• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Phoenix77

The F in FMTV is for Family. That is the entire series of trucks.

An LMTV is part of the FMTV “family”.

A 6x6 is really just an MTV where as a 4x4 is an LMTV.

This gets confused a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on your truck's drivetrain disposition, "F" may mean something other than Family...

Just saying.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many kidneys did that cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Or if that's too sensitive, how many USD did it cost?
before I answer....here is my logic for the "new" retran... I found pieces parts of a bearing race and needle bearings on my transfer case drain plug and screen filter ....plus in deceleration above 30 mph a metal in metal "growl" was heard....upon acceleration the "growl" stopped...the transmission shift through all gears no sweat and never through a code...hmmm
posted many a "help help help" on SS and without actually having a knowledge trusted SS member hear noise..a proper and accurate description was impossible...

I then contacted Orlando Allison where by the service manager told me , "if it has an Allison , we can fit it".. $550 53 mile hot shot transport to Orlando Allison, where the 1078 sat for 1 week... untouched... I provided their master technician with the TMs outlining the transmission removal and installation as well as the pieces parts of the destroyed bearing.

1 week later Orlando Allison's response "we ain't touching it"..another $550 mike transport back...and the saga continues..

various reliable parts sources from well established SS members had a used tranny /TC assemblies for $4k-6k including transportation to Daytona..BUT there was no guarantee that the tranny would perform at all.. huge gamble indeed... now when I brought this concern up to the "used parts guys" in this forum, they said 8f it doesn't work we will send you another one...which is the right thing to do, but that did not included shipping costs..which was fair. Then another problem arose of installation..no one in central Florida would touch it... according to the TMs, the install does not appear extremely difficult...the problem arose with having a large enough speciality transmission jack....and labor was estimated at $2500-$3000... and in the event if install was successful but the transmission was bad...that would be another $2500-$3000 plus transportation costs of a 2nd used transmission....the potential costs of a crap shoot transmission where adding up..
Suprman said contact MTP or XCaliber they may be able to help...(MME completely blew me off....surprise surprise) The crew at XCaliber were fantastic in answering questions, but did not have a rebuild available...
I then contacted central Florida Allison in Jacksonville.. their response "nope we don't deal in military transmission"... even though a retran is listed as as available in their parts catalog..
I call to MTP Drivetrain in Louisiana and they said "no problem"...all they needed was a 30 day lead in time to assemble/Dyno a retran and that was it ....
But prior to pulling the trigger on a retran, having a competant service center installs it was the major obstacle... A trip to Daytona CAT/Ring power, with the TMs and bearings fragments.... 10 minutes later after reviewing the TMs with their lead mechanics... they said "Bring it "...great guys at Daytona CAT/Ring Power...

Both the retran and installation co e with a 1 year warranty..which may be great or meaningless..

Bottom line do I spend @$7k-$9k w/installation on a crap shoot transmission which may/may not last 10 minutes.. then pay an additional @$4k for transport/install of a second crap shoot transmission..or do purchase the MTP retran for $10,512 with transportation to Daytona CAT ?...either way it's super expensive but smart money said go with the retran.....🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
before I answer....here is my logic for the "new" retran... I found pieces parts of a bearing race and needle bearings on my transfer case drain plug and screen filter ....plus in deceleration above 30 mph a metal in metal "growl" was heard....upon acceleration the "growl" stopped...the transmission shift through all gears no sweat and never through a code...hmmm
posted many a "help help help" on SS and without actually having a knowledge trusted SS member hear noise..a proper and accurate description was impossible...

I then contacted Orlando Allison where by the service manager told me , "if it has an Allison , we can fit it".. $550 53 mile hot shot transport to Orlando Allison, where the 1078 sat for 1 week... untouched... I provided their master technician with the TMs outlining the transmission removal and installation as well as the pieces parts of the destroyed bearing.

1 week later Orlando Allison's response "we ain't touching it"..another $550 mike transport back...and the saga continues..

various reliable parts sources from well established SS members had a used tranny /TC assemblies for $4k-6k including transportation to Daytona..BUT there was no guarantee that the tranny would perform at all.. huge gamble indeed... now when I brought this concern up to the "used parts guys" in this forum, they said 8f it doesn't work we will send you another one...which is the right thing to do, but that did not included shipping costs..which was fair. Then another problem arose of installation..no one in central Florida would touch it... according to the TMs, the install does not appear extremely difficult...the problem arose with having a large enough speciality transmission jack....and labor was estimated at $2500-$3000... and in the event if install was successful but the transmission was bad...that would be another $2500-$3000 plus transportation costs of a 2nd used transmission....the potential costs of a crap shoot transmission where adding up..
Suprman said contact MTP or XCaliber they may be able to help...(MME completely blew me off....surprise surprise) The crew at XCaliber were fantastic in answering questions, but did not have a rebuild available...
I then contacted central Florida Allison in Jacksonville.. their response "nope we don't deal in military transmission"... even though a retran is listed as as available in their parts catalog..
I call to MTP Drivetrain in Louisiana and they said "no problem"...all they needed was a 30 day lead in time to assemble/Dyno a retran and that was it ....
But prior to pulling the trigger on a retran, having a competant service center installs it was the major obstacle... A trip to Daytona CAT/Ring power, with the TMs and bearings fragments.... 10 minutes later after reviewing the TMs with their lead mechanics... they said "Bring it "...great guys at Daytona CAT/Ring Power...

Both the retran and installation co e with a 1 year warranty..which may be great or meaningless..

Bottom line do I spend @$7k-$9k w/installation on a crap shoot transmission which may/may not last 10 minutes.. then pay an additional @$4k for transport/install of a second crap shoot transmission..or do purchase the MTP retran for $10,512 with transportation to Daytona CAT ?...either way it's super expensive but smart money said go with the retran.....🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Well... There is something to be said for installed and running . Not cheap, but not having a heart attack when you get so pissed that the transmission you bought and installed didn't work could be really costly. Then that first good take out had to be removed - so another good take out can be installed and hope that the second one works...

I have to agree with what you did. Frustration level should be a lot less and it sounds that Daytona CAT/Ring are good guys.

Last edited:

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well... There is something to be said for installed and running . Not cheap, but not having a heart attack when you get so pissed that the transmission you bought and installed didn't work could be really costly. Then that first good take out had to be removed - so another good take out can be installed and hope that the second one works...

I have to agree with what you did. Frustration level should be a lot less and it sounds that Daytona CAT/Ring are good guys.
was it odd was that the technicians at Orlando Allison are so used to working on school buses and cement mixers that they don't like "coloring outside the lines"...me being a backyward wannebee shade tree mechanics who is recently retired from playing cops and robbers for 30 years was looking for a challenge. I got bored of working on Italian motorcycles and restoring old muscle cars, they no longer a challenge of any kind. Then I met awesomeness from this forum saw his truck spent about an hour with him he was gracious enough to drive me and my sweet Baboo around and I was hooked. the greatest challenges I know nothing about big trucks like this. Yes it's frustrating yes is expensive but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

and as for the crew at Daytona cat, they had a big six wheel Oshkosh mega military truck that they were replacing the engine .... those guys I got the impression truly wish to color outside the lines.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$10.5k for peace of mind and a fresh, running start is the right move.
I remember wishing to follow your lead when you were having a problem with the transfer case and I think between the both of us we are trying to figure out a way to remove the transfer case without taking a plasma cutter to the majority of the truck!.

as of yesterday MTP shipped out the transmission and it's on its way to Daytona cat as we speak. so my saga continues but I get the impression that I'm rounding third and coming to home plate

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the eagle has landed....at Daytona CAT/RingPower.. I'll speak with the general manager to see if we can orchestrate a series of "how to" pictures or even a video that rivals Broke Overland, NeilVVT or Fastidious Restomods... I'm sure insurance regulations for the business may be the obstacle but i'll give it a good Ol' LMTV try..Image.jpeg

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
..but more importantly the service manager at Daytona Ring Power, "Kyle*, walked me through the intended transmission R&R by demonstrating with another Oshkosh MV belonging to Seminole County Fire Services as a brush truck with the same transmission that they are replacing the engine ....he also introduced me to the lead service technician that will be performing the installation starting next Monday... class act for sure ..

On a side note, many of us have worked in crappy little garages over our lifetimes in one form or another, Daytona's shop was spotless, no pieces/parts scattered about the floor..., no work tables cluttered with tools, or music blaring.. just committed professional Technicians doing their jobs...every bay was full... comforting indeed...

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and to those super technical SS member mad scientists ( Awesomeness, Suprman, and especially Ronmar to name a few) these are the transmission dyno results...I have no idea what they mean, but if you read between the lines and look closely , there is a excellent recipe for Italian Supa de Peste' 20210819_151326.jpg20210819_151333.jpg20210819_151337.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks