• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Air Conditioning

Andy and I installed my Coleman Roughneck Low Profile 13.5 BTU air conditioner. It’s running off my MEP-803A…..plenty of back-up power 8). We did run it off the MEP-531 for a while, it ran it at 75% load, the 531 is noisy. It’s nice to have AC. This was the easiest and cheapest way for me to achieve AC. The Coleman was mid $800 range shipped to me…….already had the generators.

Attachments

coachgeo

Andy and I installed my Coleman Roughneck Low Profile 13.5 BTU air conditioner. It’s running off my MEP-803A…..plenty of back-up power 8). We did run it off the MEP-531 for a while, it ran it at 75% load, the 531 is noisy. It’s nice to have AC. This was the easiest and cheapest way for me to achieve AC. The Coleman was mid $800 range shipped to me…….already had the generators.
RE: the 531, diesel likes to be at a high load.... they work forever like that. I would build a quiet box for it and use the 531. Will sip less fuel and love its job. The 803a is under taxed ..... easier to coke up engine being under taxed and shorten its life

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to figure out how to quiet the 531 down......a lot, or hook up a clothes dryer to the 803 to put a load on it.

RE: the 531, diesel likes to be at a high load.... they work forever like that. I would build a quiet box for it and use the 531. Will sip less fuel and love its job. The 803a is under taxed ..... easier to coke up engine being under taxed and shorten its life

coachgeo

I need to figure out how to quiet the 531 down......a lot, or hook up a clothes dryer to the 803 to put a load on it.
lot of threads and video's in many places on making sound boxes for generators. Would help to mount it as far back as possible on truck as well. Considering it will only really be used when driving.... should be able to push air into sound box pretty easy.. Install fan for idoling; maybe via thermostat inside sound box?

Last edited:

srodocker

Man, just like when I had the deuce and everyone was getting the 900 series the fmtv/lmtvs are growing more and more on me. Love the work you guys are all doing

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_2155.jpgIMG_2156.jpgStarted installing the high speed gears in the 1078. Front was a complete axle swap already containing the 3:07 gears and next Monday finish the rear diff swap (with Locker!). With the truck already having the 290 hp upgrade, these gears should be perfect.

Ambeihl

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a year of electrical tracing, leaking fuel hoses, terminal cleaning, transmission work and replacing various parts I finally got my m1078 to start for the first time. Final issue was that someone had put a jumper on the 24v load and the 24v battery terminals on the load battery control device. After I took that off it started on the first push of the start button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

coachgeo

After a year of electrical tracing, leaking fuel hoses, terminal cleaning, transmission work and replacing various parts I finally got my m1078 to start for the first time. Final issue was that someone had put a jumper on the 24v load and the 24v battery terminals on the load battery control device. After I took that off it started on the first push of the start button.
much congrats..... bet that is such a relief.

wonder if that caused any potential damage further up the line? Any one got insight...... if not... might be an interesting hidden "defeat" "anti theft" thing one could add (but thru a switched solenoid)

Last edited:

Ambeihl

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the loose cable end on the left?
That is a ground. I had it off to clean it and replace the bolt and washer that was holding it down. I don't know if this jumper wire is what did all the damage to my truck but something blew up the transmission controller and took 2 solenoids in the transmission with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ronmar

That is a ground. I had it off to clean it and replace the bolt and washer that was holding it down. I don't know if this jumper wire is what did all the damage to my truck but something blew up the transmission controller and took 2 solenoids in the transmission with it.
Well the labeling leads me to believe that is the polarity protection device. Diodes in an aluminum heatsync that only allow current to flow one direction. The only reason to bypass it would be if you suspected the diode was bad.

But lets play what if... So your are a new mechanic fresh out of school and full of “knowledge” and hookup batteries backward and of course nothing works. Then your vast intelect deduces that the polarity box has mysteriously gone bad as you have voltage up to the batt terminal(wrong polarity but it is present) but not onto the load terminal, so you bypass it and succeed in accomplishing what the box was put in there to prevent, and now things REALLY dont work as you have let the magic smoke out of them...

That little jumper by itself shouldnt cause any problem as current is supposed to flow between those two terminals if the batteries are hooked up correctly. Add in backward connected batteries however and I think that probably caused your issues...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks