• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Third From Texas

Added an industrial (neighbor-annoying) backup alarm.

Painted the tailgate (OCD made me do it) and faded it in a bit to match the weathering on the rest of the truck.
20181026_130517.jpg

Got familiar with the tarp options.

And last night I made sure I could get the spare off in the dark with only a flashlight.
20181025_192359.jpg

wandering neurons

Tree recovery effort

Goliath (M1081 w/SRW) and I trekked into the Eastern Range of Colorado to a coworker's mountain retreat. He downed three trees and cut them into 12' sections. Using the SRW, we skidded them a hundred feet up the hillside to the truck and loaded them using the davit crane mounted on Goliath. Six logs in total going to the mill next week, probably 2500 lbs weight.

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

coachgeo

Besides this https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-use-in-rear&p=2173529&viewfull=1#post2173529

did this

20181110_175921.jpg20181110_180101.jpg

nicely installed a 1500 watt 110v coolant heater for winter starting. Also will eventually install a NOS Diesel coolant heater. Last of those made for the Deuces that are NOT Eberspacher or Webasto. Will plumb it for engine/cab heat as well be selectable for camper space heating. Cost was probably 1/3 of that of the more modern units. Only time will tell how well it works. That install is a bit down the road.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swapped the spare for another with the same tread pattern as the ones on the ground, repaired the door handle actuator inside driver door, straightened a bent bumperette with the handy forklift, vehicle emissions test. Removing the comms box mount to make room for the 3rd seat that can go there. Verified correct operation of CTIS, cab leveller, spare tire elevator. Verified no hydraulic leaks anywhere. Completed lube order. Verified fan not loose. Clear AZ title. Actually, Jack and his mechanic Tony did all that stuff.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really to take fan apart and direct bolt it.
Remove the rubber.
Also check air compressor and power steering brackets for tightness, also check nut on gear to air compressor

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really to take fan apart and direct bolt it.
Remove the rubber.
Also check air compressor and power steering brackets for tightness, also check but on gear to air compressor
Why? I have read the stories of the plastic fan spitting blades--> taking out the radiator. It is not clear to me that there is a design defect, did CAT author a recall for this condition? Maybe the military wrote up a service bulletin? Probably in the threads somewhere, I will read them again. Thanks.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because I know of at least 4 that have fan problems.
And it's way easier to fix then trying to find a new fan and radiator.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The design defect is the rubber that sandwiched in the blade and hub that rots and let's go and then the fan can wobble all over the place until it self destructs along with anything else that is in the way.

Third From Texas

And checking the nut on the air compressor gear set is a wise call. I've seen a number of videos where people fried their engines as a direct result of that failure.

It was an upgrade specified by the Army (removing the nut and replacing with a locknut) but obviously a lot of these trucks were not updated.

Determine if you have the old or new model fan/clutch.
*my truck is one that the previous owner had a fan go thru the radiator

And yes, check the power steering brackets. Vibrations can cause bolts to fall out, resulting in some nasty consequences.

He offered sound advice. All things that have been seen failing/causing issues and reported as common right here on SS.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okeydokey. I'll check all that stuff, thank you. I think its Proverbs 19:20 that says to listen to advice in order to be counted among the wise, I'm good with that :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks