• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely good to know.
the greatest obstacle I faced, after locating a retran, (I can't speak highly enough of DaMara Hansen at MTP Drivetrain) was finding a competent installer. As mentioned earlier, Orlando Allison said "if it has an Allison , we can fix it"...they gave me an $1100 shellacking in transport costs when , after one week, they inturn said "nope"... so Orlando Allison is dead to me and won't be getting a glowing Google Review....

Time will tell if Daytona CAT/RingPower will be the go to guys/gals for big-time repairs on any SE LMTVs, thus far Kyle 1 , service manager and Kyle 2 , lead mechanics have be super solid with me...should have my truck back by next week..🤞🤞🤞

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the greatest obstacle I faced, after locating a retran, (I can't speak highly enough of DaMara Hansen at MTP Drivetrain) was finding a competent installer. As mentioned earlier, Orlando Allison said "if it has an Allison , we can fix it"...they gave me an $1100 shellacking in transport costs when , after one week, they inturn said "nope"... so Orlando Allison is dead to me and won't be getting a glowing Google Review....

Time will tell if Daytona CAT/RingPower will be the go to guys/gals for big-time repairs on any SE LMTVs, thus far Kyle 1 , service manager and Kyle 2 , lead mechanics have be super solid with me...should have my truck back by next week..🤞🤞🤞
Which is crazy, because this stuff isn't rocket science. You unhook some wiring harnesses and driveshafts, unbolt the transmission, and take it out.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its likely a weight thing... as in not having an apparatus that can remove the trans. from below... or to remove the bed so can do it from above..
beg to differ..lol....
Daytona Cat/RingPower had the old tranny out and new tranny installed in 1 day....the lead technician said the greatest challenge was the proper drop angle due to the proximity of the crossmember...but as Awesomeness stated, it's easy as pie as confirmed by Daytona RingPower' s lead mechanic...it's just really heavy as in 1600 lbs..20210825_124020.jpg

Last edited:

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
figured while the truck was up in the air have them replace the u joints/balance and give the underside components a good lookie loo and address any potential issues..and thankfully the rear main seal was as dry as my 60 year old wife......(too much?)...lol

Attachments

Last edited:

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and since they drained the oil from both the TC/tranny..no additional suspected C6 thrust bearing piece/parts were located... in fact the transmission drain plugs/filters had a nominal amount of "fuzz" on them...in theory it appears the screen filter between the t/c and the scavenger pump on the tranny did its job....buuuut...looking back, I still am at peace with replacing the entire unit as opposed to just any mangled t/c components that may have been damaged when the suspected C6 thrust bearing bid this world adeu'...

Attachments

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I happen to have a huge apparatus, but nothing that can do the things you mentioned
P77.... aside from the military specific transmission transmission jack a "civilian" transmission jack won't cut it...the transmission jack they used is huge necessitating the truck to be raised ....so huge it could lift Rosie O'Donnell after 2 hours at the buffet line..

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and since they drained the oil from both the TC/tranny..no additional suspected C6 thrust bearing piece/parts were located... in fact the transmission drain plugs/filters had a nominal amount of "fuzz" on them...in theory it appears the screen filter between the t/c and the scavenger pump on the tranny did its job....buuuut...looking back, I still am at peace with replacing the entire unit as opposed to just any mangled t/c components that may have been damaged when the suspected C6 thrust bearing bid this world adeu'...
Gonna have it repaired and sell it?

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gonna have it repaired and sell it?
interesting that you mentioned that....rebuild costs are contingent upon the extent of internal damage..is the case is cracked or broken (location dependant)..no one will touch it.. in fact Momma Allison in Jacksonville stated they don't buy cores or rebuild MD3070's... MTP will give me a credit of..wait..wait... $400..and they pay for shipping back to Louisiana...unless a SS member needs transmission components ?

Bueller?

Bueller?

and since no metal fragments were found in the transmission drain plug/filters/fluid, it appears the $300 C6 thrust bearing may have been the culprit...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
interesting that you mentioned that....rebuild costs are contingent upon the extent of internal damage..is the case is cracked or broken (location dependant)..no one will touch it.. in fact Momma Allison in Jacksonville stated they don't buy cores or rebuild MD3070's... MTP will give me a credit of..wait..wait... $400..and they pay for shipping back to Louisiana...unless a SS member needs transmission components ?

Bueller?

Bueller?

and since no metal fragments were found in the transmission drain plug/filters/fluid, it appears the $300 C6 thrust bearing may have been the culprit...
Wish I had my shop built. I'm on a waiting list till sometime next year to get the thing started.

Otherwise I'd be interested in going through it to see how tough it is to rebuild. I've done plenty of old school turbohydromatics. Other than being a lot bigger I can't imagine that is any more challenging.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I had my shop built. I'm on a waiting list till sometime next year to get the thing started.

Otherwise I'd be interested in going through it to see how tough it is to rebuild. I've done plenty of old school turbohydromatics. Other than being a lot bigger I can't imagine that is any more challenging.
there is a forum member that did the tranny removal and complete tear down/rebuild with limited Transmission knowledge and heavy use of the TMs...I'll try and find the thread..

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter

here is the thread

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks