• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine/Trans out...what now?

spillmk1

Got the engine and trans out. Hasn't ran for about 16 years.
Obviously needs gaskets and seals.
Looking at changing water pump and rebuilding fuel pump and carb.
New belts and all new rubber hoses.
Any other thoughts while I have her took apart?

As for brakes.....new everything on all 4 corners and a master cylinder
coming soon.

Radiator and gas tank out for repair/refurb.

Wiring hacked a bit over the years. Have to get that back in shape.

Have about 6 cans of brake cleaner, 8 cans of engine degreaser, and a pressure washer
for the body and chassis. Time for a BIT of cleaning!!!

Thanks,
Keith

20170318_165118.jpg20170318_165439.jpg20170318_165451.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These aren't long lasting engines (IMHO). They are in vehicles with very deep gearing, so just to make roadway speed (4550mpg) they are running at redline. To make matters worse, they have a really long stroke, so 3k rpms of crank speed is a lot of piston speed, because the piston has such a long distance to travel. If I had one apart like what you're doing, I'd pull the engine apart and inspect the pistons, rings, bores, crank and rod journals and bearings. These are cheap engines to rebuild (my local machine shop charged me $500 to do everything: vat the block, bore and hone with a deck plate, complete valve job with new guides, etc.) and doing it now means you don't have to go back into it.

When you reassemble the engine, regardless of what you do to it, you have to prime the oil pump. Pack it full of grease.

I feel the same way about the trans and transfer. You pretty much won't find a simpler transmission and transfer to rebuild.

When you rebuild the brake system, convert it to DOT5.

While you have it apart, there are overdrives available for these transfer cases that will help you move along with the flow of modern traffic a little better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks