• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Constant running fan.

Bravojmc

Ok guys my fan is running all the time. When I unplug the module the fan moves forward the 1/4" and starts moving more air. I took the Cadillac valve off and cleaned it out with the air/cleaner to make sure nothing was gunking it up. Reinstalled the valve and same thing.... i also wapped the fan clutch pack with a rubber mallet to see if the clutches were stuck, nothing. I have the temp sensor on order as well as the module. I personally think it's the fan clutch pack but who knows... Anyone have any ideas?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you thinking that when the fan is disengaged it does not spin at all? That is not the case. It freewheels when not engaged.

Bravojmc

No it runs! When I inguage the fan it only kick up maybe 10%.
im truck runs at around 160 degrees and really have to run it hard to get it to 190 degrees... I've replaced the thermostat , thinking it was stuck open... Not the case..

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think the bearings in the clutch are seizing, but wait for others to chime in before you pull anything apart. I have not personally run into this.

Cobra38

If you have air try and send some down the hose from the valve to the fan clutch. It should release the clutches and you should be able to turn the fan by hand. I think it is the second hose. I am having the same problem. Did this to mine last weekend and it worked. The fan turned. I don't think I have electricity coming to my time delay module next to the valve. Might be both our problems.

Bravojmc

Mine has done the exact same thing since I bought it.

Always figured that was what it was supposed to do.
No sir it's not normal... My fan runs at 85% all the time until I hit 215 and it make a tinny bit more noise. I really need to figure this shot out! It's bugging me the death!
I know these aren't power house engines but the fan running all the time is killing my power...
It takes my truck 16 miles to get my truck up to 200 degrees....

Last edited:

3jacks

I am having the exact same problem. Replaced thermostat, whacked the clutch pack...everything you did. Anxiously following this thread for input...

Bravojmc

I'm going to put a new module and thermostatic switch in. If thats not it then I'll have spares.
I really think it's going to be the fan clutch pack tho...
what doesn't make sense to me is that when I unplug the module my fan moves forward the 1/4" and moves a (tad) more air... but my fan is diff ingauged like 85% of its power 99% of the time.... If and when I can get my truck up to the 215 the fan engages and moves maybe 10% more air if that... wish I could figure out how to post video...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing electrically is going to make the mechanical side work only half way...IMO.
The system is simple...you either have 24v's to the TDM or you don't. That 24v comes from the engine harness direct to the thermostatic switch, that switch is either open or closed based on temp.
the fan clutch moves the fan outward when engaged about 1/4in. If the clutch plates in the fan clutch are seized to the housing, the fan will stay engaged, this is the most common due to the fact that it's always engaged when off or even sitting In a box on the shelf in my shop. I always test them with shop air before install and most of the time have to whack the housing a few times to get it going. You can do the same test in you truck...once air is applied, see that the blade can be turned by hand, when no alr, you should be able to turn the crank by grabbing the fan blade.
Have you checked the tension or replaced you fan belts? If your pulleys or belts are worn or loose...you won't get the full effect.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks