravity do the transferring work. I inserted a 'T' in the vent line.

One suggestion I will make, get a Mag Drill to make new holes in the frame. It goes through like it was made of butter, very easy!

I will post up pics later this week.

Pointman

mkeith123

I was thinking about hanging a plastic 55 gal drum next to the tank and just gravity feeding that into the original tank. Would that be an option?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks