• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy 4x4 Dump (K30) Recovered

Keith_J

Great choice. Detroits are strong like bull. Gov locks are hand grenades. I just found out the Detroit design is pre WWII. Hard to beat time proven designs.

Its no magic. Just an overrunning clutch which works in either direction. But if the wheel that is getting torque slips, the other wheel engages and the axle is now a spool.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great choice. Detroits are strong like bull. Gov locks are hand grenades. I just found out the Detroit design is pre WWII. Hard to beat time proven designs.

Its no magic. Just an overrunning clutch which works in either direction. But if the wheel that is getting torque slips, the other wheel engages and the axle is now a spool.
I agree. When I put the chassis cab axle in my SECM, I took the time to remove the NoSPIN from the existing axle and reinstall it. Actually, I did that on the other truck with the C&C axle too. I wished I had time to go get the other one I have. Oh well, I'll install it eventually.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is the right way to blow something up w/ extreme prejudice.

I had a junky Road Runner daily driver w/ a 383, 4speed and a 3.91 chunk (8 3/4") that used the '69+ pinion crush sleeve.

Got to work one morning and that last 1/4 mile, something sounded a little different in the back. Was at work all day and went to the parts house down the street, on the way home to grab a chunk gasket and some gear oil (planned on pulling the chunk and inspecting). Didn't make it to the parts house.

Catastrophic failure of the ring and pinion. I've always theorized (this was late 1990s) that the crush sleeve failed, either it got tighter or looser and the pinion bearing failed and failed in a way to allow enough pinion gear movement that everything refused to continue playing together.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,

I thought you had a rusty ole wrecker as well? I didn't see in in the yard line up so I thought I'd ask.

Rick
I did. Prior to my move, I scrapped the wrecker (another collosal waste of money). The chassis cab truck I created out of the M1008 was sold (and I've regretted it since).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's finally back on the road. Note, long side axle shaft out of a 98 is 3/8" shorter.

14 bolts are such a joy to set up. While I was working on this, I figured that I would install the fabricated cover that I've had for some time. Only problem was I couldn't find it. I ended up using one of these. https://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=35&idcategory=9
They were on sale too. 1st warning, prepare to hog out several holes that we're off and 2nd, don't use brakekleen on cover. It will destroy the finish in milliseconds. I'll put up a pic when I get home.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks