• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about done stripping this M1078A1 down for parts. She suffered heavy damage to the cab while in service and was slowly picked for parts while in DRMO. At the end of the day I'll have a nice low mile C7 engine, full harnesses, etc as spares. I may make this my test engine for running higher hp packages. Oddly the block ID tag says 275 hp but the valve cover says 330 hp. When I plug into it next week I'll know what the factory really programmed them at.

Attachments

coachgeo

Keep in mind before you scrap the chassis; sections of chassis rail can be beneficial to anyone adding an extension to end of their rig to accommodate a slightly longer than OEM bed... camper box

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind before you scrap the chassis; sections of chassis rail can be beneficial to anyone adding an extension to end of their rig to accommodate a slightly longer than OEM bed... camper box
That's what the rear 5' are for. On the plus side it has the extendable pintle.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New glad hans on all 4 corners. Philips brand. Front: easy. Rear: PITA through frame fittings seized. Some schedule 40 zinc fittings present. Upgraded windshield
wiper blades to PIAA silicone. Previous wipers went bad very fast. Silicone will last around 10 years. Working on replacing washer lines in wiper blades tonight.

View attachment 784564View attachment 784565View attachment 784566View attachment 784567View attachment 784568
Have you tried using the wipers yet? I replaced all mine with beam blades like that, and they don't wipe the window well at all.

Reworked LMTV

Yes, they seem work well. I run Rain-X in case the wipers fail altogether. Cheap insurance. I'm going try the silicone washer lines today. Will post results.

You may want to check the wiper spring tension. I have seen replacement arms somewhere.

Have you tried using the wipers yet? I replaced all mine with beam blades like that, and they don't wipe the window well at all.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Love that crane.
I'm about done stripping this M1078A1 down for parts. She suffered heavy damage to the cab while in service and was slowly picked for parts while in DRMO. At the end of the day I'll have a nice low mile C7 engine, full harnesses, etc as spares. I may make this my test engine for running higher hp packages. Oddly the block ID tag says 275 hp but the valve cover says 330 hp. When I plug into it next week I'll know what the factory really programmed them at.

snowtrac nome

I repaired the infamous broken outside door handle with a nice new one I got from Omar in tx I suppose he was feeling the holiday spirit because he tossed in 2 new window cranks to Thanks Omar.

Reworked LMTV

Trailer 12 Pin cord showed wear on insulation. One trick that I use with minor to moderate insulation wear is to spray the insulation with liquid electrical tape spray rubber. I used this on the NATO cables in the battery box too. Works great on road rash or UV breakdown and makes it look a lot better. $7 at Lowes. You can see how nice it looks next to my feet.

20191211_083421.jpg20191211_154826.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Rear view camera installed. Replaced PYLE camera with IR security camera. Much improved quality and now has really good night vision. Can't really tell from this picture though, since the photo washed out. Alternator noise noted on screen, so will need filter. 20191211_171025.jpg

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Washer hoses replaced with 4MM silicone rubber. Will not fit under stock plastic covers. Plastic covers are shot anyway. This hose is thicker and will last 10 times as long. Original hoses very shot. Jet clips broke due to UV exposure. No surprise. Everything placed fine with zip ties. There are 4 jets per wiper. Will try to find new ones. For now, zip tied in place. Will work on replacement wiper springs next. Rain-X used as added precaution, in case wipers fail. Wipers are silicone. FYI: You must hear a click when placing the new blades. If not, the blades are not seated and can fly off.

Fairly simple project. Recommend replacing line from tank to elbows too. Might replace elbows with brass ones. Too much plastic in these trucks.

Radiator painted black.
20191211_154801.jpg

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the injectors on this C7 which wasn't nearly as bad as CAT tech videos suggested. I'm taking the injectors to get tested while they're out and yes they're numbered too. I did a ton of research on penetrating fluids and for this unseizing job liquid wrench was the pack leader. Acetone/ATF mix was second best but since it settles out I passed on it. Anyway.. now I'm letting time do its work and will give it a jiggle here and there with a breaker bar unit it frees up.

Attachments

jmpogue89

BUMP! I got in my new-to-me M1078A1. I took a gamble on a non-runner from a local source. It came out of the 3-1 Assault Helicopter Battalion from Knox shows the log book. Last date was 06 June 16 so it's a fairly recent release from service. Even the annual service was due 4/13/17 which makes me feel better about it not sitting around. The log shows all "Go" marks except for one tail light in-op. I had the truck hauled home to be on the safe side both due to safety and the likely trouble with an A1. The batteries were dead, had a full tank of fuel but no prime (typical bad primer), and found the cab's hydraulic jack leak too. Luckily the wrecker came in handy after a little priming for the safety latch to release. After a quick prime and slave she turned over but no-start. I'll be getting back after the holiday to plug in a diagnostic reader to see what's up. By then I'll have fresh (or recovered) batteries for it among other things. My helper learned a thing or two too. :mrgreen:
Any update?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did I do to my MTV today. Had a very light coat of the black tar / taffy starting to gather in the fuel tank. Pumped the tank down adding it to the Deuce. Drained the last four gallons into a five gallon bucket and put the bottom plug back in. Added 18 gallons of E85 and will let it sit a week or so and see if it dissolve's it. Trying this fist instead of removing the tank. Pic inside of the tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrMikey4026

I took my LMTV and the 3116 cat to the local Caterpillar dealer for a new #5 injector. I then had the great pleasure of having the mounting bolts fall out of the alternator. Of course it fell off the engine at 5:00 am.

Reworked LMTV

I took my LMTV and the 3116 cat to the local Caterpillar dealer for a new #5 injector. I then had the great pleasure of having the mounting bolts fall out of the alternator. Of course it fell off the engine at 5:00 am.
Driveshafts balanced?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks