• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be interested on knowing how the Lizard Skin works. I tried it on a 1009 and wasn't real thrilled with the results.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
I'd be interested on knowing how the Lizard Skin works. I tried it on a 1009 and wasn't real thrilled with the results.
How many coats, and where all did you shoot it?
My plan is cab doors next, the whole back of the cab. Then if I have any of the 2 gal left over, a second coat in the engine area.
I'll topcoat the inner fender areas with either a bedliner or their ceramic Lizard Skin for road debris abrasion.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many coats, and where all did you shoot it?
I just did the floor (front and back) with 2 coats. To be fair the 1009 is a giant tin can so sound and heat radiate off it pretty good. AND I'm in TX so heat is around more of the year than your part of the country.

Duckworthe

IMG_0672.jpgIMG_0673.jpg
I built a new trailer for the camper. It was a flatbed that I put sides on. I had to extend the tongue a couple feet to clear the rear bike rack on the camper while going the through very rough terrain.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
I just did the floor (front and back) with 2 coats. To be fair the 1009 is a giant tin can so sound and heat radiate off it pretty good. AND I'm in TX so heat is around more of the year than your part of the country.
When I lifted the floor mat today the original sound/heat insulation was flaking off the engine cover hump on the passenger side. Probably exhaust heat from the turbo etc.

20180815_184230.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

Update... more done to intermediate axle to prep for installing in A0 LMTV. In spirit of keeping the axle fab being done all in one post .... edited the update into my "axle post" before the post gets locked. Update added into this- What have you done to your FMTV thread; Not sure how long you have before posts get locked in here.

anyway..... for clarity.... no welding will need to be done to this cast axle housing for this modification to be done they way we are doing it.

update was inserted below videos located in post https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...r-LMTV-today&p=2151280&viewfull=1#post2151280

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just did a grease job, but have found a neat device that made the job SO much easier. There's a lock-on grease coupler, LockNlube, that grabs on to the Zerk and won't let go. Even the tough spring pivot fittings were easy to do.

I always hated to do a grease job because I don't have three hands. You know what I mean.. Now I only need two!

https://locknlube.com/

wandering neurons

Work over the last few weeks

Coworker and I built wooden trays to fit the under bed storage compartments. I don’t have rails or seats, so these will be used for long cargo that won’t fit in the cab but don’t want exposed in the bed. Need to put pulls on the trays and hasps for padlocks on the boxes.
Then spent a few hours with a welder to fit a 2” receiver to the back of the truck. It’s not removable but I’m not too worried about dragging it either. I may shorten it and re-drill the holes then repaint. And need a DEEP drop to hook up my utility trailer. But the tow bar works and I can flat tow the Zombie Truck

Attachments

wandering neurons

BTW, the white sail-looking thing in the bed is a cover over my davit crane. Universal bolt-in crane that is attached to a custom T-shaped post that I can move to any of the in-bed corner pockets. Poor mans LMHC. 1000lbs at 48”. Handy for loading and unloading tires and other heavy stuff.

Coworker and I built wooden trays to fit the under bed storage compartments. I don’t have rails or seats, so these will be used for long cargo that won’t fit in the cab but don’t want exposed in the bed. Need to put pulls on the trays and hasps for padlocks on the boxes.
Then spent a few hours with a welder to fit a 2” receiver to the back of the truck. It’s not removable but I’m not too worried about dragging it either. I may shorten it and re-drill the holes then repaint. And need a DEEP drop to hook up my utility trailer. But the tow bar works and I can flat tow the Zombie Truck

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
98 LMTV Cab soundproofing

20180819_125428.jpg20180819_144953.jpg20180819_152313.jpg

Stripping the cab, powerwashed inside and drip dried in prep for inside Lizard Skin and new paint and panels...
Pulling the heater next.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
20180820_201609.jpg

Ready to scrape and Ospho.

20180820_201635.jpg

What are these all for?
They look like the connectors on the back of the rocker switches.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
20180826_161524.jpg

If you haven't looked under the coating on the floor, you may be surprised at how much galvanic corrosion is going on at the spot welds...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks