• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Good things happened.... 14x20's mounted, took bill of sale, GSA title and VIN verification in and it's now Ohio RV titled and plated!!!

20181228_111830.jpg

Screenshot_20181228-131950_Chrome.jpg

Third From Texas

Today I flush mounted a new rear camera (old one was sort of...temporarily mounted).

And I added a license plate light (required in most all states for on-road vics believe it or not).
20181228_163201.jpg

All of this will of course come off to make room for the habitat at some point, but I must admit that having a podium view of the beach, the surf chicks, the world at the Island has convinced me I need some form of trailer at this height to take out on the local summer weekends. And both the wind block and shade were a big hit these past couple months. So when the camper comes, I will be snagging a trailer if for only the beach.
20181124_151341.jpg
20181124_155734.jpg
20181125_152607.jpg

Ideally I'll make a beach trailer based on an aluminum single axle and just sky the wheels to get it this high (canopy and troop chair a must).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZI3rlkvwSY&feature=youtu.be

coachgeo

for last four days about about 6 hours a day we've been cutting out, de-rusting, the driver side floor pan. taking wayyy freaking longer than expected. almost done. This is/was worst rust area. After this its just PITA stuff.... Cab wise some minor weld ins probably but nothing like this. On chassis.... future holds just spot blasting or wire wheeling followed immediately by rust convert primer and then chassis paint.
floorPan.jpg
11 gauge galvanized, rivets are to pull panel down tight to squash the seam sealant between pan and support members below. All the support members exposed were cleaned, rust converted, primed, truck bed lined to prevent future rust. The Steering column shield insides were shot with rust converter as precaution. Next will be rosset welding it all in. Still gotta make the lip that bolts to bottom of the steering column shield and weld that on to the pan and bolt her in. Followed by heating and shape/stretching pan material into the depression at the spot where Cab is bolted to the Cab Tilt Hinge.

Last edited:

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Removed 430# of steel plate off the habitat floor today....
Should more than compensate for the planned solid wood flooring.

20190103_173415.jpg

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another 18 disassembled axles for 3.07 chunks and headed to the scrap yard today. I think this is my forth load of empty housings. I am DONE taking new axles apart for chunks and left with parts that nobody wants. I am tired of losing money and the many hours of labor doing it. I am not selling complete fronts or rears anymore.

Attachments

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allocated a laptop to the LMTV; its an older model Compaq with an unsupported Vista operating system. Perfect for viewing the 10,435 pages of TMs that I loaded on there. Shortly after that, I used the TMs. I just finished stripping off all that stuff between the cab and the bed so the fabricator can get in there and weld. I then checked to see if the truck will still run without that stuff. It started right up, but zero air pressure indicated. Nada. Nothing. Well crap, now what did I do? Consulted the air system troubleshooting tree, in less than 5 minutes I came to the decision block: is the hose between the air compressor and the air cleaner damaged? Oh,is that what that hose is for? I had disconnected it from the air cleaner and duct taped over the end so it would not get rain water in there. Removed the duct tape, attached to the air cleaner and bingo zingo all fixed. Zero cost. Gotta luv that.
View attachment air clean hose.docx

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Trued" a lumpy tire. A newish tire added recently was out of round enough that it noticeably bounced at slower speed.

The tire was jacked up (on the truck) and rotated to place the high spot on the bottom. The air was drained and all 20 wheel bolts loosened to give a little slack in the clamping force but not enough to lose the o-ring. Then the jack was lowered to place weight on the deflated tire (to produce a slight bulge) and hopefully 'redistribute' it on the wheel. The 20 bolts were retightened, tire aired up, and rotated. Most of the lump was gone!

Now the tire rides smooth. If you have an out-of-round tire you might try that.

Maybe the near-new tire was removed from service because it was not mounted symmetrically.

coachgeo

"Trued" a lumpy tire. .... The 20 bolts were retightened, tire aired up, and rotated. Most of the lump was gone!.....

If you have an out-of-round tire you might try that. ....
Much thanks,

Just for clarity..... are you saying (bolded text) ???

. you rotated the tires?
. Rotated/repositioned it on the hub orr?
. as it aired up it "spun/rotated" itself around the rim more evenly"?

Last edited:

TadB

This going to sound like a newbie question....lol. I've been around this site and owned military trucks for years. Stopped buying when the fmtv's came around. I own a forestry mulching business. Machines are 16k-24k. How would one of the tandem trucks do with that weight on the frame or on a 25k pintle hook trailer ??? The MTV I guess.

Third From Texas

Well, got my 150 lb pressure sensor for the CTIS PCU installed today (thanks for the tip, Tom Bauer). Shipped from China but arrived in 5 days. Installation (swap out with OEM) took all of 10 minutes.

CTIS now produces as follows...

Highway: 75 psi
XCountry: 45 psi
Sand: untested due to pre-existing valve issue I'm looking into

Pretty slick. Best $10 I've spent on the truck !

eBay search: Pressure Transducer Sender Sensor 0-4.5V Stainless Steel for Oil Fuel Air Water
Amazon search: AUTEX Pressure Transducer/Sender/Sensor 150/200 Psi Stainless Steel Compatible With Oil, Fuel, Air, Water (150 Psi)

*Be sure to get the 150# version

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks