• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Phoenix77

Installed 150 mil insulation over the [properly installed subsequent to being rolled with ridged metal roller] dynamat 80 mil insulation. Installed remnants of neoprene exercise mat in recesses on back of cab using Gorilla Glue spray adhesive.

Ran out of neoprene mat, so going to do rubber diamond plate mat on ceiling adhered by flooring glue. I just remember that stuff being terminally tenacious, so going to give it a shot. Inexpensive too.0801211958_HDR.jpg0801211958a_HDR.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I finally put 2 of the 6 new to me xmls on today then 2 tomorrow then 2 complete dismount and remount for the steer tires that ought to put me in a wheel chair lol
chucky - Those tires look sharp!

Work a little, take a break, work a little more, take another break.
That isn't easy work for sure!

You are making good progress.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why did you opt for the Michelins over the Goodyears., my 1078 has Goodyears on the front and Michelins in the rear...... I like the look of the Michelins but the ride quality if the Goodyears is supposed to be better
Ride quality never really entered into my thought pattern at all on a 5 ton army truck that never gets on the interstate . Its all about where my truck will operate which where i live will be mud oriented so big gaps in the lugs seem to get better traction in rough muddy terrain ! The goodyear mvt look great i just got a trailer with 4 of them on it but i beleave they were more pointed towards sandy conditions just my take on it ! Just pick the tire for what your going to need it to do for you and where the truck will be operating . Hope this helps

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
chucky - Those tires look sharp!

Work a little, take a break, work a little more, take another break.
That isn't easy work for sure!

You are making good progress.
Thanks it will come together one day ! First tire day went better than expected ! just waiting for the 2 i have to break down to see whats inside !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have (2)-2019 XMLs ready to go. Perfect steers
i just bought 2 from colony tire but ive got to break down my 2 steer tires hoping its just got a bead lock in them so i have them for the 2 new ones if they have them big rubber runflats instead im going to have my hands full trying to swap them ! Im curious does everybody getting new tires leave the runflats out or put them back in the new tires?? This week ive been pulling the tires and wheels offf 2 1082s for my drive axles but one yesterday on the last trailer was in the tall weeds and had been sitting on the rim for a while so when i get it aired up it had light cracking where the rim had been sitting on the sidewall so im passing on that one but got me to thinking do the trailers not have runflats in those tires?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i just bought 2 from colony tire but ive got to break down my 2 steer tires hoping its just got a bead lock in them so i have them for the 2 new ones if they have them big rubber runflats instead im going to have my hands full trying to swap them ! Im curious does everybody getting new tires leave the runflats out or put them back in the new tires?? This week ive been pulling the tires and wheels offf 2 1082s for my drive axles but one yesterday on the last trailer was in the tall weeds and had been sitting on the rim for a while so when i get it aired up it had light cracking where the rim had been sitting on the sidewall so im passing on that one but got me to thinking do the trailers not have runflats in those tires?
Not certain, but I think installation of runflats are dependent on where the vehicle was last.
Seems based on what I read here there are a lot more without than with.

Balance isn't very important because speed and runflat "does not compute" plus they also add a lot of unsprung weight.
If you are on the highway, balanced tires will make you a lot happier.

Maybe some of the other guys can chime in with runflat commentary?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not certain, but I think installation of runflats are dependent on where the vehicle was last.
Seems based on what I read here there are a lot more without than with.

Balance isn't very important because speed and runflat "does not compute" plus they also add a lot of unsprung weight.

Maybe some of the other guys can chime in with runflat commentary?
Thanks for that info !

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing I checked was wheel component run out. On the two worst wheel assemblies I had, they were up to 1/8" out of round. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but by swapping wheel "faces" and "bells" (not sure of the correct technical name), I was able to get them all fairly concentric. With the tire on, it went from ~3/8" total out of round to something which I could sensibly just ignore. Made a huge difference in an aft position on an unloaded 1088.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well babys got new shoes !!! Im gona get lucky tonight !!! The breaking down 395s went really easy i was surprised and all these had were bead locks in the steer tires ! I grinder brushed all the threads that seemed to help alot but i had to use a hand held 3/4 impact to break em loose on the rim itself i soaked em in pb is all i had but it helped and used alot of dawn mixed water to keep everything soapy wet and let the bead soak in a while one hit with the sledge and stuck the tire spoon in and she gave up the ghost !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well babys got new shoes !!! Im gona get lucky tonight !!! The breaking down 395s went really easy i was surprised and all these had were bead locks in the steer tires ! I grinder brushed all the threads that seemed to help alot but i had to use a hand held 3/4 impact to break em loose on the rim itself i soaked em in pb is all i had but it helped and used alot of dawn mixed water to keep everything soapy wet and let the bead soak in a while one hit with the sledge and stuck the tire spoon in and she gave up the ghost !
And now that you are "tired", you should rest up so you can enjoy the luck later! :cool:
Go man go!!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big question before i tap out is i took the led tail lights off one of the 1082 to put on my 1083 does anybody know if the metal tags on each wire use the same numbers on the trucks and trailer as long as the lite is going back in same postion from the trailer to the truck ?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The big question before i tap out is i took the led tail lights off one of the 1082 to put on my 1083 does anybody know if the metal tags on each wire use the same numbers on the trucks and trailer as long as the lite is going back in same postion from the trailer to the truck ?
I believe the 3 numbered tags are the same on the 'bulb buckets" for the truck and trailer.
Should be safe to swap them and re-plug.

I have purchased several tail lights and there is no "left" and a different "right" bucket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks