• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1500 mostly uneventful miles

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up an M923 and drove it from near Chicago to just south of Albuquerque.

Unlike most of my trips, this one was relatively uneventful in the scheme of things.

The truck is a KS RSMS truck, which already stacks the deck in my favor. Further, the previous owner has more or less gone through it. (I say "more or less" because we all have different ways of doing things. His way is fine.)

Still, the truck hasn't been driven extensively in the past little bit, so there's always going to be surprises.

Surprise number 1 was that the exhaust came off above the muffler, just as I merged onto the interstate the first time. I pulled over to the shoulder and secured it into the bed. The truck now sounds bigger and meaner :)

It was all kinds of windy for most of the drive. I lost a canvas out of the back in the middle of the first afternoon. I flipped a u-turn across the interstate divider and managed to get back to it before it got ran over. The interstate divider had a stream running through the middle of it, so I managed to get the truck muddy and ended up engaging the front axle...

The fuel gauge stopped working after the first fill. I presumed i sank the float, but upon closer inspection the sending unit failed. (Anybody got a part number?)

I stopped in KS and offloaded some stuff and on loaded some stuff. But most importantly I grabbed my basic set of recovery tools - jacks, wrenches, slave cables, battery charger, etc...

The truck is equipped with a soft cab top in NOS condition . Like all of them, this one started to let go across the front seam. I wear safety glasses when driving, mostly to prevent wayward grit in the eyes, and this time it really paid off. About 80 miles from Tucumcari I got caught in what AZ calls a microburst - sudden tremendous downpour combined with heavy wind and hail. Soft cab top peeled all the way back, I'm beaten senseless by hail (OUCH!) and I thought the truck was going to overturn. This little storm did overturn a Werner tractor trailer, tractor and trailer...

I stopped for the night in Tucumcari. The next morning, park brake lever no longer applies air to the springbrakes, no longer releasing them. The override button on the dash releases them, so I isolated this to the park brake lever. Repeated manipulation resolves this, but it recurs intermittently for the rest of the trip. Disassembly and lubrication should resolve this.

The following day I continued to RGS20inophir''s house, taking a break midafternoon to chase cans on GL (who wants a can?). We did some trivial surface rust removal and painting, the truck attended the MudBog event (without getting muddy) and then I flew home Sunday (yuck).

And then to the emergency room Monday :(

attachment-26.jpgtur.jpg20170320_194618.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sender is 40 from memphis equipment. On a stock g177 truck figure 350mi per 80gal tank. Into a head wind about 290mi

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

71DeuceAK

98G, Dude, you have some of the craziest stories! This truck yours or someone else's you're recovering?

I can't wait for the maiden/recovery trip from CA to AK in my M923 I'm getting, it'll be an adventure either way!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Maybe you should add a ratchet strap to your recovery tools. Next time you can ensure the cab cover stays on with the strap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks