• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

coachgeo

Mustangsud

you struck gold.... rare these days to find the middle third with the better highway ratio. how long ago did you buy it?.... and where from? Inquiring minds want to know. Myself got mine 3yrs-ish? ago so Im set. Got. 14R20's to go on for the final ultimate-ish ratio
We just got three complete sets to do three of our trucks, two 1088's and one 1083. We ordered them within the last month, and I'm not trying to be coy on purpose, but my mechanic found them somewhere and I really don't know where.

Phoenix77

Selling my M1078 "Atlas" that I had gotten pretty far into fixing up with LED lights bars on the sides, front, and LED cubes in the rear and cargo bed - all independently operated on switches, installed leather seats etc.

Selling that one because I realized my wife wasn't going to actually go anywhere in it ever, so I should get rid of it and keep the humble M1081 I got as a flip truck and keep it "real", but with some improvements, the way I did my soft top 1986 M998. Rugged, military, no frills, enhanced function, cool.

But I had all these materials laying around, so why waste them...

Before:0531211144.jpg

Phoenix77

I've got the door and wall panels off and insulated; I've got four (4) Rockford Fosgate 6" speakers that aren't being used; no reason to let them sit in a box...

Hmmm, a Bluetooth car head unit is only $25...

I'll need to power it and run wires for the speakers, so some wiring isn't a big deal.0723211917.jpg0723211951_HDR.jpg0723212005_HDR.jpg0723212034_HDR.jpg

Phoenix77

Since I'm going to be running wires, might as well get out the unused LED bars leftover from my previous projects... I could get a few more to supplement them for pretty cheap and pick up some wire too...

🤔

I'll do a 30 cal can as a power center to keep things "simple"

But I might as well do the rear camera as a rearview for function and safety.

And since this is a utilitarian truck, a bed camera for load monitoring is a good safety addition for peace of mind. Just a few more wires...0724211634.jpg0725210734_HDR.jpg0725210636_HDR.jpg0725210700a_HDR.jpg0725211305_HDR.jpg0725212047_HDR.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've got the door and wall panels off and insulated; I've got four (4) Rockford Fosgate 6" speakers that aren't being used; no reason to let them sit in a box...

Hmmm, a Bluetooth car head unit is only $25...

I'll need to power it and run wires for the speakers, so some wiring isn't a big deal.View attachment 840623View attachment 840624View attachment 840625View attachment 840626
Nice. So, you think the wife might go for it if you had a set of steps to climb in and out on?
Seems like a shame not to run around the neighborhood in it a few times...

Phoenix77

🤔I installed the dynamat material on the floor and ran wires... I have this enormous 1/2" neoprene exercise mat I was going to use on the other truck to cover the floor, but the OEM mats were in good shape.

Why waste that?

I have a roll of 1/8" rubber mat lying around too; should put that over the neoprene over the dynamat to keep the neoprene from getting damaged...0722211633_HDR.jpg0722211709.jpg

Phoenix77

My gauge dimmer was toast so I bypassed it, leaving a hole in the dash.

🤔A keyed ignition is only $12 and adds peace0723211730.jpg of mind, so I'll just do that and keep the push button start. It's not like I'm going overboard here...

Phoenix77

Only about 200' of wiring, but this is just utilitarian... Nothing excessive here...

Replace / add door gaskets / seals, power center has independent cutoff switch, cargo bed cam with have independent power switch, but this is all only a few bucks here and there, and purely utilitarian...0725211305.jpg0725210700a_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenix77

The seats haven't been in the truck for over five (5) days and basically I have done everything and more - with the exception of leather seats - to my "humble utilitarian M-1081", now names Achilles after reaching consensus with my teenage daughter.

I am fully immersed in the rabbit hole.

I spent ~8 hrs yesterday wiring.

Third From Texas

Only about 200' of wiring, but this is just utilitarian... Nothing excessive here...

Replace / add door gaskets / seals, power center has independent cutoff switch, cargo bed cam with have independent power switch, but this is all only a few bucks here and there, and purely utilitarian...View attachment 840636View attachment 840637

Really looking sharp !

Cab interior looks like it will be my winter project.

ramdough

Might as well put down surplus insulation - just to not waste it...

If I get just one (1) more box, I can do the entire cab

If I'm doing the ceiling, might as well get some 150 mil insulation too...View attachment 840620View attachment 840621View attachment 840622
Like the progress. You are going faster than I am. Sounds like you are a great husband….. taking such great care of your wife and all.

One question/comment….. I can’t tell if you rolled the KillMat or not. Just pointing out that it is supposed to be rolled and the dimples should be less obvious. It won’t work as well as designed unless it is properly rolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Good eye, @ramdough, I have not yet rolled it. It will kill my shoulders (arthritis, pinched nerves, and a couple surgeries on my right shoulder), so I am waiting until I get all the wiring done before I chance taking myself out of action for a few days.

I'll roll the whole of the cab at once before buttoning back up.
Hope your shoulders hold together…. I spent about a month waiting on something I did to heal in the middle of my project as well. Sucks getting old, but better than the alternative. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix77

Thanks, @ramdough.

After work yesterday, I got the disproportionately large LED bar for the bed installed, installed the cargo cam, got it wired on an independent switch so I can toggle it on / off.

Removed all the masking tape on the lights / reflectors as well. This evening I will get the rear camera power hooked up (~5min project; wires already run), then mount and wire the screen.

I'll get pics with better light, but the red is the power center toggle and the small amber is the cargo bed cam power. I'll mount the monitor about where it is now.
0726211923a_HDR.jpg0726212038.jpg0726211923_HDR.jpg

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got hooked up because I lost 17 litre of transmission oil. One thread on the transmission for the coolant pipe fitting was gone. I was able to pull the fitting out with the hand.
My truck had the metal tubes from trans to cooler, 3 years ago I changed them to flex pipes after that one tube broke at the connection to the fitting.

If I remember right the thread was already damaged there, but was dry for 3 years now...

image0.jpeg
What we did is remove the washer and screw in as much as possible the fitting. With a lot of liquid gasket (high temperature).... Problem with the original solution is that only first 1/3 of the entire thread is used. Now I hope it's safe...

Christian

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks