• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

KGBruce

Im planning on installing a block heater for cold weather. I have these on both of my diesel tractors and they work beautifully! Is this the same thing as a coolant heater?

KGBruce

Besides this https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-use-in-rear&p=2173529&viewfull=1#post2173529

did this

View attachment 747868View attachment 747869

nicely installed a 1500 watt 110v coolant heater for winter starting. Also will eventually install a NOS Diesel coolant heater. Last of those made for the Deuces that are NOT Eberspacher or Webasto. Will plumb it for engine/cab heat as well be selectable for camper space heating. Cost was probably 1/3 of that of the more modern units. Only time will tell how well it works. That install is a bit down the road.
Sorry! Forgot to attatch the quote

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im planning on installing a block heater for cold weather. I have these on both of my diesel tractors and they work beautifully! Is this the same thing as a coolant heater?
Technically yes, though I think sometimes the term "coolant heater" is used more specifically to refer to the style that goes inline in the radiator hose, thus heating the coolant mainly. These block heaters replace one of the freeze plugs in the block, hence the name "block heater", but they are technically heating the coolant in there. Block heater part number is in the spreadsheet in my signature below.

Radiator hose coolant heater:
RadiatorHoseHeater.jpg

aleigh

Registered the truck today. In AZ, when titling a commercial truck, you get to choose the GVW. I chose the curb weight of 17,770 + 1 ton payload = 19,770 GVW. Why did I do that? Because of the parking regulations here in Tucson. The GVW is printed on the registration, and I'll print it on the truck door as well. I do not plan to haul more than a ton of anything. If I do the "Big Camper" thing, well, the bed at 2400 lbs can come off, allowing me to stay under the declared max.

Sec. 20-262. Truck parking on streets not designated as truck routes prohibited.(a) It is unlawful to park any vehicle having a total gross vehicle weight rating in excess of twenty thousand (20,000) pounds, including, but not limited to, trucks, truck tractors, road tractors, trailers, semi-trailers, vehicle transporters, or any combination of such vehicles:(1) On a street not designated as a truck route under article I section 20-15 of this chapter; or(2) On a street posted pursuant to section 20-15.1(b) with a sign or signs limiting the gross weight of vehicles permitted on the street; or(3) Within a residence district.
PSA: I was surprised to learn in AZ that the declared gross is for the combination, so includes a trailer...

KGBruce

Technically yes, though I think sometimes the term "coolant heater" is used more specifically to refer to the style that goes inline in the radiator hose, thus heating the coolant mainly. These block heaters replace one of the freeze plugs in the block, hence the name "block heater", but they are technically heating the coolant in there. Block heater part number is in the spreadsheet in my signature below.

Thanks for the explanation and the pic of the inline hose heater (didn't know there was such a thing) please post how well this works! I started my truck (1078) last night and it took about 15 seconds of continuous cranking before it started. It was 28degrees pretty much the entire day so I think mid to low 20's may be about my limit for starting without ether or adding some type of heater. Looks like the inline coolant heater is the easiest to install.

View attachment 748281

coachgeo

Can't seem to post my reply? It ended up in the Quote!!!???
just watch the (quote) and (/quote) pairing and you will figure it out. Sometimes on this board it wants to automatically add some and that drives me nuts.

example below... the real syntax is to use [ ] and not ( ) but had to use those so you could see them and the software not act on them.

(quote)
(quote)Technically yes, though I think sometimes the term "coolant heater" is used more specifically to refer to the style that goes inline in the radiator hose, thus heating the coolant mainly. These block heaters replace one of the freeze plugs in the block, hence the name "block heater", but they are technically heating the coolant in there. Block heater part number is in the spreadsheet in my signature below.(/quote)
Thanks for the explanation and the pic of the inline hose heater (didn't know there was such a thing) please post how well this works! I started my truck (107:cool: last night and it took about 15 seconds of continuous cranking before it started. It was 28degrees pretty much the entire day so I think mid to low 20's may be about my limit for starting without ether or adding some type of heater. Looks like the inline coolant heater is the easiest to install.
Radiator hose coolant heater
(/quote)
as to easier to install inline.... not really. where freeze plug it is located on this CAT (by turbo) it is a very easy job. Just watch a few Youtbue videos on generic installs of these and your good to go. IMHO it is easier.. or just as easy as hose but does not create other areas for future leaks and is nowhere as efficient so you'll spend longer waiting for her to heat up enough to start a happy engine.

Primary thing is you want to warm the temperature inside the combustion chamber. The secondary thing you want to heat up; for longevity of engine, is the cylinder walls and a block/coolant heater is just quicker at that than a hose/coolant heater. With hose type one is more liable to start her while each are at just enough to start... but not really close to best hot/warm cylinder walls. With block/coolant heater both are more at right temps so much sooner your more liable to be starting closer to optimal temps thus less ring coking from fuel that could not ignite well on a cold cylinder wall. With cooler walls that unburnt fuel drains down and cokes up the rings.

Well something like that.... probably not exact description, but something to that effect at least...

Last edited:

KGBruce

So there are other important advantages of heating the block than just ease of starting. Makes good sense! Good insensitive to install one ASAP! I'll get familiar with the install with some Utube videos. I think I might be able to do my own Apendectomy by watching Utube! 😂 Thanks again!!

snowtrac nome

The soft plug engine heater is a lot more efficient at warming the block because that's really all it does the tank type heaters rely on convection to move coolant through the cooling system to heat the engine, if they aren't placed right they wont warm the whole engine, or any of the engine at all. what the heck electricity must be cheap down in the states, with all the extra charges it equates to about a buck a kwh up here, I intend to warm the engine the most efficient way possible.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the explanation and the pic of the inline hose heater (didn't know there was such a thing) please post how well this works! I started my truck (107 last night and it took about 15 seconds of continuous cranking before it started. It was 28degrees pretty much the entire day so I think mid to low 20's may be about my limit for starting without ether or adding some type of heater. Looks like the inline coolant heater is the easiest to install.
I don't have one of those inline heaters on my LMTV. I once had one on a K5 Blazer, because it was easier to install than trying to take the exhaust manifolds off to get to the freeze plugs. It worked ok.

On the CAT 3116 engine, the freeze plug you need to remove is very accessible. In fact, you can literally see it below the turbo while standing next to the tire. The longest part of the install is draining the coolant and routing the wire nicely - the actual removal of the freeze plug and install of the heater takes about 5 minutes.

The freeze plug block heaters work "better", because you're heating closer to the parts that matter. With an inline style heater, you're also heating the hoses, the radiator, etc., and since it's cold outside a lot of that heat gets lost before it makes it to the engine. You're not really trying to get the engine or coolant warm/hot - you're just trying to elevate the temperature enough that it can get started, at which point the running engine can take care of itself. On inline heaters, once you start cranking you'll pull that warmed coolant into the engine where it can sit next to the cylinders and raise the temp the couple-dozen degrees necessary to get going, while with the block style it's already heating close to the cylinders (and keeping it a bit warmer) so it should start easier.

When it's in the 20's and 30's, mine will take 15-30 seconds of cranking to keep itself going. In colder weather, I will sometimes have to crank for 3-6 periods of about 30 seconds each before it will stay running. Once you get it running it will smooth out and run normally within about 10-20 seconds. My ether assist doesn't work (anyone have one for sale off a parts truck?), but it doesn't seem like the batteries are bothered by this much cranking, even in below zero weather. That's all without the block heater on. If you turn the block heater on, even for just 30-60 minutes, it's usually able to heat up the area around a couple cylinders enough that those cylinders can fire and keep the engine loping along long enough to get running. If you plug it in for a few hours, it starts right up like it does on a cooler 40-50°F morning.

Last edited:

KGBruce

You guys have convinced me. I ordered the "Zero Start" block heater. Cost me $87.00. Glad to hear it should be an easy install. BTW...very cool Snow Cat!!!!

snowtrac nome

You guys have convinced me. I ordered the "Zero Start" block heater. Cost me $87.00. Glad to hear it should be an easy install. BTW...very cool Snow Cat!!!![/QUOTE
An interesting piece of trivia about those early model st-4 snowrac's , there are a lot of surplus vw parts on them. the steering wheels on the pre 70 models were left over kubelwagon steering wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks