• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Sound - CMP HUP cold start

CMPPhil

Hi All

In the vain of trying to track down the source of noises that occur with MVs. The truck in question is a 1945 Canadian Military Pattern CMP model HUP Heavy Utility Personnel. Truck had a complete overhaul about 3 years ago I've owned it since 1979 and been driving regularly since 1980.

Now to the point went out to play in the snow this morning after the storm that hit the North East. The following video is the starting sequence.

The transmission is common to Chevy heavy trucks of 30s & 40s

I'm in a quandary as to the source, my thoughts run from the squirrels banging on the door to get out before I leave the garage to mice in the bell housing. The noise occurs only when the temperature is very low But not every time the truck is started in the cold.

Cheers Phil

https://youtu.be/rVMBXy9ImZ8

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks