• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
I don't know if you got the part number for the block heater or not, but I used: 3500081 Zerostart Cat 3116 Engine Heater 1500w 120v

It was pretty easy but a snug fit. I used a piece pvc and a hammer to tap it in snug to the block. I drained maybe 8 gallons of antifreeze to get it below the knockout. Truth be told, I drained about 4.5 and then removed the knock out and about 3 more gallons came out.

The bench is a great idea. Your rig is looking really nice.
Thanks. How long is the cord?

coachgeo

I don't know if you got the part number for the block heater or not, but I used: 3500...
this is a generic-ish CAT fitting part made by several manufactures.... all with different part numbers. Also each manufacturer has several part #'s for their heater because its also sold with several combinations of accessories with each combination having their own part #. As well there is several different available wattage.. each with it is own part #. You order wattage to match your climate.

Thus in this case.. part # is sorta not really as useful. You should search and order based on your engine.... and climate, and desired accessories. Most of the various kits and wattages I discovered on fleet part websites, school bus sites etc.

Been there.. done that... bought the thang.

Last edited:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=1]Zerostart 350-0015 Engine Block Heater[/h]
Got this one off of Amazon a couple of years ago and it installed and works fine.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
stowed the panels

It took some messing around to get them to fit. The "receptacles" are not of uniform size. The tailgate cannot fit in the top slot because of the hinge. Worked out, eventually.
panels_small.jpgpanels2_small.jpg

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
made the truck 1% lighter

Just by removing the rearward airlift outriggers at 82.4 lbs each. Daaaaaang.

update: the fronts are 62 lbs each = almost 300 lbs total. Payload that can be used for something else, tools perhaps. And lots of Locktite ;)

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 749355I'll have to put the truck INSIDE air transport, I reckon ;)
I NEEEEEEEED a heavy-lift rotorcraft in my motor pool....

IMG_3619.JPG

Dear Santa,
I've been a really good boy this year.
Please put a BIG green helicopter in my Christmas Stocking.
I promise I'll leave milk, cookies, AND a WHOLE CHEESECAKE on the table next to the tree just for YOU!
Merry Christmas!
little johnny

Dock Rocker

I NEEEEEEEED a heavy-lift rotorcraft in my motor pool....

View attachment 749365

Dear Santa,
I've been a really good boy this year.
Please put a BIG green helicopter in my Christmas Stocking.
I promise I'll leave milk, cookies, AND a WHOLE CHEESECAKE on the table next to the tree just for YOU!
Merry Christmas!
little johnny
I would also ask for a years supply of fuel and a jam up mechanic while I was asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KGBruce

[h=1]Zerostart 350-0015 Engine Block Heater[/h]
Got this one off of Amazon a couple of years ago and it installed and works fine.

I bought the zero start model 3500081 1500w from Drivetrain America. It was a ridiculously easy job! Why can't all repairs and improvements be this easy? Also did an air dryer upgrade for an encore. Can anybody tell me how to test if the heating element in the air dryer is working? I tested the 24 V supply so I assume it works? Always hate to assume!!

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just looking at stuff

Am looking at stuff to see what might be a problem later, then do PM sooner.

Steering hose pinched and the cab mount pretty well shot,
The inner belt is CAT...no way that could be original??
Outer belts look new. I don't know what style the fan clutch is as I don't know what to compare it to.
Oh, and looking for a place to install the power cut out. Maybe where the decontamination sensor box is (alternator cables are routed near there), have not decided yet.
pinch.jpginner belt.jpgouter belts.jpgcutout.jpg

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To alleviate your ,( or others) read DOT, center of gravity concerns, take it to a CAT weigh scale, and weigh each axle.
Thats what we do, and we adjust the HAB moving it front or rear, to make a perfect weight distribution on the Rear and Intermediates, then solid build it.

I got a 22ft box installed!!! It's HUGE! I'm like an inch or two shy of 13.5ft...
View attachment 741223View attachment 741222

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks