• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adventure Driven's photos and videos of their M1079

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More work than I’d care to handle. I’m sure I’d be halfway into something like that and have to call in the support team.

rd3war

I just noticed your winch mounted under the bumper in your photo. Do you have anymore pics or info on how you mounted it. I've seen them mounted above the bumper, in front of and now yours tucked in below.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hubs are easier than expected. Just get a hub tool made from an old cover if you can find one. While the valve covers off, how about that fuel screw?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Cat procedure for doing the valve adjustment mentions using the alternator or other engine accessory and a wrench to rotate the engine.
TM says by turning the alternator pulley (which I wasn't able to do by hand, but was able to do with a big socket and ratchet).

Hubs are easier than expected. Just get a hub tool made from an old cover if you can find one. While the valve covers off, how about that fuel screw?
Is there a post with instructions / pictures of this?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
35DC9CFA-8FBA-49A6-9BDA-844CD75840D1.jpg373F8C9A-B14B-471C-9D84-4AD2A28DF9F6.jpgHub tool. Procedure is to install everything and torque this ring down, then feel for backlash on the small hub gears. Ideal is with your fingers just feel ever so slightly the smallest amount of movement. Tight gears are bad, loose gears are bad. Getting the perfect shim pack is the hardest part. I try to use the least amount of shims to get there. Don’t quote me but I think you want 10 to 20 thousandths of lash.

perfect, thanks so much, can I rent that tool from you? I have 2 used hubs in stock, but I do not have a way to make the tool/hub in the photo

Seth

View attachment 713961View attachment 713960Hub tool. Procedure is to install everything and torque this ring down, then feel for backlash on the small hub gears. Ideal is with your fingers just feel ever so slightly the smallest amount of movement. Tight gears are bad, loose gears are bad. Getting the perfect shim pack is the hardest part. I try to use the least amount of shims to get there. Don’t quote me but I think you want 10 to 20 thousandths of lash.

I can get some for you, but it hangs to low, we have dragged it a few times, we are going to move it up out of the way,

Seth
I just noticed your winch mounted under the bumper in your photo. Do you have anymore pics or info on how you mounted it. I've seen them mounted above the bumper, in front of and now yours tucked in below.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 713961View attachment 713960Hub tool. Procedure is to install everything and torque this ring down, then feel for backlash on the small hub gears. Ideal is with your fingers just feel ever so slightly the smallest amount of movement. Tight gears are bad, loose gears are bad. Getting the perfect shim pack is the hardest part. I try to use the least amount of shims to get there. Don’t quote me but I think you want 10 to 20 thousandths of lash.
So this is just an old bowl-shaped cover, with the "bottom of the bowl" machined off to leave the ring?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this is just an old bowl-shaped cover, with the "bottom of the bowl" machined off to leave the ring?
Yep
thats what i wondered also

Seth
I got one from a member here for this purpose. Not sure how much to cut off so I haven't yet.
I think all you need is enough ring left to hold the four shafts for the spider gears. As long as you can hold the gears in place so the backlash can be measured/adjusted. R&R is required to change out shims each time you get it wrong, but it works good.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can band saw cut the cover, plasma the cover, what you need is a way to hold the spider in and check the gear lash. If I had my lathe set up I’d cut a cover for you, but I’m a few weeks from making that happen. I had a friend bandsaw mine and he was kind enough to face it in a lathe. Only cost me a few beers. I can send you more detailed photos and measurements if you would like. This is a must have tool for your tool box and since you have spare caps then you should get one made. Or two and trade one off.

ok, I understand, I will get busy on this, and yes I would love to have the info/photos and measurements super please

Seth

You can band saw cut the cover, plasma the cover, what you need is a way to hold the spider in and check the gear lash. If I had my lathe set up I’d cut a cover for you, but I’m a few weeks from making that happen. I had a friend bandsaw mine and he was kind enough to face it in a lathe. Only cost me a few beers. I can send you more detailed photos and measurements if you would like. This is a must have tool for your tool box and since you have spare caps then you should get one made. Or two and trade one off.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve 6x6x6. Is the creator of this method. I asked him all the questions you all ask now, my turn to help. FYI the way mine is cut it needs shorter bolts as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks