• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 753768Change 4 batteries out this week ouch ��������
You must be independently wealthy, a lottery winner, have a hobby fund unbeknownst to your wife, or simply be a green iron addict who flagrantly throws financial prudence to the wind.

GOOD JOB ! ! ! :goodjob:
rofl:jumpin:

Dmljohnson

,Just a hobby ��������, had it park for awhile I just got some time to continue playing with them, still not sure what I’m doing with it, thinking bout putting a flat bed on it or building an gxv still undesided, I love driving it around town, not a lotto winner I wish...

Last edited:

Dmljohnson

I honestly don’t know why anyone sticks with 4 batteries. Even when I lived in central NY (plenty cold) never needed more than 2. My 923 and LMTV are and always will be 2 batteries. Just my 2 cents
i tried starting it once with 2 batteries , it struggle to turn it

Crapgame

Brand new throttle position sensor installed Monday, new cotter pin to complete install of eyelet today; Fan Clutch air line replaced, fan shroud reinstalled. Had to run the TPS reset procedures twice, the brakes were stuck from sitting since I got sick a couple weeks ago. But once it freed up, I dug a furrow in my back yard in Reverse, was able to run some doughnuts in 2nd gear to see if it would still throw the D1 1221 TPS low code. Road Test tomorrow before it rains. I have to put the inside door panels back on and I need to find another window crank assy, one of my originals has the plastic cover cracked. I feel better about trading it over to Joe for his 1986 M998 now. Anybody else have to yell at the WTECII unit because it wasn't functioning in a Mr Spock logical manner?

wandering neurons

Buddy of mine told me that his Prius does not self-identify as a truck. So we used mine to get a bale of hay for his farm critters. Used the davit crane and a chain hoist to unload. Easy-peasy.

And while other drivers were skittering across the ice and snow covered roads in East Colorado (West Kansas), Goliath kept on truckin' at 45mph. (need some high-speed gears!)

GoliathDeliveringHay.jpg

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the broken window cranks with some cheap Mack truck ones I found. Not much for the chrome (since found out they are available in black also) but they fit and work great.
F04DE9E4-4148-4E35-BE18-4AE8189FD552.jpgBB995E9C-22BA-474A-9BAC-8E3CF333293E.jpg63144701-2EAD-4F5E-98B3-4BBA60E1AB0F.jpg

Im going to get the black ones now just to finish it off better. Only mod I had to make was to open up the hole in the door panel ever so slightly to allow the bigger diameter of the crank, but it’s invisible once installed. Very easy and very inexpensive fix. Including the screws and a pair of handles under $20.

F464A8DA-7B4E-4E13-A1F3-16B7D175C212.jpg

wandering neurons

Copy that, will pay more attention next time. Though at the moment, I'm Too Poor To Pay Attention...

coolio... just in case you didn't catch it.. there is another thread that has same look as this one's title but..... it is "what have you done WITH...." where this is "what have you done TO...." Made the same snafu myself already as well. Next time we'll get it right lol

Dmljohnson

I did that early last year so I can’t remember the part no, I know it’s for a newer Freightliner, you must used a plate on the inner part of the door so it can be stable, I took the rubber seal from the door mirror mounts and made a plate for it, there also a re enforcement pc of steel where the existing door mirrors are bolted onto, when you remove the apholstry you will see it, make sure your backing plates or big washers don’t hit it, but real easy to install...
50BA4F89-E6AD-4AA8-AABF-074D89AC2C8E.jpg

I like the position I put mines in, because I can see the back perfectly and the front wheels using the blind mirror...

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"I honestly don’t know why anyone sticks with 4 batteries. Even when I lived in central NY (plenty cold) never needed more than 2. My 923 and LMTV are and always will be 2 batteries. Just my 2 cents"

I'm thinking that if one is winching, or has an adventure rig shelter using capacity then four would be a good thing. How many batteries does a Top Kick or Kodiak run?

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old Rusty.... got some of his rust removed today. (removed more floor board)... did further evaluation of what is too be done. First time working on her in a month. Like our usual once a week sessions on Saturdays; we only had a 3-4 hours to do anything.
Sessions....like therapy? :)

agazza2

FMTV Parts aquistion

Purchased a bunch of FMTV parts from member NV5556 at the Arizona Military Vehicle show this weekend and was able to view (drool) over his 2006 M1078A1R. Absolutely a great guy to buy parts from and very knowledgeable on the CTIS. We were able to get my CTIS working with the parts he brought to the show. I had 5 flashing lights.

A new solenoid box fixed my issues. Ended up buying Trailer canvas support rails, Fuel gauge, passenger side visor, roof headliner, and a few other things. Also picked up a Jerry can holder to finish out the other side lower boxes on my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks