• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Constant running fan.

Bravojmc

If I unplug the module at high idle like I said it does move the 1/4" or so and move a tinny bit more air... The fan howels through out all RPMS from 100 degrees-200 degrees without being engaged... My opinion is the fan is semi working by engaging but not complete diengaging.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fan should free wheel with the engine off and cold, correct?
No, the power steering pump needs to develop pressure in order for the clutch to disengage. If you want to test the clutch with the engine off (so you don't lose your fingers grabbing the fan), apply pressure to the line with compressed air. Fan should spin easily. If it's dragging, the clutch is shot.

Wire Fox

Ok guys before I put air to the system I could not stop the fan. Now after putting air to the system about 25 times she works!!!!!! View attachment 672795

I bet the fan was just sitting for awhile and needed the air multi times to free up.
So it sounds like what a couple of the guys here were saying... You could see the hydraulic system move the fan in an out, so the hydraulics were working. Therefore, it was a clutch assembly problem. There was a suggestion to do something to break it free, like hook an air line up to it or knock on the housing with a mallet. Seems that while that didn't immediately work for you, cycling it numerous times in succession did work. Glad to see you have success!

Bravojmc

I did both. First mallet a day ago then air ,nothing....Then I got pissed and hooked up to air again and gave her 25 and pow she's golden.
thanks guys for the suggestions!

Ddk2001

Interesting. My HMMWV never gets above 190 degrees - and I've never heard that "loud" sound of the fan coming on - now I know why . . . Must be on all the time.

I'm going to check the clutch pack tomorrow. Where do I apply air to try to get everything to move? What psi?

Thx
-D

Bravojmc

Interesting. My HMMWV never gets above 190 degrees - and I've never heard that "loud" sound of the fan coming on - now I know why . . . Must be on all the time.

I'm going to check the clutch pack tomorrow. Where do I apply air to try to get everything to move? What psi?

Thx
-D
disconnect the line going to the front of the fan/clutch and apply there.

Bravojmc

Sorry if this is an obvious question - but - disconnect it at the clutch (see pic)? Should I expect to lose any fluid when I disconnect it?

thx
D
I wouldn't disconnect at the clutch. Follow the hose from the clutch back to the caddy value next to the washer fluid. Disconnect there and apply air. Honestly I didn't loose any fluid.

Ddk2001

I wouldn't disconnect at the clutch. Follow the hose from the clutch back to the caddy value next to the washer fluid. Disconnect there and apply air. Honestly I didn't loose any fluid.
Problem fixed. Took quite a bit of time with the air and some light taps - but it eventually broke free. Amazing how much quieter it is too. Oddly enough - the TDM was unplugged too (wires were underneath the cadillac valve). Plugged it in and the fan disengaged. Took it for a ride until it reach 220 and the fan kicked on. It's in the low 60s here this morning - while doing some easy driving the temp didn't want to get above 210.

Many thanks for the help.

D

Action

Problem fixed. Took quite a bit of time with the air and some light taps - but it eventually broke free. Amazing how much quieter it is too. Oddly enough - the TDM was unplugged too (wires were underneath the cadillac valve). Plugged it in and the fan disengaged. Took it for a ride until it reach 220 and the fan kicked on. It's in the low 60s here this morning - while doing some easy driving the temp didn't want to get above 210.

D
So, all you really needed to do was plug the connectors back together? The fan will always run constantly with that unplugged.

Jakob1944

D

So after you pushed air against hydro fluid in the line to disengage the fan are you going to have to purge the system of air?...

Ddk2001

The fan clutch was stuck - so it wasn't just the plug. First dozen or more times I added air the fan wouldn't move in and out. It took quite a while to get it unstuck. Once it was moving freely with the air. - I reassembled and started the truck - and the fan stayed on. Found the disconnected plug and that was it. Drove it more today. - amazing you can tell the power difference with the fan disengaged most of the time.

As for the air - I didn't purge any air and put around 50 miles on it today without any issues.

Bravojmc

My fan is on all the time, could not move the fan blade when the engine is off. Cadi valve is very hot. Please help. Thanks
have you followed this whole thread?
Caddy valve is going to be hot depending on how long your engines been running.
If you unplug the caddy valve does your fan move forward?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks