• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Fishinshane

New LMTV owner.

New M1079 owner. 1998
Like to make some friends and meet people that enjoy working on miltary vihicles and like to share their knowledge about the subject and also box convertions.
Im keeping it simple for a minute just jazzed to have my new rig and talk it up with other owners.
Shane
Colambia Gorge, Oregon

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2019-02-21 14.30.23-1.jpg

Dropped her off at the shop for ECM and TCM updates. I want them to pull the engine data to see what the actual miles are (if accurate) and exactly what operating conditions the truck has been through.

Fishinshane

Picking up m1079 from Mo. in April driving back to Oregon 2000 miles.
OD reads 178 on truck.
Would like input on PM tool kit(to fly with) and motor break in for drive back and follow up PM apon arrivel

Third From Texas

Picking up m1079 from Mo. in April driving back to Oregon 2000 miles.
OD reads 178 on truck.
Would like input on PM tool kit(to fly with) and motor break in for drive back and follow up PM apon arrivel
Here's the tool list that I'm building for on-board (not including spare parts, etc). It's *way* more than you'd want to fly with, but you can always hit a Horror Freight before leaving MO:

Glad Hand
Air Hose and chuck
20 ton Air/Hydraulic Bottle Jack
Two 4' Breaker Bars
1 1/2" Truck Lug Wrench
Torque Multiplier Lug Nut Wrench Set *this is a MUST have, IMO (so awesome)
Pry bar/wrecker bar/tanker bar
SAE Wrench Set (up to 1 1/16)
Metric Wrench Set (up to 24mm)
SAE and Metric socket sets
Impact wrench
Various impact sockets (metric and SAE)
Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
SAE and Metric Long Allen Sets
Assorted Flat and Philips Screwdrivers
BigAss Hammer
Multimeter
Spool of 16g wire
Gorilla Glue
Gorilla Tape
Hose Tape
Electrical
TapeTeflon Tape
WD-40 or PB
Blaster
Spare 5-pin relays
Various hose clamps
Tie wraps
Flash light(s)
Work light
Rags
Mat to lay on under the truck
Shovel(s)

Here's a post with a great list of items (I need to go thru it myself and see what I've missed).

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152218-Essential-Tools-to-have-for-an-FMTV-Add-your-02

Last edited:

Fishinshane

Thanks Rocky, Im Shane i have wyo # as well casper area 247-37five3 If we roll throw Cheyenne ill let you know. It will be around April 19 or 20th.
Ill take any advice you want to offer up about the m1079 and its dependablity, maintenance, ect.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took advantage of the break in the deluge and got the turret cover off and repaired a rust hole and then filled in the holes drilled in the cab sides from the old signage from the army.
LMTV 3.jpgLMTV1.jpgLMTV 2.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pushed back 300 feet of old rotten wood and lots of shavings to the edge of my property line with a track skid steer. Then used the 1088 as a roller and smashed the stuff to flatten it out. Did a great job by the way.

Third From Texas

Started pulling tires for rotation (I needed to make sure I could swap one by myself anyway). Knocked the first one out in about 2 hours (using the "2 pipes" method). The torque multiplier worked like a champ. The new air jack handled the lift w/o breaking a sweat. Only issue I had was my my Chinese lug wrench (bent the handle rod when I was torquing everything back down).

I also pulled the CTIS valves off the two extra spare tires I have. Going to begin cleaning them up and replacing the hoses (the rubber has rotted and the steel braid has rusted). I have one spare CTIS set in the tool box as well. Glad I checked it because one hose is about three inches too short (must be off something else).

Got the materials to weld up for several additional flat bows for the bed cover (got a few spots where it collects water so I want to toss four more up top and install the longitudinal straps).

Picked up a 1000# crane for the bed from Northern Tool ($189.00) and added a 2000# Super Winch ($75.00) . Need to get materials to make the drop-in base next.

52837034_10213610142838431_3527665336960679936_n.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks