• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting camper build tomorrow

Masspilot

So I will keep u all posted on the build and try to post pick along the way. This is the way It looks now going to be alot different when finished.KIMG0097.jpg

Masspilot

It's not a military enclosure the guy I got the truck from used it as a service truck off-road for heavy equipment.

Oski1868

I sense a trend ....

Just ordered a batch of aluminum square tubing for my little M1078 project.

Finished the frame extension and stake bed ....

truck_bed.jpg

Now comes the camper box that will lift on and off ....

truck_drawing02.jpgtruck_drawing01.jpg

I sense a great many of us are anxious to get out of the house and hit the road (or off-road as it may be)!

Masspilot

Picked all my windows and doors today. Anyone looking for RV windows or doors or anything let me know there is a really nice guy about 20 min from me that has nothing but 2012 and newer insurance junked RVs he is super good on prices for all my appliances and rest of my stuff for under 2000$

Masspilot

No pass I want to save the tire carrier. Plus then you have to design a way to seal up the tunnel and I just don't want to get into all that

coachgeo

No pass I want to save the tire carrier. Plus then you have to design a way to seal up the tunnel and I just don't want to get into all that
Check state codes. To register it as an RV you might HAVE to have a way to get from cab to box. Besides... you can just reinstall the OEM tire carrier at the rear instead. Will just need a longer hydraulic line.

Last edited:

Masspilot

This is Kentucky you can drive around with no hood,doors,roof, trunk lid, you could even have all the fenders off the vehicle and tires wide open they don't care they just want the tax revenue. I will cross that bridge when it comes up plus I already looked into it. It's under 26000 lbs so it would fall under the class of RV like in the back bed of a truck

ramdough

Just ordered a batch of aluminum square tubing for my little M1078 project.

Finished the frame extension and stake bed ....

View attachment 672456

Now comes the camper box that will lift on and off ....

View attachment 672457View attachment 672458

I sense a great many of us are anxious to get out of the house and hit the road (or off-road as it may be)!
How did you extend the frame? Or are you just talking about the bed frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oski1868

Frame extension ....

I had steel fabricated that matched the upper and lower rails. I also had pieces fabricated to go inside each rail. Put this all together and welded the **** of it.

Since it was the same profile as the old frame ... the light bars and rear cross plate were easy to fit. I thought about the issue of towing ... but for now I am not too worried about it .... maybe down the line I will add a hitch. I certainly lose some angle on the rear end for steep terrain ... but my main goal was to get more square footage for the camper box. (that makes a happy wife .... steep grades do not!)

At one point I had thought about putting a lift back there ... so I wanted it pretty stout. I have pretty much given up on that idea .... now it will just have to support the back end of the camper ...

IMG_20160215_161621.jpg

frame extension02sm.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks